UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll/VRV ending partnership with FUNimation; replacing them with Sentai/HIDIVE!

OwlChemist81

10 minutes ago, Jman said:

Replacing FUNi with HDIVE is like replacing a car with a bicycle.  It’s just not the same.

Well at least if I get VRV, I can play HiDive on my TV set instead of waiting for them to get on Roku and fussing with the damn uncooperative desktop browser player to work!

And like I noted in that thread, this blows because between Crunchyroll and FUNi, you got roughly 85% of everything worth a damn in the US with only a few scant exceptions.  Not so much with HDIVE.

And for bonus points I need to redo my budget...again.  I swear, I hope DC’s service rots on the vine and is discontinued this time next year.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, mochi said:

well okay now this throws a wrench into things since that means Warner doesn't have automatic access to Funi licenses due to their purchase of Crunchyroll anymore

The two are now owned by rival telecommunication corporations.  This should have been predicted a year ago when SONY purchased Funimation.  This really makes me wonder why Funimation partnered with Crunchyroll in the first place.

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Lol, and people thought streaming was going to be way better than cable.

It still is, considering the sheer volume of material vs a cable block.  Especially for anime fans.

I’m just waiting for the inevitable market crunch, the same one that put channels that were too niche out of business.  Remember TechTv?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jman said:

And like I noted in that thread, this blows because between Crunchyroll and FUNi, you got roughly 85% of everything worth a damn in the US with only a few scant exceptions.  Not so much with HDIVE.

And for bonus points I need to redo my budget...again.  I swear, I hope DC’s service rots on the vine and is discontinued this time next year.

Before you bail on VRV, watch Lastman. You'd probably love it and it's pretty short. Pretty difficult to find the VRV dub anywhere else, and that's a great dub.

7 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

Before you bail on VRV, watch Lastman. You'd probably love it and it's pretty short. Pretty difficult to find the VRV dub anywhere else, and that's a great dub.

VRV gave everyone two months free as a make good after what happened, so yeah, I will.

Honestly what I’m expecting is a lot more account sharing.

7 hours ago, naraku360 said:

The quality of streaming drops because now there's significantly less on CR/VRV. There's still a lot, but the removal of Funi means taking a major hit.

But you can still watch Funimation's shows on .. FUNIMATION! Or Hulu!  Shows aren't disappearing. They're just going to another place to see them.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I figure this might finally get me to sit down and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. But I just checked the catalog over at HIDIVE and could see how some people could be disappointed.

For me it may get me to finally watch Land of the Lustrous when it's on VRV on a TV set instead, because IT WON'T PLAY ON HIDIVE'S AWFUL DESKTOP BROWSER PLAYER!

15 minutes ago, elfie said:

But you can still watch Funimation's shows on .. FUNIMATION! Or Hulu!  Shows aren't disappearing. They're just going to another place to see them.

No doy.

I don't have Funimation. I don't have Hulu. I had VRV because it included both CR and Funimation for less than the cost of the 2 subscriptions combimed, much less those 2 plus Hulu.

You're arguing in favor of doing something I could have done already but didn't because it's objectively worse.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 2

I had a little extra money and was considering getting VRV, but after this announcement, I'm not so sure...

I doubt it will be an issue for Funimation (people will just subscribe to Funi if they want to watch), but Funi and Crunchyroll's partnership dissolving is still a pretty big hit.  I've never even heard of HIDIVE before entering this thread; to be completely honest with you, when I first saw the title I thought it was a hentai site.  Partnering with Crunchy will probably be good in giving them exposure, but if their lineup is as small as people say it is, the exposure might do more damage to them than good.