UnevenEdge

Old Anime Mood

Hidden

what did you watch the last time you were in the mood for an old anime?

could be something you hadnt or already had seen. if it was a rewatch, did it age well? did you like it as much as you did the first time around? and what genre was it (maybe ill give it a watch myself if it sounds interesting)?

and for this, ill say old is anything from '10 to earlier.

I think maybe the last one I can think of was rewatching Rurouni Kenshin after seeing the live action movies.  It's still pretty good, though I have less tolerance for the goofiness.  The actual sword fights still rule though, especially Kenshin v Saito.

Of course the most recent would be Cowboy Bebop's unedited re-airing on Toonami, with Faye not busting in on a dude having sex with his invisible-but-not-silent partner, and with the video restored to its original brightness so that Annie doesn't look like she's in blackface while dying.  It really holds up well, still surpassing 95% of anything put out today.

• Like 2

Gunbuster- Idk if the animation aged well but it's a landmark in anime that many still borrow from, so in that sense it aged incredibly well.

Only Yesterday- Ghibli so it ages like wine and this one is one of Isao Takahata's best

Oops forgot genre- Gunbuster is mecha and Only Yesterday is slice of life

Edited by scope
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 1:54 AM, Ric said:

I prefer old anime for the most part. I watch it more than new stuff.

oh for sure, same. but in my case i mostly just dont watch much or anything, 'cause im not too keen on searching for old stuff. i usually find them cause i already plan to watch them. or by chance.

so im looking for ideas.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:13 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

I think maybe the last one I can think of was rewatching Rurouni Kenshin after seeing the live action movies.  It's still pretty good, though I have less tolerance for the goofiness.  The actual sword fights still rule though, especially Kenshin v Saito.

Of course the most recent would be Cowboy Bebop's unedited re-airing on Toonami, with Faye not busting in on a dude having sex with his invisible-but-not-silent partner, and with the video restored to its original brightness so that Annie doesn't look like she's in blackface while dying.  It really holds up well, still surpassing 95% of anything put out today.

oh they did a re-ariring? never knew. i was in the middle of re-watching bebop months and months ago but stopped..maybe i should go back and watch that version.

i think i rewatched kenshin last year? i still love the action too..as a matter of fact ill sometimes put on a few episodes to sleep to if im in the mood.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

hmmm the last "old" thing I watched was Monster, but here lately I've been really itching to watch all the Gundams.

ohhh gundam wing...thanks for the reminder.

i cant wait till i want to rewatch monster. saw it for the first time two or three years ago? i was in love. the atmosphere in that show is my favorite out of all anime ive seen alongside higurashi. both of those pulled me in so nicely. comfy stuff.

On 9/21/2018 at 8:22 PM, scope said:

Gunbuster- Idk if the animation aged well but it's a landmark in anime that many still borrow from, so in that sense it aged incredibly well.

Only Yesterday- Ghibli so it ages like wine and this one is one of Isao Takahata's best

Oops forgot genre- Gunbuster is mecha and Only Yesterday is slice of life

thank you my man. both oldies and sound nice...and i see what youre saying about gunbuster.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 4:31 AM, Hidden said:

what did you watch the last time you were in the mood for an old anime?

could be something you hadnt or already had seen. if it was a rewatch, did it age well? did you like it as much as you did the first time around? and what genre was it (maybe ill give it a watch myself if it sounds interesting)?

and for this, ill say old is anything from '10 to earlier.

I'm about to rewatch Toradora with my girlfriend this weekend. She wants a rom-com, that will be the oldest thing I am rewatching, but this thread has me thinking about watching an old gem. I am slowly watching Cowboy Bebop - introducing him it to him for the first time, but that doesn't really count since it's been slow and bi-weekly.

Random first episodes of shows on Netflix like Inuyasha, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, and Samurai Champloo.

I did go through a couple episodes of Ghost in the Shell, Sailor Moon, and GTO recently. I also have a lot of 80’s anime on my “Plan to Watch” list like City Hunter and older Rumiko Takahashi shows.

Haven’t been able to commit to watching through an older series lately though with how busy I’ve gotten.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 10:26 PM, MJ Eating Popcorn said:

I'm about to rewatch Toradora with my girlfriend this weekend. She wants a rom-com, that will be the oldest thing I am rewatching, but this thread has me thinking about watching an old gem. I am slowly watching Cowboy Bebop - introducing him it to him for the first time, but that doesn't really count since it's been slow and bi-weekly.

enjoy, my friend. taiga was and maybe still is one of my top 3 tsunderes out there..gave that show a 10 when i watched it..only seen it once, though.

think i even had it in my top 5 or 10 around that time.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:05 AM, imchapp.in said:

Everything’s good. I just started a new job last month so I’ve been having to get the hang of it, especially since it’s far less lenient and way smaller than anywhere else I’ve worked for. 

I see. hope things continue to go well.