UnevenEdge

So about Hunter x Hunter ...

Azalar Hex

A while back it seemed to be pretty popular for folks to say the show gets all twisted and dark compared to its first episodes ... are we still waiting on that point?  Ripping out a dude's heart is kinda ... meh.

I don't need spoilers, just reassurances that my nephew is gonna scar his psyche at some point.

He did watch AoT, though ...

It's hilarious how people are like ...

it's only been 34 episodes, ya just gotta wait... it's building up to something! Any minute now it's gonna get good!

That's like watching 3 seasons of a normal anime waiting for it to get good.

A while back it seemed to be pretty popular for folks to say the show gets all twisted and dark compared to its first episodes ... are we still waiting on that point?  Ripping out a dude's heart is kinda ... meh.

I don't need spoilers, just reassurances that my nephew is gonna scar his psyche at some point.

He did watch AoT, though ...

It gets pretty morbid.

Not sure I'd call it scarring, unless your nephew is fairly young. But in Japan it started in s children's timeslot, then later on had to be switched to a midnight slot out of content concerns. But no, Toonami isn't quite at the heavier stuff yet.

It gets pretty morbid.

Not sure I'd call it scarring, unless your nephew is fairly young. But in Japan it started in s children's timeslot, then later on had to be switched to a midnight slot out of content concerns. But no, Toonami isn't quite at the heavier stuff yet.

So what you're saying is... in the same amount of time I could've spent watching Cowboy Bebop + FLCL, I instead wasted watching 30-something episodes of suck... on the promise of "it gets DARK!!!" later on?  Yep, I sure did waste my time.  I could've been watching Fairy Tail with that time instead.  Bleh.

HEY I CAN DO THAT EVERY WEEK NOW SO I DON'T HAVE TO DICK AROUND ON THE BOARDS WHILE HIATUS IS ON!  I'M A BLOODY GENIUS!

That being said, it kinda annoys me when people consider things getting better just because it gets darker. That's nonsense.

I mean, HxH gets more interesting later on, but not because it gets more violent. Using that as a crutch for explaining the show is better than others is the wrong way to go about it.

That being said, it kinda annoys me when people consider things getting better just because it gets darker. That's nonsense.

I mean, HxH gets more interesting later on, but not because it gets more violent. Using that as a crutch for explaining the show is better than others is the wrong way to go about it.

Ben admitted last night that he was using his "it gets dark therefore good" argument against people that never said that.

I never claimed it gets good because it gets dark. Does it get dark? Absolutely.

Are some of the dark scenes among the best in the show? Yeah, I'd say so.

Are they good purely because they're dark? No.

Ben uses t as a strawman to distract from his intellectual dishonesty, but ironically draws attention to it in the process.

I'm enjoying it for what it is.  Then again I don't hate Kekkaishi and Naruto with a frothing rage like most people seem to these days.

It's good to know at least that I'm not so mentally numb that the show can change tones and I still consider it light hearted kiddy stuff.

Then again I was the one who showed my nephew AoT to begin with.  He picked it up from episode two onward himself.

I would not be responsible parent.

And just to make things clear - HxH gets "dark" indeed, but it's mostly compared to other similar shonen, like the Big 3, DBZ, Fairy Tail etc etc.

But if you've seen more violent series like JoJo, Attack on Titan and other stuff like that, it's not going to phase you. It's violence isn't "mind-scarring". It's just more expressive than other similar battle shonen.

Ben admitted last night that he was using his "it gets dark therefore good" argument against people that never said that.

I never claimed it gets good because it gets dark. Does it get dark? Absolutely.

Are some of the dark scenes among the best in the show? Yeah, I'd say so.

Are they good purely because they're dark? No.

Ben uses t as a strawman to distract from his intellectual dishonesty, but ironically draws attention to it in the process.

DUDE!  ALL THE HIATARDS WERE SAYING THAT WHEN THE SHOW WAS PICKED UP!

"HUR DUR IT LOOKS SO SILLY AND KIDDY NOW AND IT SUCKS BUT IT GETS BETTER LATER I PWOMIS!  IT GETS SO DARRRRK HURGHGGHGH EVEN DARKER THAN ITACHI SO MUCH EDGE BRUH!"

Kekkaishi is one of my top all time favorite mangas, up there with Rave Master, Bleach, etc.

Seriously, that show changed my life.  I used to have a lot of guilt and self-hatred, depression, etc.  When Gen was introduced, I related to him.  People called him a monster because of his Ayakashi powers, which he has trouble controlling.  I believe he lost control and hurt or killed his sister.  I don't want to lose control and hurt anyone.  That's why I keep women at a distance.  I don't want to lose my cool and hurt them.  Better for me to be single than be unforgivable scum that hits a woman.  Granted, I never yelled at or did anything like that to my ex.  I got mad and I'd just go silent with an angry expression on my face, like when I found weed in her purse.  I'm drug free so that didn't sit well with me.  By the same token, people might call me a monster for having Aspergers, OCD, being bi-polar, and most importantly of all, my anger issues.  When I get really angry... it's... it's really not me.  That's not me.  I'm not that kind of person.  But I lose control of myself and flip the fuck out, going on rageraides.  I have a friend that is like Yoshimori.  When Yoshimori took up with Gen and saw past his problems, saw that he was really a good person, I recognized that... I was a good person.  There was no reason to hate myself.  Think I'm a bad person.  Think I don't deserve to live.  Think I don't deserve to eat or live in a house.  It helped me get rid of guilt, my self-hatred, my depression, all cured after years in one day.  I had been suicidal off and on since sixth grade.  That show... really helped me a lot.

we will never reach the point of shit getting real because it doesn't exist.

that is mere opinion and not fact, my friend. while I do recognize the fact that the manga's progression is laughable, there's still enough story present in the series to enjoy. and yes, shit does get real before the latest chapter of the manga.

3 things

1. Ben please get over your hate boner for Hunter X Hunter, it's a good show, deal with it

2. I haven't really watched so I can't see if the tone is ever really going to change...but frankly the show has been pretty dark (for a shonen series aimed at 7 year olds) the whole time, you guys are just jaded from watching nothing but Seinen and fanservice shows

3. I don't see where the complaints that the show is boring are coming from....I'd actually even argue that HxH has better pacing than even One Piece does, it's just exacerbated by the Mangaka's chronic illness making him constantly need to put the series on haituses to recieve medical treatment, basically complaining about the Haituses is just nasty because they only happen because the guy is too sick to work

Lol his chronic illness is burnout. Don't believe the "back problems" or "he's addicted to dragonquest" excuses.

So yeah ....we think it's boring and the ratings reflect that a lot of people feel the same way.

He probably bashes it so much because it gets such an entertaining reaction =P

Lol his chronic illness is burnout. Don't believe the "back problems" or "he's addicted to dragonquest" excuses.

So yeah ....we think it's boring and the ratings reflect that a lot of people feel the same way.

doesn't the show actually retain its viewership quite well though?

ROFL how is "playing Dragon Quest" a valid excuse?  >:D

Yeah many people agree with us on how boring it is.  Oh, is Hiatus getting bad ratings now? :-D

I bash it because the show is shit and makes me physically angry and because the fans lied when they said it was good and overhyped this shit series.

3 things

1. Ben please get over your hate boner for Hunter X Hunter, it's a good show, deal with it

2. I haven't really watched so I can't see if the tone is ever really going to change...but frankly the show has been pretty dark (for a shonen series aimed at 7 year olds) the whole time, you guys are just jaded from watching nothing but Seinen and fanservice shows

3. I don't see where the complaints that the show is boring are coming from....I'd actually even argue that HxH has better pacing than even One Piece does, it's just exacerbated by the Mangaka's chronic illness making him constantly need to put the series on haituses to recieve medical treatment, basically complaining about the Haituses is just nasty because they only happen because the guy is too sick to work

1.  No.  This show can burn in Hell.

2. Don't care either way.  Shows sucks so dropped it.  I'm through sitting through torture to get the "good part" that will never come.

3.  Lol, "chronic illness."  Umm the pacing in Hiatus is nonexistent because the show is mind-numbingly dull and goes nowhere.  It's such a nothing show.  Uhh things happen in One Piece.  It's actually exciting and fun action packed.  It's funny too.  Hiatus is a boring nothing show with no identity, character, or charisma.

Even if it takes a while for HxH to get truly great, at least it GETS THERE.

Unlike FT... which stays mediocre throughout its entire run (while getting downright terrible later on)

But again, opinions!

No it doesn't.

Fairy Tail has been GREAT throughout.  You have taste cancer.

Umm the pacing in Hiatus is nonexistent because the show is mind-numbingly dull and goes nowhere.  It's such a nothing show.  Uhh things happen in One Piece.  It's actually exciting and fun action packed.  It's funny too.  Hiatus is a boring nothing show with no identity, character, or charisma.

I've gotta say you know a whole lot about a show that's still meddling in its world building arcs. :^)

The fact that you state your opinion as so already proves who's more cancer in this situation.

(HINT: It's you)

Even among other shonen, FT is low quality.

Now I have no credility because I have no I've  seen 70 eps, not one is bad.  You are.

You are low quality and One Piece of Shit needs to be canceled by Shonen Jump after Oda is outed as holding women in his penthouse apartment.

Now I have no credility because I have no I've  seen 70 eps, not one is bad.  You are.

You are low quality and One Piece of Shit needs to be canceled by Shonen Jump after Oda is outed as holding women in his penthouse apartment.

Glad you think that way, because I think the opposite. It's mediocre at best, and tripe at worst.

Funny how you seem to fall back on crapping on a show you apparently like. If that itself doesn't prove how lousy your credibility is, I don't know what else would.

But if you wanna act like your opinions are facts, then here we go - FT is trash and since you like it your opinion and vision is trash. Everything you say is trash and everything you stand for is, guess what, TRASH. You talk trash because that's all you're made of - TRASH. Now stop being trashy and be classy.  >:D

Glad you think that way, because I think the opposite. I like to lick men's hairy assholes.

Funny how you seem to fall back on crapping on a show you apparently like.  I prefer to crap on my wife and then make her eat it.

But if you wanna act like your opinions are facts, then here we go - I like to rape my daughter on a daily basis and fill her orifices with sulfuric acid and feel my dick erode inside her tiny body.  Then I kill gay hobos and graft their dicks onto my body as replacement.  If I didn't I'd still have my original 3 inch dick.  Then one time I got possessed by an evil serial killer hobo dick and stabbed holes in men women and children and then fucked the holes, fucking them to death as they expired their blood lubricated by cock perfectly.  I really am as classless as my namesake - the moose.

LOL YOU LIKE THE WRONG ANIME THEREFORE YOU ARE WORSE THAN ISIS!

Any legitimate complaints about Hiatus have long since gone out the window.

The big one is that it takes its sweet-ass time.

How would you know?

You watched 1 episode and couldn't figure out which character was the protagonist. You have zero credibility.

Not to mention,  there isn't a single show in existence you like.

How would you know?

You watched 1 episode and couldn't figure out which character was the protagonist. You have zero credibility.

Not to mention,  there isn't a single show in existence you like.

He likes Dragonball/Z, JoJo, Gundam IBO, forget what else.  He used champion One Piece until he inexplicably turned on it out of nowhere.

Because the tone of this thread switched from "This show is slow" to "DIE DIE EVERYBODY DIE!"

That's very clearly not what

I was referring to.

You said a valid complaint was that it "takes its sweet-ass time," but you didn't really watch the show before complaining about it. You watched at most an episode or 2, complained that the characters not developing fast enough, and got confused about which character was the protagonist.

As I said, zero credibility.

Most of my favorite shonen have a slow start and build up to better episodes.....Gintama, HxH, FMA Brotherhood.

I guess I can understand not getting into it on Toonami with just one episode a week but that's why I prefer to marathon anime.

A slow pace isn't a valid criticism of a show, bad pacing is uneven pacing and with all the shonen out there with uneven pacing riddled with filler and dips in animation quality I find it bizarre to see people complaining about Hunter x Hunter so much on this site.

There are plenty of terrific shows out there that are slow burners like Mushishi and Moribito that seem to get overlooked by some and I can only see it as a product of a "instant gratifcation" mindset