UnevenEdge

So about Hunter x Hunter ...

Azalar Hex

• 2 weeks later...

That's just your lack of medication talking. It's alright. You'll take some, soon.

Hopefully, because you're annoying without it. >_>

I'm doing just fine.  I'm stable and have been for a while now.  And yes I know I used to be as unstable as Rachel Ray's weight, but that is a thing of the distant past.  You're annoying all the time.  As I said, I'm done with you.  DONE.

That's very clearly not what

I was referring to.

You said a valid complaint was that it "takes its sweet-ass time," but you didn't really watch the show before complaining about it. You watched at most an episode or 2, complained that the characters not developing fast enough, and got confused about which character was the protagonist.

As I said, zero credibility.

You say shows suck that you barely and/or never watched so you're in the same boat as him, bucko.  But at least Jman just says the shows aren't for him.  You try to act like your view on a given show you barely watched is some professional fucking critique to be taken as seriously as what gets Pulitzers.

Most of my favorite shonen have a slow start and build up to better episodes.....Gintama, HxH, FMA Brotherhood.

I guess I can understand not getting into it on Toonami with just one episode a week but that's why I prefer to marathon anime.

A slow pace isn't a valid criticism of a show, bad pacing is uneven pacing and with all the shonen out there with uneven pacing riddled with filler and dips in animation quality I find it bizarre to see people complaining about Hunter x Hunter so much on this site.

There are plenty of terrific shows out there that are slow burners like Mushishi and Moribito that seem to get overlooked by some and I can only see it as a product of a "instant gratifcation" mindset

Because it's boring as fuck and nothing ever happens.  FMA Brotherhood's early pace is fast and the episodes are fun, engaging, interesting, entertaining, informing, educational even.  Brotherhood is a step away from perfection and the God-teir status of true greats like Bebop and JoJo.  Nothing interesting about Hiatus, nothing happens in it, the characters have nonsensical motivations, the world is boring and nonsensical, the characters look boring and are designed shittily, nothing is ever explained, and when it does, it's complete nonsensical bullshit.  Naruto is more logical, seriously. 

Oh, and did I mention... NOTHING EVER FUCKING HAPPENS.  I gave the show hours of my life... waited 30-something episodes... the mystical vaunted "good part", never came, and the show was making me physically angry watching it, then I just stopped caring and  couldn't even pay attention.  That last one has only ever happened with one other show - IGPX.  I watched it three times and still had a hard time focusing on it.  I gave it many chances.  That's how bad and how much of a viewer repellent Hiatus is. 

Moribito is a great show... with a well-designed, interesting worlds and characters, motivations that make sense, characters that act rationally and logically.  The show is character driven but you are drawn in because these characters are interesting and relatable, feel like real people.  You feel you are part of the world because the characters act like actual people.  There's also a story where things happen and develop.  Time isn't wasted.  Witch each minute we learn more about the world and/or its characters, or gain insight into them, or simply watch them live, and the story moves forward, things happen.  And the action is great when it happens. 

Hiatus's world is idiotic and nonsensical as its characters, probably because Togashi has mental issues and doesn't understand how the world works, how the human brain works, how psychology works.  He doesn't understand much of anything really, including how to pace a story and build interest, tell a story, you know... fucking write.  As for Hiatus's "action", it's practically nonexistent and sucks when it is there.  There's about 10 minutes of explaining moves to 5 minutes of actual action.  Terrible.  It's like a parody of shonen cliches crystallized, at least as far as the "fights."  Hiatus is just a train wreck of baffling writing decisions and a black hole of incomparable horribleness in every conceivable manner.  I don't think I've ever experienced a show so bad and yet that causes such a lack of shit to be given about it at the same time... it's quite paradoxical in that way.  Hiatus is... bad.

In the time I watched this waste of time  nothing show I could have been watching Cowboy Bebop, followed by FLCL.  Just think about that for a minute.  Those two shows compared to nothing of Hiatus aired thus far.  The difference in show quality is deafening, as wide as the grand canyon.  Suuuuuuch a waste of my precious time.  My lifespan isn't ifninite you know.  I have lots of things I want do in my life, and Hiatus has reduced my time to do some of them.  For that, I can never forgive it, and I can never forgive the Hiatus fans who claimed the show was good and overhyped it.  It's just... how can a show be so bad and be so nothing at the same time?!  KEH!

And god damn it, don't call it a fucking "slow burner".  There was never even a flicker.  It was "building" to nothing no one would give a shit about, and the show forgot build up is supposed to be interesting.

If all that ragehate venom is "really you," then maybe you should watch Kekkaishi again and remember that you don't have to be that way.

You're right.  Moose doesn't deserve such kindness, but it's not doing me any good to treat him that way, either.  It costs too much effort and personal value to hate.  So... I'll let it go.

That whole tirade was so overly dramatic Ben. Especially the part about you never forgiving the show for wasting your time. Insulting Togashi so much is quite uncalled for though.

All I can say is this, I thoroughly enjoyed this series from York New until the end (that's about 108 episodes, we are a 3 episodes away from that arc)  I won't say the arcs so far were never a slog. It does take its sweet time to ramp up. I expected Heaven's Arena to be better in this adaptation but it felt needlessly dragged out as well. By comparison the Hunter exam arc was a arguably more enjoyable.

York New brings Kurapika to center stage and the violence kicks up several notches.

I'm doing just fine.  I'm stable and have been for a while now.  And yes I know I used to be as unstable as Rachel Ray's weight, but that is a thing of the distant past.  You're annoying all the time.  As I said, I'm done with you.  DONE.

Being done with someone usually means you don't talk to them. Not that I'd expect you to even accomplish that very simple task, but it will be hilarious witnessing you struggling with yourself to reply whenever I post something that triggers you. Lol

Because it's boring as fuck and nothing ever happens.  FMA Brotherhood's early pace is fast and the episodes are fun, engaging, interesting, entertaining, informing, educational even.  Brotherhood is a step away from perfection and the God-teir status of true greats like Bebop and JoJo.  Nothing interesting about Hiatus, nothing happens in it, the characters have nonsensical motivations, the world is boring and nonsensical, the characters look boring and are designed shittily, nothing is ever explained, and when it does, it's complete nonsensical bullshit.  Naruto is more logical, seriously. 

Oh, and did I mention... NOTHING EVER FUCKING HAPPENS.  I gave the show hours of my life... waited 30-something episodes... the mystical vaunted "good part", never came, and the show was making me physically angry watching it, then I just stopped caring and  couldn't even pay attention.  That last one has only ever happened with one other show - IGPX.  I watched it three times and still had a hard time focusing on it.  I gave it many chances.  That's how bad and how much of a viewer repellent Hiatus is. 

Moribito is a great show... with a well-designed, interesting worlds and characters, motivations that make sense, characters that act rationally and logically.  The show is character driven but you are drawn in because these characters are interesting and relatable, feel like real people.  You feel you are part of the world because the characters act like actual people.  There's also a story where things happen and develop.  Time isn't wasted.  Witch each minute we learn more about the world and/or its characters, or gain insight into them, or simply watch them live, and the story moves forward, things happen.  And the action is great when it happens. 

Hiatus's world is idiotic and nonsensical as its characters, probably because Togashi has mental issues and doesn't understand how the world works, how the human brain works, how psychology works.  He doesn't understand much of anything really, including how to pace a story and build interest, tell a story, you know... fucking write.  As for Hiatus's "action", it's practically nonexistent and sucks when it is there.  There's about 10 minutes of explaining moves to 5 minutes of actual action.  Terrible.  It's like a parody of shonen cliches crystallized, at least as far as the "fights."  Hiatus is just a train wreck of baffling writing decisions and a black hole of incomparable horribleness in every conceivable manner.  I don't think I've ever experienced a show so bad and yet that causes such a lack of shit to be given about it at the same time... it's quite paradoxical in that way.  Hiatus is... bad.

In the time I watched this waste of time  nothing show I could have been watching Cowboy Bebop, followed by FLCL.  Just think about that for a minute.  Those two shows compared to nothing of Hiatus aired thus far.  The difference in show quality is deafening, as wide as the grand canyon.  Suuuuuuch a waste of my precious time.  My lifespan isn't ifninite you know.  I have lots of things I want do in my life, and Hiatus has reduced my time to do some of them.  For that, I can never forgive it, and I can never forgive the Hiatus fans who claimed the show was good and overhyped it.  It's just... how can a show be so bad and be so nothing at the same time?!  KEH!

And god damn it, don't call it a fucking "slow burner".  There was never even a flicker.  It was "building" to nothing no one would give a shit about, and the show forgot build up is supposed to be interesting.

Ben's opinion stated ad-nausium.

Just remember guys - Ben considers Fairy Tail good. Fairy Tail.

Let that sink in.

I've started Fairy Tail over for a group watch. I made it past the point I initially got bored of it and now I will honestly say, it's pretty entertaining once you get past Lullaby and Galuna Island. I've laughed, I've teared up and have largely enjoyed the ride. There's decent world building as well. It's innofensive and not frustrating to watch. I can see why it has a broad appeal. So I'm not going to trash it but I'd still rather not have it on Toonami unless it replaced Shippuden which is far more of a chore to sit through to get to the occasional good moment.

On the other hand, someone who accepts the writing of SAO has no business insulting Togashi's writing.

I've started Fairy Tail over for a group watch. I made it past the point I initially got bored of it and now I will honestly say, it's pretty entertaining once you get past Lullaby and Galuna Island. I've laughed, I've teared up and have largely enjoyed the ride. There's decent world building as well. It's innofensive and not frustrating to watch. I can see why it has a broad appeal. So I'm not going to trash it but I'd still rather not have it on Toonami unless it replaced Shippuden which is far more of a chore to sit through to get to the occasional good moment.

On the other hand, someone who accepts the writing of SAO has no business insulting Togashi's writing.

Oh it gets pretty insultingly bad later down the road. The first few arcs are decent, but by the time it gets to the Tenrou Island arc the moderate quality starts to dip and by the Grand Magic Games arc, FT basically becomes a joke in the shonen manga/anime fandom.

The latest chapter, for instance, is complete and utter dog-shit and even sparked controversy on the internet.. But it's already gone down the shitter quality-writing wise (even compared to other shonens) years ago.

Oh it gets pretty insultingly bad later down the road. The first few arcs are decent, but by the time it gets to the Tenrou Island arc the moderate quality starts to dip and by the Grand Magic Games arc, FT basically becomes a joke in the shonen manga/anime fandom.

The latest chapter, for instance, is complete and utter dog-shit and even sparked controversy on the internet.. But it's already gone down the shitter quality-writing wise (even compared to other shonens) years ago.

We'll see if I agree with all that whenever I get to those points but for now I'm keeping an open mind.

At least you were fair to it.

When did Togashi ever "write?"  I see no such anything in Hiatus.  It's just a big ball of nothing.

That whole tirade was so overly dramatic Ben. Especially the part about you never forgiving the show for wasting your time. Insulting Togashi so much is quite uncalled for though.

All I can say is this, I thoroughly enjoyed this series from York New until the end (that's about 108 episodes, we are a 3 episodes away from that arc)  I won't say the arcs so far were never a slog. It does take its sweet time to ramp up. I expected Heaven's Arena to be better in this adaptation but it felt needlessly dragged out as well. By comparison the Hunter exam arc was a arguably more enjoyable.

York New brings Kurapika to center stage and the violence kicks up several notches.

My time is precious.  I have a limited lifespan.  That time could have been spent finishing FFVI, reading Kenshin's manga, watching Fairy Tail, reading SAO novels and manga, playing with LEGO bricks, watching my fish tank, hiking, swimming, fishing, playing hockey, catching up with Pre-Flight and the Toonami Show Rundown...

No it isn't.  Togashi has gone on my Lifelong Boycott List along with Pizza Hut, Burger King, Gamestop, and Petsmart.

I don't think I have the patience to start it back up again, even if I were to marathon up to the current episodes.

My time is precious.  I have a limited lifespan.  That time could have been spent finishing FFVI, reading Kenshin's manga, watching Fairy Tail, reading SAO novels and manga, playing with LEGO bricks, watching my fish tank, hiking, swimming, fishing, playing hockey, catching up with Pre-Flight and the Toonami Show Rundown...

No it isn't.  Togashi has gone on my Lifelong Boycott List along with Pizza Hut, Burger King, Gamestop, and Petsmart.

I don't think I have the patience to start it back up again, even if I were to marathon up to the current episodes.

Well since you're so convinced NOTHING HAS HAPPENED you'll be fine to pick up the show again in 3 weeks.

You must at least be curious why so many people like the show and why it still regularly floats around the top 10 most popular shows on Crunchyroll despite it finishing in September of 2014. Just as I was curious why people still liked Fairy Tail, Bleach and Naruto Shippuden.

Did you ever even watch  Yu Yu Hakusho?

Well since you're so convinced NOTHING HAS HAPPENED you'll be fine to pick up the show again in 3 weeks.

You must at least be curious why so many people like the show and why it still regularly floats around the top 10 most popular shows on Crunchyroll despite it finishing in September of 2014. Just as I was curious why people still liked Fairy Tail, Bleach and Naruto Shippuden.

Did you ever even watch  Yu Yu Hakusho?

I am curious and I almost never drop shows, outside of most Gundams back in the day...

Yes, and it was actually good.  I've still got all my VHS tapes of most of the Toonami, ASA, Ani-Monday, etc. blocks I recorded back then.  Last tape I have is of the April Fool's Toonami event.  Need to get those all converted over... doze vintage ads and bumps... dat nostalgia.  Anyway, I'm still not even convinced Togashi wrote Yu Yu Hakusho.  There was some sort of Michael Jackson fake alien clone switcheroo shenanigans going on there, methinks.

Ben, my mane if you don't like it now I would heavily recommend dropping it, because you don't have to like it and evident from your rants you don't. Personally I think that you would come out smarter than the people who had watched the entirety of it and then said that they didn't like it. But if they actually do a promo for Yorknew maybe that would pique your interest since anything's possible, maybe.

He also wrote Level E in between Yuyu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter, which is a legitimately funny sci-fi comedy series and it also has an anime. The man isn't limited to writing just action you know and the Gon vs Hisoka fight from the last two eps was YYH as hell.

You know I had this exact same point saved if anyone ever said that Hunter x Hunter was a failure in America based on its ratings performance. The fact that it ended 2+ years ago and sometimes is even ahead of shows that are currently airing this season is crazy.

ITT we learn that someone who "got straight A's throughout high school" can't even recognize basic plot progression.

I recognized very boring and uninteresting plot progression and that I didn't give a shit where that plot was progressing, yes.  I'll also add that my school is the best in the state and I could've done honors classes but was too lazy.  My IQ is also above genius level - 138.  Don't try to act like my peer.

I recognized very boring and uninteresting plot progression and that I didn't give a shit where that plot was progressing, yes.  I'll also add that my school is the best in the state and I could've done honors classes but was too lazy.  My IQ is also above genius level - 138.  Don't try to act like my peer.

And yet you remain socially oblivious and can't separate terrible personal taste from dispassionate analysis.  So have fun with that.

Or you can stare at that boat picture on your wall.  Because seriously, that's a nice boat.

Also for someone who claims to hate HxH why do you continue to bring it up?  Hell, even Jman at this point said that there's nothing new to add to this argument. 

And yet you remain socially oblivious and can't separate terrible personal taste from dispassionate analysis.  So have fun with that.

And you take it personally when people don't like your pet shows and resort to insults.  Very immature and juvenile on your part.  Sad.

Oh yeah...

One more thing...

Insults are the last resort of a tired mind that knows it has lost.

You clearly have no way to respond to my talking points, so you resort to attacking me personally, which is irrelevant to the topic.  I am allowed to like different shows than you.  Get the fuck over it, you child.

Or you can stare at that boat picture on your wall.  Because seriously, that's a nice boat.

Also for someone who claims to hate HxH why do you continue to bring it up?  Hell, even Jman at this point said that there's nothing new to add to this argument.

Because others won't shut up about it.  And as long as they punch I am going to counter-punch.  Also Hiatus is clogging up a valuable premiere slot.  I'd rather be watching new short-runners or Fairy Tail in that slot.  I won't stop bitching until Hiatus's pollution is flushed out of The Vindication's airlock.

Insults are the last resort of a tired mind that knows it has lost.

You clearly have no way to respond to my talking points, so you resort to attacking me personally, which is irrelevant to the topic.  I am allowed to like different shows than you.  Get the fuck over it, you child.

brb choking on massive amounts of irony

And would anyone like to explain to ben what "taking it personally" actually looks like?  Or should we all save ourselves that collective migraine?

brb choking on massive amounts of irony

And would anyone like to explain to ben what "taking it personally" actually looks like?  Or should we all save ourselves that collective migraine?

On your own massive ego too.

Then stop being an elitist.  I hope you enjoy that migraine.

Because others won't shut up about it.  And as long as they punch I am going to counter-punch.  Also Hiatus is clogging up a valuable premiere slot.  I'd rather be watching new short-runners or Fairy Tail in that slot.  I won't stop bitching until Hiatus's pollution is flushed out of The Vindication's airlock.

Oh Ben, I guess you're just gonna have to keep trying to hurt Hunter x Hunter's feelings because it is here for at least two more years.