UnevenEdge

I missed the boat on Amy Winehouse

18 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

I don't recall having knowledge of her when she was alive, and now that she's dead, pretty much the only thing I know about her is she is dead.

Same with that lady from TLC... Left eye lopez or something like that?

Well, she's dead now.

These people have been dead on average longer than my kids have been alive......

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

I don't recall having knowledge of her when she was alive, and now that she's dead, pretty much the only thing I know about her is she is dead.

Same with that lady from TLC... Left eye lopez or something like that?

Well, she's dead now.

Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, scrub.

• Haha 1

I remember Rehab, but I know people are bullshitting me when they said that she had more songs than just Rehab.

"How can you say you love music if you haven't heard Song #5 off of Amy Winehouse's only album!?"

The same way I haven't heard Song #11 from Sublime's only album; they never played it, and I didn't care to listen to the entire album. Not when Rehab was just one notch about "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and "This Love" as far as mid-2000's mom-rock goes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Derrick Foreal said:

I could swear sublime had 2

"Santeria" and "What I Got" are the two songs that define Sublime  much like how Amy Winehouse is considered a powerhouse with a full library of hits because"Rehab" and "Back to Black" exist, and the latter song is suspect because that's just the one critics insist was popular when it only showed up in a trailer or two.

2 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

I remember Rehab, but I know people are bullshitting me when they said that she had more songs than just Rehab.

"How can you say you love music if you haven't heard Song #5 off of Amy Winehouse's only album!?"

The same way I haven't heard Song #11 from Sublime's only album; they never played it, and I didn't care to listen to the entire album. Not when Rehab was just one notch about "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" and "This Love" as far as mid-2000's mom-rock goes.

Fucking this.  She was a decent singer, but her only album was more remarkable for its promise than anything particularly stand out.  It doesn't really hold up the same way Thriller holds up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Fucking this.  She was a decent singer, but her only album was more remarkable for its promise than anything particularly stand out.  It doesn't really hold up the same way Thriller holds up.

Yeah, it was something that people bought up and said was album of the decade after her death, but at most, it was just her intro to the mainstream that would've ideally given us better albums if she didn't spend most of her career intoxicated.

It'd be like if Adele followed "Chasing Pavements" with a 5 year drug binge instead of making 21 and 25. Adele's okayish 19 would've been held to the same regard as Back to Black and we would've never gotten anything as huge as 21. 

Edited by imchapp.in
  • Like 1