UnevenEdge

Thundercats art director reveals what would have happened in unreleased second season

Jman

On 1/24/2018 at 6:16 PM, Jman said:

The short version is here.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WhatCouldHaveBeen/Thundercats2011

We would have seen characters die, the Tigersharks AND the Silverhawks teaming up with the heroes, and that’s the tip.

That's the short version? You couldn't find something more concise than this?

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

That's the short version? You couldn't find something more concise than this?

It was an entire season’s of plots, many of which had scripts.  Yes, that’s the short version.  

If you want the REALLY short version, CN fucked the production over because they wanted it to be a Toonami show but CN said they wanted it on the channel proper.  Also the show initially got a renewal, then CN got the far more toy friendly Lego Chima and rescinded the renewal.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:24 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

The TVTropes summary doesn't sound bad at all.

I actually did like the series, and it would it have been cool to see everything play out.

Agreed.

I liked the show as well, and some really nice sounding stuff in there planned for the next episodes they'd already written out, had the show returned.

Seeing/hearing that it did actually initially get renewed at first makes a lot of sense of my memory from that period after the season finished, since I kind of vaguely remember being surprised when it suddenly went into limbo about whether or not it was ever going to be back and then obviously never did, other than that eventual little Toonami run.

Hey we found this out on my birthday! :P

Really liked the new ThunderCats.  It was better than the old show.  Was very disappointed that it got canceled.

If I get the chance I'll probably listen to this.  

Tigersharks and Silverhawks?  Really?! :D

Lion-O and Wilykit?  Isn't she, um, a kid?

Ha, the old Thundercats was great, but dismal in terms of voice acting and individual episode plots.

If you never had a chance to see it..... you should know that 90 percent of the episodes involve Lion-O getting the sword of omens knocked out of his hands, then getting back to it and using the Thunder.. thunder.. thundercats hoooooo!!!! chant to power up and win. Almost every episode was like that, and there were like 150 episodes.

What makes this even stupider, is all Lion-O had to do to get the sword back was say... "Sword of Omens.. come to my hand!" and it would fly to him like a Jedi's lightsaber.

20 hours ago, Daos said:

Ha, the old Thundercats was great, but dismal in terms of voice acting and individual episode plots.

If you never had a chance to see it..... you should know that 90 percent of the episodes involve Lion-O getting the sword of omens knocked out of his hands, then getting back to it and using the Thunder.. thunder.. thundercats hoooooo!!!! chant to power up and win. Almost every episode was like that, and there were like 150 episodes.

What makes this even stupider, is all Lion-O had to do to get the sword back was say... "Sword of Omens.. come to my hand!" and it would fly to him like a Jedi's lightsaber.

I saw the old show.  It doesn't hold up that well.  But, probably better than some others from that time period.  Yeah, that, and also the other ThunderCats rescuing Lion-O all the time.  Doesn't make him seem very heroic, lol.  To be fair it starts with a five-part mini-series that was pretty good.

The new show improved a lot of things.  Lion-O no longer has that weird child in man's body Captain Marvel thing going on.  What was the point of that, anyway?  Snarf is reduced to an unspeaking Pokemon-like pet.  The story and writing are better, it's overarching.  Show really impressed me with some of the ideas it had going on, like those quick-living plant people.  I like how they toned down the cat-ness of the characters' looks.  I prefer the redesigns of the most of the characters actually.  It also had some surprisingly mature themes, like racism, slavery, lots of death, Mumm-Ra committing genocide, etc.  The cats, especially Tygra and Cheetara, are kinda' douches to Lion-O though, which I didn't notice as much on the first watch for whatever reason.  Then, Pumyra turns on him and the rest of the group!  The guy just couldn't catch a break!  It's good to hear things would at have least started to go better for Lion-O later on.

To the old show's credit, it was kind of dark, too, and Mumm-Ra was pretty scary for a kids show, and didn't have to be changed much at all for the new series.

That sword had all kinds of powers, didn't it? :D

Edited by ben0119

The child in a man's body thing was so Lion-O could learn life lessons during his adventures, lessons that adults already know. Never give up, just because something looks ugly doesn't mean it's evil, etc.

It was very much a product of the 80's though, There's not really any shows of that era that "hold up." Except maybe Gi-Joe.  In fact .... the only reason He-man even exists is because they made a toy. The cartoon was a complete afterthought designed solely to sell those toys. In fact despite the fact that it was a massive hit, He-Man was run on a shoestring budget. If you really want to see something that doesn't hold up, watch old He-Man eps =P

http://www.11points.com/TV/11_Disappointments_About_He-Man,_In_Retrospect

"The exec producer and his family voiced a lot of the characters. Lou Scheimer was the head of "He-Man"... and, therefore, the one responsible for making sure to keep the costs as low as possible... and then lower them some more.

One good cost saving measure: Do a ton of voices himself. Then sign up his daughter to handle some others. That's free talent, right there.

So Lou did Orko, King Randor, Stratos, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, Zodak, Sy-Klone, Moss Man, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops, Kobra Khan, Clawful, Jitsu, Spikor, Two-Bad, Modulok and others. His daughter did every single female voice except the three principle females (Teela, Evil Lyn, the Queen)."

It was still weird.  I mean I guess he could have just been a kid, but probably would've been too weak to fight the bad guys.  Wilykat and Wilykit seemed more experienced, but I think there was probably a reason for that.  Weren't the ThunderCats all the royal guard or something?  I think the new series struck a good balance with Lion-O just being a teenager/young man who was still coming up in the world.

G.I. Joe?  I thought that was dumb even when I was a kid, because it was a war where no one died. :D  Loved the toys, though!  I've gone back and watched some of the old 80s shows.  Some hold up better than others.  I still like M.A.S.K. as an adult, but maybe others wouldn't.  It was my favorite cartoon from back then, after all.  Scott and T-Bob are still annoying as fuck though.  Transformers didn't live up to my foggy childhood memories, but it's not too bad.  It's about a bunch of robots bashing each other.  What do you want?  Plus there's some really good standout episodes.  The Real Ghostbusters still holds up pretty well I think.  Surprisingly creative and not repetitive for how many episodes there are and what the concept is.  What about TMNT?  I've gone back and watched a few eps and still enjoyed it.  And outside of Transformers it's one of the few cartoons from back then that's been brought back for various iterations and lasted. 

Umm, weren't all of those cartoons made to sell toys? :P

He-man, oh god.   I used to love He-man, but I'm pretty sure if I watch it now it will be terrible. :D I'm sure the new series that CN had is better.  I always wanted the toys but never had any.  I was told later that my mother wouldn't get them for me because they were too satanic and too homoerotic.  We're not even that religious so I'm pretty sure that's just an excuse because she didn't want to buy me the toys. :D Apparently I wanted the Snake Mountain playset. :D

LOL, that article.  I knew a lot of that, but not all of it.  Can't believe that the executive producer voiced all those characters.  He had to have some experience to do many different voices, though?

Yeah, that's part of that 5-parter that opens the series I talked about, where the other Cats test Lion-O.  It was pretty good. 

You know, ThunderCats was called a poor man's He-man, but I'm pretty sure He-man is worse.  I should go watch some episodes, haha.

Edited by ben0119

I don't think he had any experience. The voice acting blew.

The 5 parter you're talking about didn't actually start until episode 37. It was definitely a high point of the series.

A lot of people thought He-Man was canceled because religious wackos at the time were up in arms against all the sorcery stuff.  But it was just canceled because they always planned to just do 2 years, and had moved on to She-Ra.

Thundercats is worlds beyond He-Man in terms of quality. Here, watch an actual episode.

• Haha 1

Yeah I was thinking Lion-O was the sheltered prince, but the others seemed to be trained fighters, even the two kids.  Better than He-Man's voice acting... >_>

Oh, I didn't realize that.  Thought it was at the beginning.  And yeah, for sure!

I didn't realize it only went on for two years.  Must have been rerun for sure, because it seemed like it was on for a long time, and there was a shit-load of toys.  Thought She-Ra was a spin-off.

Just got finished watching it.  Oh man, oof.  Where do I begin?

That article wasn't kidding about it being cheap.  These production values are terrible!

The near constant "HE-MAN!" transitions.  Enough, lol!  Can't think of any other show that spammed the transition thing to this degree, haha.

Did not remember He-Man always having that echo to his voice...

That article mentioned the show creating characters nearly every week to make a new toy.  This Kor guy is a prime example of that LOL.  Also he's clearly voiced by Skeletor's voice actor, haha.

Yeah for what should have been an action-packed series, there definitely isn't much of it, and it's poorly animated and awkward.  Just like the article described, lol.

Yup definitely not great and way worse than ThunderCats. :D

Edited by ben0119