UnevenEdge

Outlaw Star in HD on August 19th

The1gairon

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is dumb as fuck that Outlaw Star didn't get 2 AM or hell, even 1:30, if Lupin is doing crap numbers and Shit-Puddn' is taking a hard left turn into filler hell!

But hopefully in the meantime it anchors the end of the block!

Logically, the block is limited in its timeslots, and it's still late at night.  They can only do so much.

Either fill the screen properly or don't bother airing it at all

No, air the content as it was originally created and don't arbitrarily cut shit out of the scene.  It still blows my mind that literally everyone over the age of 20 grew up in a world of 4:3 aspect-ratio TV, and yet get completely butthurt when they see things properly presented like that.

So in other words, cut a piece of the image off to fit the screen or don't air it?

You ignant.

I don't want to watch an SD film I want an HD film

So if you air an SD film on a HD channel that's a very fucking stupid move

No one does that even anime network doesn't do that and they had outlaw star on it in actual HD format so what is toonami's excuse? Besides being fucking lazy like usual :|

They didn't do that move with Cowboy Bebop it was remastered and in HD

No, air the content as it was originally created and don't arbitrarily cut shit out of the scene.  It still blows my mind that literally everyone over the age of 20 grew up in a world of 4:3 aspect-ratio TV, and yet get completely butthurt when they see things properly presented like that.

When you watch a tv series what do you watch it under HD or SD?

.. did they even get the HD copies that Funimation just released?

If it turns out they didn't, then 1.) That's stupid, and 2.) they lied.

From the fact that it aired in an SD format instead of an HD format seems to be clear that Demarco is just another idiot for not watching the series in HD before agreeing

god i'm commenting on a toonami thread, what the fuck is wrong with me. i haven't even watched AS since 2011. and i stopped watching anime in that same year

it seems people here are confused between what is HD/SD and aspect ratio.

you can have SD at 4:3 and 16:9

and you can have HD at 4:3 AND 16:9

what makes it HD is the resolution, which is 1920x1080 for 16:9 and 1440x1080 for 4:3. SD is 480i, which is way smaller than that. if you try to play the old DVDs, your player would say (if it did show you) that it is playing at 480i, which is SD. If you buy a blu-ray, the company would likely have upscaled it (or remastered it) from the original 480i to 1080p, REGARDLESS of its aspect ratio. saying something isn't in HD because it's not in 16:9 is technically wrong. for shows with actual people, this is not usually a problem because cameras even back in the day usually shot far more wide than 4:3 and it was edited down for broadcast television.

cartoons are a lot more difficult in this regard. the drawings would have had to have been made to fit a 16x9 screen, which they are not always. if this isn't done, then stretching happens and an image looks awful. the argument is that more recent shows from like 2003 that can do this are most likely because 16x9 existed at the time, so the animators may or may not have drawn the images larger to expect this newer format. but older shows from the mid 90's would not have been made in this regard because it either didn't exist in the consumer market or the animators just didn't draw for it. the Cowboy Bebop blu-rays are ALSO in 4:3 but are ALSO HD.

basically, ya'll are dumb

16:9 show on 4:3 TV with letterboxing > 4:3 show on 4:3 TV > 16:9 show on 16:9 TV > 4:3 show on 16:9 TV with pillarboxing >> 4:3 show on 16:9 TV, stretched horizontally >>>>>> shit >>>>>> 16:9 show on 4:3 TV, stretched vertically

I think that "4:3 show on 4:3 TV = 16:9 show on 16:9 TV", and that last one is actually "COMPRESSED vertically", but otherwise you're right.

Point being, if the screen resolution is sharp, it's HD. It really has nothing to do with the aspect ratio. If Outlaw Star were still in HD, it would look very grainy and lack definition on large TVs. I still get the SD feed of CN West, which means that I get an SD version of Outlaw Star at 4:30 AM. Maybe one day I'll check it out and see what it looks like if I can stay up that long. Or maybe I'll just DVR it, to see what it would actually look like in SD.

But Outlaw Star HD looked fine to me!

I think that "4:3 show on 4:3 TV = 16:9 show on 16:9 TV", and that last one is actually "COMPRESSED vertically", but otherwise you're right.

Point being, if the screen resolution is sharp, it's HD. It really has nothing to do with the aspect ratio. If Outlaw Star were still in HD, it would look very grainy and lack definition on large TVs. I still get the SD feed of CN West, which means that I get an SD version of Outlaw Star at 4:30 AM. Maybe one day I'll check it out and see what it looks like if I can stay up that long. Or maybe I'll just DVR it, to see what it would actually look like in SD.

But Outlaw Star HD looked fine to me!

On demand seems to air it in SD and my DVR recorded it in SD even though it was an HD channel

Very confusing

You really just love picking fights don't you?

Who's picking a fight?  If I'm dead wrong about something, and someone who knows what they're talking about corrects me, you can bet I'm going to listen to them.  It just boggles my mind that you won't do the same.  And being ignorant of things like this is why FXX shows some shitty zoomed-in version of classic Simpsons episodes instead of showing them in their proper original aspect ratio.  It's like those terrible "fullscreen" versions of movies in the early days of DVD.

Who's picking a fight?  If I'm dead wrong about something, and someone who knows what they're talking about corrects me, you can bet I'm going to listen to them.  It just boggles my mind that you won't do the same.  And being ignorant of things like this is why FXX shows some shitty zoomed-in version of classic Simpsons episodes instead of showing them in their proper original aspect ratio.  It's like those terrible "fullscreen" versions of movies in the early days of DVD.

Never watched the shit called simpsons

Mainly watch animal planet and travel channel

What the fuck is going on in this thread? 

Okay, here's this: I DVRed Toonami last Saturday night.  I DVRed the Cartoon Network HD feed.  Do yall want me to go look at it and tell you what the hell definition and aspect ratio Outlaw Star was broadcast in?

The problem in here is that people think HD automatically = 16:9 when that's not the case at all.

Shippuden airs in 16:9, but it's not HD. How's that for a mindfuck?

The problem in here is that people think HD automatically = 16:9 when that's not the case at all.

I thought that it was obvious that HD doesn't necessarily mean 16:9.  I mean, my YuYu Hakusho Blu-ray sets were HD, and that show was 4:3.  Granted, the Blu-rays I have are 16:9 technically 16:9, since the show is hardcode pillarboxed.  If anyone remembers YuYu Hakusho from April Fools 2012, that's why the aspect ratio for the show was buggy: they aired the HD version of the episode and compressed it to a 4:3 size.