UnevenEdge

Hunter x Hunter "Feiku × de × Saiku" Episode 53 Discussion

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, why are these three still a thing?  The series should have just changed to make Kurapika the main character.

THIS.

Kurapika actually has a motive. Gon and Killua are just in it for kicks. Not nearly as interesting.

OMG, why are these three still a thing?  The series should have just changed to make Kurapika the main character.

Yup. It became so much better when they were out of the picture.

Even the side characters would make better mains than those three.

THIS.

Kurapika actually has a motive. Gon and Killua are just in it for kicks. Not nearly as interesting.

Gon's backstory is just awful. He apparently becomes a sociopath later on because the author couldn't figure out any way to make him interesting.

But... he wants to become a hunter so he can find his deadbeat dad that abandoned him. That's pretty much it I guess?

Gon's backstory is just awful. He apparently becomes a sociopath later on because the author couldn't figure out any way to make him interesting.

But... he wants to become a hunter so he can find his deadbeat dad that abandoned him. That's pretty much it I guess?

Pretty much. I skipped ahead and found out that

apparently his dad is still a deadbeat piece of shit who doesn't care to know Gon at all, even though his own son eventually meets him.

So I suppose blatant spoilers are now allowed on this board. Should i tell you the ending to this show too??

So I suppose blatant spoilers are now allowed on this board. Should i tell you the ending to this show too??

How is that a spoiler,  we had a bunch of discussions about this and why Gon doesn't seem to care about his own life or even bat an eye at the hundreds of people that died horribly during the hunter exam despite being a 13 year old with a stable upbringing and no serious issues. People on the boards were claiming "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" and this trait becomes more evident later on.

I personally don't buy into it, and think the author just kind of has Gon do whatever he thinks is cool or interesting at any given time.

I bet I know the ending.... it goes on hiatus? =)

How is that a spoiler,  we had a bunch of discussions about this and why Gon doesn't seem to care about his own life or even bat an eye at the hundreds of people that died horribly during the hunter exam despite being a 13 year old with a stable upbringing and no serious issues. People on the boards were claiming "it's not a bug, it's a feature!" and this trait becomes more evident later on.

I personally don't buy into it, and think the author just kind of has Gon do whatever he thinks is cool or interesting at any given time.

I bet I know the ending.... it goes on hiatus? =)

He's a kid that doesn't fully understand ethics and struggles with selfishness. He had very little social interaction since his aunt lived in the middle of nowhere and there weren't really any other kids to play with. A part of growing up and learning morality comes from social interaction and building relationships, something Gon only had with his aunt and.... well, animals, which don't teach right or wrong.

And considering the eventual "sociopathy" comes from *major spoilers*

grieving the death of someone important to him

calling it "sociopathic" is a misnomer. You can't care about people other than yourself and still be a sociopath.

Gon cares about Killua, Kurapika, Leorio, his aunt, so on.

That's not possible for a sociopath. It would be fair to call hin selfish, given that's always been a part of his character. Sociopath, on the other hand, indicates a poor understanding of the material.

That was the argument the HxH fans kept making to explain Gon's behavior. Like I said, I never bought into that explanation.

He's far too happy go lucky and seems to care about the people he likes. He just doesn't give a fudge about everyone else.

Killua murders old man during tourny? Screw that guy, it's all about Killua's feelings and not the guy he just killed.

He's far too happy go lucky and seems to care about the people he likes.

There you go. You just destroyed your own argument for him being a sociopath.

Sociopaths don't care about anyone but themselves.

Yes, he's selfish to the point of only caring about people he likes. But when he cares, he genuinely cares.

You treat it like this is unintentional. :|

There you go. You just destroyed your own argument for him being a sociopath.

Sociopaths don't care about anyone but themselves.

Yes, he's selfish to the point of only caring about people he likes. But when he cares, he genuinely cares.

You treat it like this is unintentional. :|

Again like I said, the sociopath thing wasn't my argument. It was the argument of the pro HxH people explaining why Gon acts the way he does. I disagreed at the time and said it felt more like inconsistent writing. I haven't changed my opinion.

That's why I don't consider that to be a spoiler.

Uh yeah, I do think it's unintentional. At least so far. Until the YorkNew arc no one gave a damn about anyone dying. Not just Gon. Gon basically just acted like everyone else when it came to people dying.

One of the things that makes the YorkNew arc way better than the rest of this show so far, is that all of a sudden characters actually seem to care about people dying. Kurapica doesn't know his new bodyguard coworkers long before they die, but you get a little quick flash back of him actually thinking about them and acknowledging that they're dead.

And even the Phantom Troupe cares about one of their members dying. It's a 180 degree turn from the first 30 something episodes.

But as I've pointed out, they did care. It wasn't uncommon for characters to make an upset face after seeing a death, then to continue with whatever they had to do for the exam. Focusing on the task as a high priority in the face of danger isn't that unusual and I don't see you levying this complaint against any other anime that kills off random extras with little-to-no reaction, which is practically every other action series or shonen. It comes off like hyperbolic bias against a character you don't like rather than a strong criticism.

It also doesn't help that you seem to think a "good upbringing" prevents sociopathy, which is simply not true whether or not you think Gon is sociopathic.

I mean, I told you YorkNew was really good and you didn't believe me. Chimera Ant is even better.

But as I've pointed out, they did care. It wasn't uncommon for characters to make an upset face after seeing a death, then to continue with whatever they had to do for the exam. Focusing on the task as a high priority in the face of danger isn't that unusual and I don't see you levying this complaint against any other anime that kills off random extras with little-to-no reaction, which is practically every other action series or shonen. It comes off like hyperbolic bias against a character you don't like rather than a strong criticism.

It also doesn't help that you seem to think a "good upbringing" prevents sociopathy, which is simply not true whether or not you think Gon is sociopathic.

I mean, I told you YorkNew was really good and you didn't believe me. Chimera Ant is even better.

Does a good upbringing prevent a child from becoming a sociopath? Not 100 percent, but it definitely helps. It's a mix of genetic and environmental factors.

Plus we already established that he cares about people and has strong feelings towards his friends. So he's not one.

Again, it's not just Gon in those first 30 episodes not caring. It's everyone. I would again refer you to

(yes it has spoilers)

And what other shonen series on Toonami massacres people with no reaction? TG and Titan over emote even for cannon fodder characters.

One of the first things to happen in the exams was Kurapika and Leorio getting pissed at Hisoka for slaughtering a group of randos and attacking him. And Gon blindly going back for them because he wanted to make sure they were okay. Or when Killua kills the inmate, Kurapika and Leorio are visibly disturbed and Gon just comes off as confused by it. Or when they had to restrain themselves from going after Hanzo when he effectively tortured Gon.

But yeah, totally right. They so didn't care.