UnevenEdge

Weird/Obscure/bad Cartoons you remember

mochi

a thread to discuss cartoons you remember watching as a child(or otherwise) but that fall into one or more of these categories

Weird = self explainatory, a cartoon that you remember being weird or making no sense

Obscure = very few people remember this cartoon, or maybe even nobody but you remembers it, note: just because it's obscure doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it for whatever reason didn't hold onto a fanbase and ended prematurely, or alternatively, shows that classify as Lost Media also count as "Obscure"

Bad = you remember watching it but strongly dislike it in retrospect

my contribution

Xiaolin Showdown as a Bad cartoon

I recall loving this show as a kid, but in retrospect......it's horrible, first of all the show was weirdly racist(every character was basically made up of negative racial stereotypes, ESPECIALLY the heroic characters, Omi was a BRIGHT YELLOW asian boy who spoke broken english and had tiny squinty eyes, Kimiko was a Harajuku girl stereotype, Raimundo was a sex hungry spicy latino(or at the very least as Sex hungry as a kid's show would let him be), and Clay, the only (definitively) white one dispite being a cowboy, was not anywhere near as overtly stereotyped), and it's only likeable character was Jack Spicer, who the viewer was told to hate because he was a Ginger and (implied to be) Gay, or at least feminine (he may have also been Albino as his skin was paper white and his eyes were red), there was a reboot of the show on Disney xD a few years ago that was cancelled quickly when Disney noticed there was an Incest storyline

(they gave Chase young a love intrest who was later revealed to basically be his Daughter)

• 2 weeks later...

The Pirates of Dark Water.  Just barely remember watching it when I was a young thing.

I remember that too....I think it came on right before toonami so I only ever just barely caught the end of it when I got home from school to watch Toonami

all I really remember about it was that the male protagonist had a beautiful face ren3.jpg

edit: he sort of looks like Link Wii_002.bmp.jpg

On the subject of bad cartoons: Darkstalkers.  Not the four episode OVA based on it, the 13 episode US cartoon.

So, a fighting game about monsters being turned into a cartoon.  When said monsters include a succubus that thrives on sexual energy, an amazonian catgirl with huge breasts and virtually no clothes, and Vampire Hunter D with a Stand from JoJo.

This is the game that warranted a kids cartoon.  Just...why dammit?

On the subject of bad cartoons: Darkstalkers.  Not the four episode OVA based on it, the 13 episode US cartoon.

So, a fighting game about monsters being turned into a cartoon.  When said monsters include a succubus that thrives on sexual energy, an amazonian catgirl with huge breasts and virtually no clothes, and Vampire Hunter D with a Stand from JoJo.

This is the game that warranted a kids cartoon.  Just...why dammit?

also for some reason everyone in the show wanted to fuck Rikuo, even the guys

I vaguely remember a cartoon on Nickelodeon from like 2000 called Pelswick.  I remember absolutely nothing about the show other than that the main character was a paraplegic, and that the animation was really offputting to me (at the time, anyway).

John Callahan, the creator of that show, was a quadrapalegic (died in 2010) and that animation is the result of a disabled guy drawing by holding a pen in two hands.  FUNi actually tried releasing it on DVD a few years back before finding out the audience was nonexistent.

I vaguely remember a cartoon on Nickelodeon from like 2000 called Pelswick.  I remember absolutely nothing about the show other than that the main character was a paraplegic, and that the animation was really offputting to me (at the time, anyway).

Oh god, I remember Pelswick.....and I remember a lot about it too, it used to Air on Nickelodeon as a Companion show to As Told by Ginger and was actually surprisingly Dark in terms of Humor(not to the extent of Hey Arnold though)

the creator of the show was John Callahan, apperently a former alcoholic who became QUADraplegic in an accident (he previously had another more autobiographical Adult cartoon that only aired in Canada called "Quads" ), he apparently loved self depricating Black comedy (I,e, he made jokes about disabled people dispite being disabled himself), which his adult show made much more blatant than Pelswick did

it's apperently never gotten a legit DVD relese (Funimation apperently bought the rights to do one, then dropped it because the show had next to no fanbase)

John Callahan, the creator of that show, was a quadrapalegic (died in 2010) and that animation is the result of a disabled guy drawing by holding a pen in two hands.  FUNi actually tried releasing it on DVD a few years back before finding out the audience was nonexistent.

oop Never mind Jman beat me to it xD

I remember reading in a 4chan thread that the Canadian network where Pelswick premiered shot down a lot of stuff that the creator wanted to write into the show, including the use of the word "handicapped", so in the second season the writers created a very peculiar secret message: basically, the first letter of the first word spoken in each episode (or something), when put together, spells out "FUCK YOU CBC".

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading in a 4chan thread that the Canadian network where Pelswick premiered shot down a lot of stuff that the creator wanted to write into the show, including the use of the word "handicapped", so in the second season the writers created a very peculiar secret message: basically, the first letter of the first word spoken in each episode (or something), when put together, spells out "FUCK YOU CBC".

reminds me of when ABC cancelled reboot so they threw in a Binome saying "THE ABC'S HAVE TURNED ON US!" (apparently they named Megabytes Army the Abc's after Abc cancelled them), thankfully Toonami rescued the show

On Nickelodeon there was briefly a cartoon called The Brothers Flub

It was a flub

I vuagely remember that, wasn't it like someone watched angry beavers and tried to make a bad copy?

OH , also I remembered another Nick show called "Yakkity Yak"

I found it weird that the Intro was done in traditional animation.....and the show itself was done in really basic squash and stretch flash animation

For weird: My vote goes to Project Geeker. It was about some guy experimented on who could shapeshift, and he was protected by a cyborg lady and a dinosaur I think. Also a shoutout to Mighty Max with the hat you could travel to other dimensions through and the talking fowl(not a chicken).

Obscure: The Magician

Bad: Sky Dancers was cheesy as hell, but I loved it.

For weird: My vote goes to Project Geeker. It was about some guy experimented on who could shapeshift, and he was protected by a cyborg lady and a dinosaur I think. Also a shoutout to Mighty Max with the hat you could travel to other dimensions through and the talking fowl(not a chicken).

Obscure: The Magician

Bad: Sky Dancers was cheesy as hell, but I loved it.

also shout out to mighty max for giving educational information at the end of each episode about REALLY FUCKED UP THINGS FROM HISTORY, like cheerfully describing ritual animal sacrifice in one episode

the Magician looks like Fox kid's answer to Batman TAS

and Skydancers...............looks like an extremely Gay version of Winx Club, and I mean Gay as in there are two boys twirling like Ballerinas and wearing Fairy Costumes

I recall the name Geeker but I don't know where exactly I had heard of it previously

Something to be said for subtlety.

Well, in honor of Double Dragon IV coming out later this month, let's all remember the Double Dragon cartoon.  Or, if DIC borrowed the character designs from Fist of the North Star...and nothing else.

Something to be said for subtlety.

Well, in honor of Double Dragon IV coming out later this month, let's all remember the Double Dragon cartoon.  Or, if DIC borrowed the character designs from Fist of the North Star...and nothing else.

**looks it up**...........wow you weren't kidding, it looks like if Video Brinquendo did knock-offs of anime

Fist of the North Star is one of my favorite comics ever (at least till Shura ends) so imagining their proper counterparts dealing with the Y7 villains becomes outright hilarious.

I wonder why nobody has ripped off Dragonball Z in a similar fashion, closest I can recall is the Dragonball parody (which was surprisingly accurate, the writers did their research) in Fairly Odd Parents but that was just for one scene in an unrelated show

Indeed it was, Poke. I also remember that episode having a Speed Racer parody... albeit a rather stereotypical one.

the Speed Racer Parody was crappy, every other parody was surprisingly Decent

with every other Parody they clearly did their research and watched the shows they were Parodying, with the Speed Racer one it seems like they just saw one of those scenes where Speed's voice actor did one of those weird over-acted gasp noises that show was infamous for and focused solely on that

the DB Parody (Maho Mushi) was the best researched, probably because, yes, it was the start of the entire conflict

Pretty much anything good made it's way over to kids WB. It's odd to think that there was a time when Kids WB was a large part of the WB block. They even had an afternoon block on weekdays that ended before toonami started.

Fox kids early years were pretty good though. I remember the tales from the crypt game show, x-men, power rangers, batman tas, Taz-Mania, Beetle-borgs, Life with Louie, Bobby's world, Tiny Toons, Spider-Man, Goosebumps, Eerie Indiana.

However anything good either ended or was being bought by WB. I remember at the end of Fox kids life the only shows it had were Digimon, horrible cgi Transformers Beast Machines, Angela Anaconda, Evolution, Sonic X, Ripping Friends, and some Power Rangers knock off.  Out of those the only ones that I think were being watched were Digimon and Sonic X.

I also remember while not part of the fox kids block that at 5:30am they would show Sailor Moon. This was back when Pokemon was first shown on fox as well and they would show the little transitions like Pikachu on a pokeball or Team Rocket's Meowth blimp and saying "We'll be right back". What I wouldn't give for a dvr back then, since our VHS sucked and didn't record stuff good.

Speaking of anime parodies, the "Mock 5" episode of Dexter's Lab always floored me.

that was probably one of the best Speed Racer Parodies ever done by any cartoon, for the same reason the Dragonball parody in channel chasers was good, the writers did their research

Pretty much anything good made it's way over to kids WB. It's odd to think that there was a time when Kids WB was a large part of the WB block. They even had an afternoon block on weekdays that ended before toonami started.

Fox kids early years were pretty good though. I remember the tales from the crypt game show, x-men, power rangers, batman tas, Taz-Mania, Beetle-borgs, Life with Louie, Bobby's world, Tiny Toons, Spider-Man, Goosebumps, Eerie Indiana.

However anything good either ended or was being bought by WB. I remember at the end of Fox kids life the only shows it had were Digimon, horrible cgi Transformers Beast Machines, Angela Anaconda, Evolution, Sonic X, Ripping Friends, and some Power Rangers knock off.  Out of those the only ones that I think were being watched were Digimon and Sonic X.

I also remember while not part of the fox kids block that at 5:30am they would show Sailor Moon. This was back when Pokemon was first shown on fox as well and they would show the little transitions like Pikachu on a pokeball or Team Rocket's Meowth blimp and saying "We'll be right back". What I wouldn't give for a dvr back then, since our VHS sucked and didn't record stuff good.

Yeah I think Sailor Moon actually aired on UPN, but it actually did poorly on whatever channel it originally aired on and was cancelled after the Doom Tree arc.....but then Toonami rescued it and it became a hit