UnevenEdge

Is everyone supposed to hate their boss

Swimmod_Luna

I've had some great bosses and some terrible bosses and all kinda stuff in between.

My current job in fact, I've had a few of the best bosses I've ever had, and also some of the worst.

also too many bosses.  They've streamlined a bit on the management end and I still have technically about 6 different bosses.  And all of those aren't necessarily pulling in the same direction.

well, each boss has to look good to their boss, which means they have to get the most done.  So, like one boss wants me to do one thing so they look good, but another boss wants me to do another thing so that they look good.

and you can't always do those at the same time, or get them both done by the end of the day.

It's not always selfish interest.  Some bosses are just out to do their job the best they can.  But a lot of times there's 2-3 competitive interests that want me to do things and it falls to the hierarchy to decide which thing takes precedence. 

Almost always it's me going "we should do this" and them looking at me like I'm from Mars, then coming back at me with "we're going to do that thing you said" but just - making it sound like it was their idea instead of mine.

basically if they just let me be, shit would get done.  But - like then they couldn't take credit for it because they didn't direct anything.

Managers are encouraged to manage.  Whether it's required or not.  So if a company has too much of that, it tends to slow the process rather than speed it up.

but - like I have yet to meet a business that seems to understand that very basic premise.

What if my boss is good at his job but just annoying in other aspects and just has something about him that I can't quite pin down or concisely describe but everyone else sees it too and talks about it behind his back.

dunno.  too vague.

dunno.  too vague.

idk he just like...tries to micromanage things sometimes (in a job where workers have a very high amount of autonomy and are out in the field alone 75% of the time.) And he gets caught up on minor things sometimes and makes them a bigger deal than they need to be. Like before Thanksgiving I decided to switch my cubicle to the one next to mine, which was empty at the time. Should I have done it without asking? Probably not. But he made a big deal about it and took me into his office and talked about it for like 10 minutes when he could have just taken 2 seconds to say "don't do that without asking for approval", which is what my other supervisor (his supervisor) did.

Also he like, lied to my face about the situation and said someone else had wanted to switch to that cubicle and should have been given top priority. Even though he offered to let someone else switch to it first, and the girl that started on Monday was going to get it since that other person didn't want it.

And sometimes he's just...awkward. So very awkward.

He may just not be totally comfortable with all the aspects of management.  so some things freak him out or cause him to dread an exchange and it comes out weird or something.

One thing I've seen a lot of is how managers are held accountable for managing.  Often they get in the way of the process too much.  But then if they don't, their bosses are all like "why aren't you in the way?  why aren't you controlling these aspects of this office?" etc.

I think it can create a sort of pressure that - like can come out in those ways.

Probably if he felt no pressure himself, he wouldn't be projecting that pressure in the ways that he seems to, creating the awkwardness.

Even when you deal with "subordinates", it's a negotiation.  A manager is negotiating how to run things, how to deal with the individual, the situation, etc.  Trying to figure out on the fly what they have to say, how to say it. 

Most people aren't good at that.

Almost everyone makes mistakes on the fly.

That awkwardness is probably just that.  And possibly something you or I would also create in that situation.

Maybe with some more individualistic nuances.  But it would probably exist in some form or other.

He may just not be totally comfortable with all the aspects of management.  so some things freak him out or cause him to dread an exchange and it comes out weird or something.

One thing I've seen a lot of is how managers are held accountable for managing.  Often they get in the way of the process too much.  But then if they don't, their bosses are all like "why aren't you in the way?  why aren't you controlling these aspects of this office?" etc.

I think it can create a sort of pressure that - like can come out in those ways.

Probably if he felt no pressure himself, he wouldn't be projecting that pressure in the ways that he seems to, creating the awkwardness.

Even when you deal with "subordinates", it's a negotiation.  A manager is negotiating how to run things, how to deal with the individual, the situation, etc.  Trying to figure out on the fly what they have to say, how to say it. 

Most people aren't good at that.

Almost everyone makes mistakes on the fly.

That awkwardness is probably just that.  And possibly something you or I would also create in that situation.

Maybe with some more individualistic nuances.  But it would probably exist in some form or other.

U make some good points, sir. Have a karma.

i have four managers, essentially four different bosses. i don't hate any of them but i do get sick of some of their attitudes and cleaning up behind them.

the store manager is a reasonable woman who just once in a while gets cranky under stress but ultimately has my back no matter what. the ops manager is a man prone to dramatic mood swings and is a bit sexist in his beliefs for what women should do, so thats the most annoying. and the two young merch manager girls are basically only good for swinging their weight with the manager label when unruly customers refuse to deal with one of us department heads/coordinators/supervisors. i think because they have to be able to remember so much more, they just don't really know as much about our merchandising standards, ada guidlines, hazards, and what not. so we mostly just do their job for that and use them as extra hands to help our big department switches. lol, whenever i go on vacation, i have to come back and change everything they did so that it looks nice, makes sense, and is to corporate standard. its always a hot mess. hahaha!

i've noticed its sort of always been like this. i've either been friends with or liked all my managers/bosses growing up. it seems in the land of retail that i've experienced in my life, the worst people were always the district managers. the longest employment i've ever had was self employment so yeah, that was cool. i once worked in a tanning and hair salon for an ex boyfriends mother. again, i was basically my own boss and more or less took care of everything for her but bills because she hadn't a clue what she was doing, so she listened to me. idk, i guess i've mostly been lucky or at least very tolerable of the little shit and having to do other peoples work.

no...I legit hate my bosses...one of them had pissed me off by her tone...but she kept saying fucked up things...so I went to the other manager to talk to her in the attempt she could fix it...well when she called the manager in that I don't like I told her that I didn't want to talk to her and her response was "well if you don't want to talk to me then you don't deserve to be on my schedule"...so I called corporate saying she was threatening my job...

now the male boss...he made a comment about a Spanish speaking person saying "if you're in America speak fuckin English" and a few of my coworkers are not native to America so English isn't their first language...hell some of their family doesn't speak English...so I called him narrow minded...and he got all pissed off and flipped out saying I didn't respect him and blah blah...so instead of giving him "respect" because he's in a position of power over me...I ignore him entirely

now the male boss...he made a comment about a Spanish speaking person saying "if you're in America speak fuckin English" and a few of my coworkers are not native to America so English isn't their first language...hell some of their family doesn't speak English...so I called him narrow minded...and he got all pissed off and flipped out saying I didn't respect him and blah blah...so instead of giving him "respect" because he's in a position of power over me...I ignore him entirely

that is the kind of thing that sets me off most. i don't get, even if you might actually believe that, how one doesn't just inherently know that talk like that is completely unacceptable in the workplace. its like that shit my manager said over our radio at work on black friday. he said "ladies, i'm not hearing as much as i should be about rewards (our credit card applications) up there. if you're not able to get me double digits on a day like today, i think you need to finally admit that you should be back in the kitchen cooking where you belong." straight up, no joke, he says shit like that allllll the time and freely admits to believing those things. like, at what point in their life do they think they gained the right and free pass to speak to employees like this? shit like that can and does spiral into a HR or legal nightmare with or without unions involved. most especially if its a reoccurring comments. its like they don't even value their jobs or something. one day, that kind of shit will come to bite them in the ass should anyone find themselves in a situation where they feel violated or threatened by such comments. it may not be you or me, but at some point, its not gonna fly with someone.

I don't hate my boss, then again I'm self-employed so that should be taken into consideration.

In general, if you do your job, smile and nod you should be fine. The important thing to remember is that if you have a strong confident boss, he/she will create an environment where strength and confidence are commonplace. These are the kinds of workplaces that I prefer, you get a decision and then you go forward. If your boss is weak, timid or vacillating, the people who work there will either follow in that mold, or chafe waiting for decisions to be made so that actual work can be done.  I've been in those environments as well, they generally tend to breed resentment and a lack of morale. Sometimes weak bosses can improve but often they either move sideways or are a roadblock to strong employees who could take their place.

that is the kind of thing that sets me off most. i don't get, even if you might actually believe that, how one doesn't just inherently know that talk like that is completely unacceptable in the workplace. its like that shit my manager said over our radio at work on black friday. he said "ladies, i'm not hearing as much as i should be about rewards (our credit card applications) up there. if you're not able to get me double digits on a day like today, i think you need to finally admit that you should be back in the kitchen cooking where you belong." straight up, no joke, he says shit like that allllll the time and freely admits to believing those things. like, at what point in their life do they think they gained the right and free pass to speak to employees like this? shit like that can and does spiral into a HR or legal nightmare with or without unions involved. most especially if its a reoccurring comments. its like they don't even value their jobs or something. one day, that kind of shit will come to bite them in the ass should anyone find themselves in a situation where they feel violated or threatened by such comments. it may not be you or me, but at some point, its not gonna fly with someone.

see normally I would just let the comment slide but he said it in front of an employee that was Muslim and her parents don't speak English...but I think the one thing above all that I can't get over is the fact he yelled at me in front of everyone...so fuck him