UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

• Yuri!!! On ICE #9 (yay)
  • BanG Dream! #1

As opposed to its crosstown rival Love Live! which immediately got into things with a song and set up the plot within the first thirty seconds, this show had its entire first episode be a slow burn to introduce the characters and the setting, until it all eventually clicked when Kasumi saw the band perform in the past few minutes. Such an approach is surprising, and even audacious in my eyes, but I was really impressed with how they eased me in to the world building and didn't bother with making the heroine have her end goal realized at the very start. It's subtlety in motion, and it's rare to see it in a show along these lines.

So props to you, BanG Dream!. I'm glad I didn't doubt you based on prior critical reviews, because you certainly seem like a keeper.

To Love-Ru #3 ended with Rito tripping on a pebble and falling face-first into Haruna's crotch. Haruna punched Rito into a wall - even though he said he was sorry - and ran away screaming. Really ruined the mood and the progress made between those two.

Kuromukuro #10 ended with Yukina running into Fusunani (the Efi Dorg soldier held captive by the UN who just escaped) in one of the research facility's hallways, with the latter recognizing her as a pilot of one of their mechs, implying that something bad's about to happen to her.

Since Haruna and Yukina both have purple hair, and I was still pretty sore over Haruna's random bitchery, I felt like the two swapping places would've made for better episode endings.

Dragon Ball Super 77

Goku is terrible for trying to encourage Vegeta to leave his very pregnant wife like that.

I'm glad Vegeta did the right thing.  He's a better husband and father than Goku.  Already thought that for awhile, but this confirmed it.

Edit:  Forgot to say that I like the new OP theme and song a lot.

Yowamushi Pedal:  New Generation 5

I like the new guy.  Imaizumi's an idiot.  Since the third years left, that just means they need to recruit new people.

Duh.  I haven't liked him since ep 1, but this episode reminded me of that.  He was funny at the very end after the ED song though.

Naruko better beat the freak next episode.

Gabriel DropOut 6

I'm actually really starting to feel "over" this show. After an episode where my favorite character is in the title too! I dunno, it feels more repetitive than even I can tolerate(and I tolerate a lot) and I just don't see things changing. I'd like this show so much more if best-girl Satania wasn't constantly forced to play the butt monkey for instance. :( Gabriel herself feels like Tomoko from Watamote without any of her sympathetic or likeable scenes. A user on MAL wrote a post I'm almost tempted to quote about it because of how much I agree with it, but whatever. Might lower my score before it's all said and done.

Gintama 43

Geez, it's been so long I don't even remember all the character's names. I'm dreading the Shinsengumi coming back. I could barely remember their names even back then. :D So we had a Naruto and Evangelion reference this time, that I actually caught anyway. Who would I pick to be the new heroine had Kagura really left with Umibozu? Well it's tough since Sachan and Otae, the two jockeying for the position in this episode, are my current favorite girls besides Kagura herself. I definitely remember wanting Sachan to nab Gintoki, and purple IS my favorite color, so...I guess her. Glad she's gonna be around next episode too. :D Also, purely coincidentally, the Gintama wiki claims this episode originally aired on February 15, 2007. So exactly 10 years ago...tomorrow. Spooky, but on that note...Happy Valentines Day everybody! <3

1DkG9s1.png

Gintama 43

Geez, it's been so long I don't even remember all the character's names. I'm dreading the Shinsengumi coming back. I could barely remember their names even back then. :D So we had a Naruto and Evangelion reference this time, that I actually caught anyway. Who would I pick to be the new heroine had Kagura really left with Umibozu? Well it's tough since Sachan and Otae, the two jockeying for the position in this episode, are my current favorite girls besides Kagura herself. I definitely remember wanting Sachan to nab Gintoki, and purple IS my favorite color, so...I guess her. Glad she's gonna be around next episode too. :D Also, purely coincidentally, the Gintama wiki claims this episode originally aired on February 15, 2007. So exactly 10 years ago...tomorrow. Spooky, but on that note...Happy Valentines Day everybody! <3

1DkG9s1.png

The Shinsengumi have a couple of really great arcs later on, so I don't think that will last.

I'm actually really starting to feel "over" this show. After an episode where my favorite character is in the title too! I dunno, it feels more repetitive than even I can tolerate(and I tolerate a lot) and I just don't see things changing. I'd like this show so much more if best-girl Satania wasn't constantly forced to play the butt monkey for instance. :( Gabriel herself feels like Tomoko from Watamote without any of her sympathetic or likeable scenes. A user on MAL wrote a post I'm almost tempted to quote about it because of how much I agree with it, but whatever. Might lower my score before it's all said and done.

I haven't seen the new one yet, but I can definitely agree with you for the most part. I actually really liked Gabriel at the very beginning of the series with her angelic side. I would have preferred if they fleshed out her slob personality and built up to it rather than just have a quick change.

Honestly, thank goodness for Vigne. I mostly prefer her over anyone else besides Satania. Those two really make the show for me!

And the introduction of Tapris last week kind of made the series take a downhill plunge in my eyes. Not a super big fan of her personally.

Anyway, that's been on my mind about this show lately. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels kind of "over" it as well.

I haven't seen the new one yet, but I can definitely agree with you for the most part. I actually really liked Gabriel at the very beginning of the series with her angelic side. I would have preferred if they fleshed out her slob personality and built up to it rather than just have a quick change.

Honestly, thank goodness for Vigne. I mostly prefer her over anyone else besides Satania. Those two really make the show for me!

And the introduction of Tapris last week kind of made the series take a downhill plunge in my eyes. Not a super big fan of her personally.

Anyway, that's been on my mind about this show lately. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels kind of "over" it as well.

Sometimes adding a new character can really improve the dynamic of a show, but it doesn't feel like Tapris will be back much, and it'll be more of "dunking" on Satania for most of the gags.

I actually said in a post on MAL in episode 1's thread back when it first aired I would have preferred a more "pure" sol cgdct show that starred Gabriel with her original, uncorrupted personality. As the weeks go by I find that opinion only growing stronger. 

Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club 3

That girl's grandmother isn't very old.  Both of my parents are older than her.

MC got even dumber this ep.  Why go in the deep end when you can't swim dummy? 

Also she didn't know that bikes had been around longer than 40 years.  I like this show but the main character's stupidity is starting to get to me.

Gintama 44

Ninja episode! Lotta poop jokes in this one...plus curry and natto which apparently smell just as bad. :D Several butthole plug jokes too. Naruto would be proud. And of course there was a Shippuden nod. The Saint Seiya reference was unfortunately lost on me having never seen or read it. Seeing a human/Elizabeth's race hybrid child near the end certainty left me speechless.

p0jHdG3.png

Gintama 45

Attack of the giant Sadaharu! And dayum! What a fearsome beast he became! His little twin Komako staying the same size but with the beastly head was surprisingly adorable. :D Speaking of twins, former priestess sisters Ane and Mone debuted this episode. According to the Gintama wiki they share my birthday...neat. :D Pretty touching episode all things considered, especially the rainy scene between Kagura and Sadaharu and the Doraemon translator 'Thank You" at the end. What a good boy, and I'm not even really a dog person! :D

7PHJoN7.png

Cat's Eye 45

That's right, in addition to trying to catch up with Conan and Gintama I figured I'd also try to finish this series off if possible. And with under 30 episodes left now that shouldn't take as nearly as long as the other two. Well, despite my last episode of this having been watched 10 months ago(I checked my post in episode 44's MAL discussion thread and it was last April 12), this series was easy enough to get back into after my long absence. Geez, that 80s atmosphere it's...overwhelming! The look, the music, everything! :D Oh Toshi, if you're gonna bumble around as much as you did this episode I'm gonna start regretting defending you in earlier ones! :D Don't get me wrong, the beach scene with Hitomi was lovely even if it was just a giant tease, but everything else? Not so much. Ai and Rui were kinda awful to him too! When his "borrowed" vehicle was driven off a cliff, along with him, by the big truck I assumed the token badguy was responsible. But no, it was them. Some future sisters-in-law! He coulda died! :D Oh well, Hitomi was her usual badass self, going undercover as a street racer to recover the stolen gem and unintentionally making another one-off character fall for her. The more things change the more they stay the same. :D

qz6G3Re.png

Twin Star Exorcists 44

Piacevole! My Italian Cooking 6

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon 6

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World! Season 2, 6

• BanG Dream! #2

I'm not sure what "We Made It!" referred to. If anything, they just went backwards with Kasumi's handling of breaking the guitar. That's the thing with these shows about musical girls: They turn every single minor point of contention into a major moment of drama. Sometimes it works well, but other times, it just spectacularly fails.

But I wish the best for this band in the works. That looks like a killer practice spot in the family's secret compartment leading to a rumpus room. I had an idea similar to that nestled within my long-awaited anime-like story, which I really should start actively writing one of these days...

• Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid #6

Okay, that settles it: Lucoa is easily my favorite of the dragon MCs. :D

[your government is on fire]

Gintama 46

Sooo...apparently Umibozu's allied himself with Char from Gundam:

xpx0PUg.png

Meanwhile his daughter has allied herself with Sadaharu, looking adorable:

b4NExz5.png

Can anyone stop these all powerful duos? Well considering how fiercely their rivalry to keep their jobs burned in the main plot, Ane and Otae might have a shot if they worked together. Seriously, that was quite the Dom Perignon fueled massacre they created, leaving most of the male cast presumably destitute.

:D Also interesting that most of the characters can be drawn from a Shinpachi template, who was absent this time btw. :D

oq370Lo.png

Cat's Eye 46

Oh hey! I'm pretty sure that was Frieza's voice actor playing the main bad guy in this one. Fairly gruesome fake deaths by Ai and Rui. Apparently their use of a truck to force other cars off cliffs isn't a Toshi exclusive as they did it to Hitomi this episode. All part of the plan of course. :D

PQA36jC.png

Gintama 47

Hmmm...well, at least the animators copped to being lazy for spending nearly 2 minutes with Gintoki frozen in this pose:

XMX1Uy0.png

They definitely deserved his chewing out. I'm half tempted to wanna watch a 30 minute episode of that though, like the mayo gag on Rocko.

:D Poor Totoro...err Hedoro, must not be easy following your dream looking like that. Once again Gintoki, Shinpachi, and Kagura's imaginations get the better of them, making for some Scooby Doo-esque shenanigans. I do wonder how this would taste though:

oDCCqOW.png

Regardless, hopefully they're not so quick to judge a book by its cover from now on...yeah right.

:P

ElXwGX0.png