UnevenEdge

Zaslav shuts down Rooster Teeth, looking to unload the IP to interested buyers

10 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Eh, what if it was a good run until gen:LOCK came out? That's what I've been led to believe.

Too many horror stories from staff there, not to mention an executive recently claiming RWBY was never profitable for them.

• Like 1

Wandering around the internet, and even a few subreddits, I found out the following, thanks to a lot of the RT brass being pretty open about the situation on Twitter and their own podcast - 

1.  Rooster Teeth is shutting down in 60 days from last Thursday.  During this sunset period, they're going to shut down their storefronts, their online service, and try to sell off IP to interested buyers under their own conditions.  A former animator on RWBY/friend of Monty Oum, Dillon Goo, has expressed interest in buying the IP, but just about everyone doubts he has the cash, and thinks he's trying to position himself as the showrunner for who does get it.

2.  If Rooster Teeth cannot facilitate the sales of its properties in 60 days, then Warner and Zaslav sell the IP to the highest bidder, no strings attached.  While I'm pretty sure the biggest bid you'll get for gen:Lock is $10 and a free keychain if you sign in the next 30 minutes, RWBY apparently has interested buyers, hence the 60-day time period for Rooster Teeth to find an interested buyer with conditions, which would likely include hiring the current staff, continuing to animate in that busted-ass CG, and picking up where they left off.  Suppose the buyer gets it from Zaslav after 60 days. In that case, it's going to be a reboot with none of the restrictions in animation, a brand new art style, and probably throwing out all of the baked-in restrictions in how the girls can be animated (apparently before he died, Monty Oum put in some notable restrictions on how the girls could be portrayed, such as no panty shots, certain types of outfits not being allowed, etc).  

3.  Seriously, no one is buying gen:Lock.  I think if we all chipped in a buck and offered it to Zaslav, that would probably be the highest bid they get.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

I find it ironic that the next Death Battle was supposed to be Tom vs Wil E. Coyote

Zaslav basically killed the latter twice.

You'd think he'd actually like such a loyal customer to a vicious conglomerate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2