UnevenEdge

Hulu launched Animayhem block of programming, ironically composed of a lot of Adult Swim cast offs like Family Guy

Jman

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I didn't see Bleach mentioned. Futurama, but not Bleach. Also, this doesn't seem to be a block promo, but rather one for multiple shows.

Well it’s on demand.  It wouldn’t be a block in the conventional sense, but a collective brand name for their animation.  Hulu’s press release also specifically mentions anime will fall under this branding.

• Like 1

If this was a linear block with anime on FX or even FXX it would be something but just slapping a sub-brand on their adult animation section seems pretty needless. It’s nice to see Hulu making effort to drum up interest in their sizable animation selection though.

But it’s such a tease.

Just imagine a 4 hour block on TV. This would eat Adult Swim/Toonami’s lunch every week

10:00 - Family Guy

10:30 - New Futurama

11:00 - New Solar Opposites

11:30 - New Archer

12:00 - ZOM 100

12:30 - Bleach: TYBW

01:00 - Heavenly Delusion

01:30 - Summertime Rendering

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

If this was a linear block with anime on FX or even FXX it would be something but just slapping a sub-brand on their adult animation section seems pretty needless. It’s nice to see Hulu making effort to drum up interest in their sizable animation selection though.

But it’s such a tease.

Just imagine a 4 hour block on TV. This would eat Adult Swim/Toonami’s lunch every week

Only 2 hours of anime, yet still vastly superior to any Toonami lineup from the past two years, maybe more. I wish it could be real. 

Toonami would really benefit from a direct competitor. When they are sucking, people can point at the other block that isn’t sucking. Motivation for them to do better. I’m honestly surprised that in 11 years, no one has even tried. Toonami had some high points where I think a competitor could look and say “hey we want some of that”. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I’m honestly surprised that in 11 years, no one has even tried. Toonami had some high points where I think a competitor could look and say “hey we want some of that”. 

I think the best time for someone to have tried would've been when the modern version of Toonami was getting started, so let's say 2012-2015. You did have a few cable channels airing anime, but those were either one-offs (Mnet America my beloved) or, in the case of Chiller's Ani-Wednesdays, clearly not a serious attempt. After that period came the rise of streaming; the TV landscape feels uncertain right now, with labor strife playing a role in that, so I guess all we can do in that regard is to hope it comes crashing down.

• Like 1

SyFy tried running Ani-Monday against [as], but along with some great shows they also were in the habit of airing some of the most dire godawful OVAs ever animated, and they also had a ton of commercial breaks and wound up cutting out episode content for time. The whole thing fizzled out after a few years.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

SyFy tried running Ani-Monday against [as], but along with some great shows they also were in the habit of airing some of the most dire godawful OVAs ever animated, and they also had a ton of commercial breaks and wound up cutting out episode content for time. The whole thing fizzled out after a few years.

IIRC it ended when Manga Entertainment itself threw in the towel on business as a whole, since them (and Viz) were the main suppliers.  There was a point where they were airing Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00 and were legit competition…then the recession hit and anime sales as a whole were down, not picking up again until streaming came into its own.  So we never did get to see Monster finish its run.

If an ASA/Toonami competitor besides Ani-Monday had a chance, it was before 2016.  That’s when the migration to streaming services began in earnest, along with Netflix pushing anime next to other shows as a reason to get their service.  After that point, it was kind of unnecessary.

Linear channels continue to shed viewers for everything that isn’t a live event or sports programming.  And that trend doesn’t seem to be reversing any time soon.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Only 2 hours of anime, yet still vastly superior to any Toonami lineup from the past two years, maybe more. I wish it could be real. 

Toonami would really benefit from a direct competitor. When they are sucking, people can point at the other block that isn’t sucking. Motivation for them to do better. I’m honestly surprised that in 11 years, no one has even tried. Toonami had some high points where I think a competitor could look and say “hey we want some of that”. 

To be fair that would only last 3 months before half would be reruns and then 3 months later the other half would be too. They would have to start licensing more anime directly or would soon have the same supply problems Toonami has if CR won’t play ball. And I don’t see them spending a lot of money to do this.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jman said:

IIRC it ended when Manga Entertainment itself threw in the towel on business as a whole, since them (and Viz) were the main suppliers.  There was a point where they were airing Gurren Lagann and Gundam 00 and were legit competition…then the recession hit and anime sales as a whole were down, not picking up again until streaming came into its own.  So we never did get to see Monster finish its run.

If an ASA/Toonami competitor besides Ani-Monday had a chance, it was before 2016.  That’s when the migration to streaming services began in earnest, along with Netflix pushing anime next to other shows as a reason to get their service.  After that point, it was kind of unnecessary.

Linear channels continue to shed viewers for everything that isn’t a live event or sports programming.  And that trend doesn’t seem to be reversing any time soon.

Monster DID finish a run in 2009-2010, but not a 2nd run. At that point, it was running along with Star Blazers at 1 AM on a Thursday night or something, both doomed runs that ended in June of 2011.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The dichotomy of that block is still hilarious to me. It launched with a premiere of the GITS: SAC sequel movie Solid State Society, which kicked ass, and then I think that was followed by the great mindscrew sci-fi series Noein, and then like Jman said later on it had huge titles like Gurren and Gundam 00 and freaking Monster...but in the same breath it would air absolute drek like Vampire Wars or Sword for Truth, or what I still think may be the very worst anime series I've ever witnessed, Virus Buster Serge. I am never getting those brain cells back. Say what you will about [as]'s ups and downs over the years, but even in its worst moments it's never plummeted to those depths of shit.

• Like 2

It may have aired early on. I've tried to block as much about it from my memory as I possibly can.

Another fun thing about that block. At one point it aired the deliciously cheesy Street Fighter II V, but it cut the series off about 2/3 of the way through for seemingly no reason. A group of us on the boards were already watching shows on our own and then discussing them once a week (we started off with Monster, before SyFy aired it), and because we weren't going to stand for letting that masterpiece go unfinished, we decided to try watching the rest of it together live for the first time. It worked out pretty well, and so a certain poster who liked a certain pirate anime put together a schedule and forced us to start watching it together from the beginning. It's been over 15 years and counting, but most of us are still watching the new episode of One Piece every week, and we have that interrupted Street Fighter series of all things to thank for it. :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I think the best time for someone to have tried would've been when the modern version of Toonami was getting started, so let's say 2012-2015. You did have a few cable channels airing anime, but those were either one-offs (Mnet America my beloved) or, in the case of Chiller's Ani-Wednesdays, clearly not a serious attempt. After that period came the rise of streaming; the TV landscape feels uncertain right now, with labor strife playing a role in that, so I guess all we can do in that regard is to hope it comes crashing down.

Yea, it’s definitely too late to try unless the channel had its own access to an anime pool. I can’t see any network wanting to license anime in the current landscape. I guess AMC has the Sentai catalog right? Maybe they could smash some of those together into something. 

I actually forgot about that brief Chiller attempt. Which isn’t a surprise as looking it up to refresh my memory reminded me it died after 3 weeks. Idk if they weren’t serious or they were just out of touch. Considering their lead show was Korean Zombie Desk Car, I’m gonna go with out of touch. 

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

To be fair that would only last 3 months before half would be reruns and then 3 months later the other half would be too. They would have to start licensing more anime directly or would soon have the same supply problems Toonami has if CR won’t play ball. And I don’t see them spending a lot of money to do this.

This is an unfortunate truth. We would be eating real good, and then they would make our brief Primal rerun curse look like joke. But, id still love to see it, maybe a 3 month good block of anime would be the kick in the pants Toonami needs to do better. 

47 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

or what I still think may be the very worst anime series I've ever witnessed, Virus Buster Serge. I am never getting those brain cells back.

Eh, I'd rewatch it, if only for Tsuru-sensei's episodes.

Ani-Monday was a fun block of wildly varying quality that I have a lot of nostalgia for, as well as a bunch of fun little anecdotes regarding. The unbleeped S-bomb in Descendants of Darkness (and that show's homoeroticism in general). The two-hour block of Gundam 00 premieres near the end of season 1 that had both a cavalcade of shocking moments and what my uncle considers one of the most unintentionally hilarious, involving phallic-looking drink pouches and the phrase "Just what I needed!". My attempted go at hypothetical edit lists for various anime and movies on the SyFy per their unique standards, including Berserk, Elfen Lied, GANTZ, DearS, Paprika, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, Divergence Eve, Paranoia Agent and Requiem from the Darkness - the latter of which SyFy actually wound up airing! That one dude who thought the TV-14DLSV rating for episode 4 of Requiem meant "naked Ogin" and not "it's an abstract kind of parental incest". And, of course, Three Fabulous Weeks of Chiller Ani-Wednesdays, which kicked off my current trend of watching (and actually liking!) anime I vowed never to watch for petty reasons. I expect to renege that vow on Oshi no Ko one of these days...

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

I still have no idea why AMC bought Sentai.  Even with their weird lineup of shows, they seem happy to let it operate as its own thing.  No one has even suggested HIDIVE join AMC+, which is especially surprising given how big a train wreck AMC+ is.  They don’t have any plans to air the programs on their linear channel, and I don’t see an AMC produced Oshi no Ko series airing anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jman said:

I still have no idea why AMC bought Sentai.  Even with their weird lineup of shows, they seem happy to let it operate as its own thing.  No one has even suggested HIDIVE join AMC+, which is especially surprising given how big a train wreck AMC+ is.  They don’t have any plans to air the programs on their linear channel, and I don’t see an AMC produced Oshi no Ko series airing anytime soon.

My theory is it’s just a quick flip. Snap it up cheap when Crunchyroll is distracted with a different acquisition, and just sit on it for a year or two, then either try to sell it to Crunchyroll for a premium, or if the government decides that’s too much monopoly, farm it off to someone else who wants into the anime game. I don’t believe anime is declining in popularity any time soon, so it’s a pretty safe gamble 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sketch said:

But it’s such a tease.

Heavenly Delusion alone would be enough for me to go "HAHA FUCK AS/TOONAMI FOREVER"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 1:39 PM, Top Gun said:

The dichotomy of that block is still hilarious to me. It launched with a premiere of the GITS: SAC sequel movie Solid State Society, which kicked ass, and then I think that was followed by the great mindscrew sci-fi series Noein, and then like Jman said later on it had huge titles like Gurren and Gundam 00 and freaking Monster...but in the same breath it would air absolute drek like Vampire Wars or Sword for Truth, or what I still think may be the very worst anime series I've ever witnessed, Virus Buster Serge. I am never getting those brain cells back. Say what you will about [as]'s ups and downs over the years, but even in its worst moments it's never plummeted to those depths of shit.

This one time I pointed out that Monster was a really weird pick for the lineup and OA rode my ass for a week about how it's Syfy now and doesn't need to be sci-fi any more, and they air fantasy and horror so it fits.

I was like I never said it needed to be sci-fi. I just thought it was a weird pick because of how grounded the show is compared to the lineup.

Then I had the bulk of the folder demanding I define 'sci-fi' because Monster has medicine, therefore it has science and is fiction, therefore.... sci-fi.

Then all of the Other Anime folder proceeded to attempt convincing me that Monster fit with the block because it actually is sci-fi.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1