UnevenEdge

Adult Swim Fest 2023

there will be a toonami panel and according to demarco's tweet there's going to be lot of announcements and news from them

this will be the first time We've Seen Gil Austin in what seems like forever(That Twitter Account is dead because he hates social media and using the internet in general)

regardless it's still silly to me that all the PR Work is left up to Jason Demarco instead of the Actual Block Captain

Edited by CountFrylock

I wonder if that means this weekends Production IG panel is going to be light on information. Or Demarco is just embellishing how much they will actually have to announce. 

By that point, Dr Stone will be running low on episodes, and One Piece will be close to the end of Punk Hazard, so that’s two possible slots to announce something for. So maybe we actually will see a show announcement ahead of time for once. 

Updates on FLCLs, Uzumaki and Ninja Kamui are a given, maybe the WB x WIT anime that’s rumored to be a DC heroes isekai and maybe some yet to be announced originals for 2024.

And they’ll have a slot or two to fill soon after so maybe they’ll announce an acquisition coming soon but I expect mostly updates on original series. They’ve been real quiet about all of them this year.

And yeah they’ll probably only show a preview of Uzumaki at AX and wait till that panel to give the release date/window. I also don’t expect Toonami to be mentioned as the broadcaster for the WB x WIT project at AX and if it’s coming then Toonami will announce it at the Festival. Though it would be so like Toonami to spend a panel regurgitating news from a recent panel from one of their partners.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

You seem to have a lot of faith that they won't air Dressrosa.

Even if they do have a bunch of announcements, the fact that we're gonna have to wait three weeks for them is bullshit.

I kind of don’t, but I’m keeping the option out there just in case. Especially with the promise of “a ton of announcements” and not really a ton of space to put them without some kind of shift to the norm. 

I do agree with Sketch though, the announcements will likely all be original focused. The AX panel may simply be a heads up that Uzumaki isn’t dead, while the AS one delves into details. Same for FLCL, especially since there is a solid chance one of those is what replaces Dr Stone. 

I think for now what we are all wondering is if they will continue to stall the Food Wars replacement so they have another thing to tack onto their announcement reel. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Inb4 Demarco cancels the Toonami panel to buy more time and using the strike as a smokescreen. 

I was looking forward to a real Toonamiguy rant on the side of all this, and now I’m just immensely bummed out.

I feel for Doc. My heart goes out to him. He’s doing the right thing, but he really wanted to pour his passion out for the fans and he can’t because of asshole corporate greed above him.

I had pretty much an “eh” attitude towards general pop culture PR shit and reading his post still got to me. What an incredible team.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, [classic swim] said:

I was looking forward to a real Toonamiguy rant on the side of all this, and now I’m just immensely bummed out.

Now don’t you worry, if they call it off I’ll have plenty to rant about, and if they keep it on im expecting disappointment so I’ll have plenty to rant about then as well. There’s like a 90% chance you are gonna get that rant you crave, just hang tight on more week. 

47 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

At this point, the Toonami panel is about all [as]-con has left! 😭

I was thinking about this as well, Toonami is going to have the entire event on its shoulders if this keeps up. I don’t think any of these originals would be tied up by the strike since most of the work is happening in Japan, so it’s probably one of the only things AS can rely on actually happening. 

If Demarco requested nothing come out of the IG panel a few weeks ago, he would look like a real jackass if he pulls out of this event. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Now don’t you worry, if they call it off I’ll have plenty to rant about, and if they keep it on im expecting disappointment so I’ll have plenty to rant about then as well. There’s like a 90% chance you are gonna get that rant you crave, just hang tight on more week. 

:LithiumSmileyLaugh: I made this just for you. Days ago. But the mood’s all sour now.

C83C0A4A-5C95-4A96-A49C-86289C932700.jpeg.991cf2fd196905c73e3fc818f26d7728.jpeg

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Blatch said:

Also, this:

I like Jackson's cancellation message more than Doc's, personally. Had to quit halfway through reading it 'cause it was getting a little overbearing...

3 hours ago, Jman said:

I won't lie, if DeMarco has credits as a writer, he might just call the whole thing off in solidarity with SAG-AFTRA and the WGA.  I would not put it past him.

I doubt Demarco's doing any of the writing on any of the new originals, or even some of the ones we've already seen. The writing issues in those were either due to the animation team scrapping and reworking a script to their benefits (FLCL Progressive & Alternative), the head writer being a complete novice who had never written an official script before (Fena), or their being unsuited to the anime medium (Housing Complex C, created by a visual novel scenario writer). Come to think of it, that last one does sound like a Demarco problem...

Edited by PokeNirvash

3 hours ago, Jman said:

I won't lie, if DeMarco has credits as a writer, he might just call the whole thing off in solidarity with SAG-AFTRA and the WGA.  I would not put it past him.

I imagine this is a huge moral dilemma for him. On one hand, he could stand with the strike and get some easy twitter points. On the other, this panel is very likely the only time this year he will get to “own the haters” in regards to Toonami. Strike or no strike, those originals are far enough along to still come out this year, so if he does call off the panel, then they will just get an unceremonious announcement on Facebook and he won’t be able to stroke his ego nearly as much. 

Id bet he has Maki in his ear as well telling him to not even think about calling it off after they wasted their AX panel to give Demarco material for this one. 

4 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

:LithiumSmileyLaugh: I made this just for you. Days ago. But the mood’s all sour now.

C83C0A4A-5C95-4A96-A49C-86289C932700.jpeg.991cf2fd196905c73e3fc818f26d7728.jpeg

It’s like you went straight to the future. Can you grab me the lotto numbers next time you are there? I want that billy. 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Blatch said:

At this point, the biggest thing we have to worry about is writers and actors deciding to picket the convention itself. I've been scouring Deadline for news about that, but I haven't seen anything.

This is true. It’s bad for business to even keep the Con running with the way things are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Blatch said:

At this point, the biggest thing we have to worry about is writers and actors deciding to picket the convention itself. I've been scouring Deadline for news about that, but I haven't seen anything.

The thing is, they probably would skip the con - not to be dicks but because they wouldn't be able to really talk about their various projects anyway and that's what would happen wherever they go in the Con, fans asking questions about things that would have been handled in a cancelled panel. There'd be little reason to physically picket an event that has already cancelled any panels that would have conflicted with the current strike. 

Especially Doc since he can't fly. He'd have to take the train all the way to CA for nothing if he was going to be there physically and with his back surgery, he's not going to picket jack whether he wants to or not. 

I had a strange thought. Will the current strike affect the 'BabyKlok' tour? It may be a concert tour but it's also Metalocalypse and attached to the movie release. It's in the brutal shade of grey area. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

The thing is, they probably would skip the con - not to be dicks but because they wouldn't be able to really talk about their various projects anyway and that's what would happen wherever they go in the Con, fans asking questions about things that would have been handled in a cancelled panel. There'd be little reason to physically picket an event that has already cancelled any panels that would have conflicted with the current strike. 

Especially Doc since he can't fly. He'd have to take the train all the way to CA for nothing if he was going to be there physically and with his back surgery, he's not going to picket jack whether he wants to or not. 

I had a strange thought. Will the current strike affect the 'BabyKlok' tour? It may be a concert tour but it's also Metalocalypse and attached to the movie release. It's in the brutal shade of grey area. 

Gonna err towards it being banned given that regulations consider cosplaying union work scabbing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Jman said:

Gonna err towards it being banned given that regulations consider cosplaying union work scabbing.

They don't cosplay though. The animated scenes play on a scene in the back while the band plays live. 

But I'm also thinking they might end up cancelling/re-scheduling things. 

1 hour ago, [classic swim] said:

This is true. It’s bad for business to even keep the Con running with the way things are.

I know it’s a free event, but did they have to pay for their space out there? If so, I’d assume it’s too late for a refund and they can’t justify fully cancelling it. Strike or no strike, these projects already have their release date, so at the very least they can drum up some hype for them. 

42 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I know it’s a free event, but did they have to pay for their space out there? If so, I’d assume it’s too late for a refund and they can’t justify fully cancelling it. Strike or no strike, these projects already have their release date, so at the very least they can drum up some hype for them. 

Corporations are more than capable of pumping their smut out to their socials when worst comes to worst, which feels like it already has. If they’re all stuck with this mess then whatever. It was over before it even began.

Edited by [classic swim]

36 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Probably gonna air on Toonami as reruns...

Hopefully they do the same with Scavengers Reign. How many people around here remember that show? Because it's still coming, and it's intended for Max first.

So speaking of fluffing, they've been doing a lot of talk about Lazarus, and how Watanabe the legend is back. DeMarco thinks it'll be successful to the point where it gets multiple seasons; would be good for us, if only because no acquisitions were announced at this panel.

Edit:

But it would be a good idea.

Edited by Blatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

Hopefully they do the same with Scavengers Reign. How many people around here remember that show? Because it's still coming, and it's intended for Max first.

So speaking of fluffing, they've been doing a lot of talk about Lazarus, and how Watanabe the legend is back. DeMarco thinks it'll be successful to the point where it gets multiple seasons; would be good for us, if only because no acquisitions were announced at this panel.

Demarco is delusional and thinks Watanabe guarantees him success. It will be yet another one season wonder, especially if viewership continues to drop due to not ever getting any content 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Otakuninja9000 said:

So we got some new stuff, and we got some nothing......

Unfortunately it played out exactly as people expected. The only news we got relevant to the immediate future was FLCL. Which anyone with two brain cells already knew was airing on 9/9 the moment they stuck that rerun at 1am. 

We remain in the dark on what replaces Dr Stone and Superman, and the promised show they were close in April to announcing remains unannounced. And let’s be real, do we really think they would start a new acquired show the same week as FLCL? Big doubt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:04 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Unfortunately it played out exactly as people expected. The only news we got relevant to the immediate future was FLCL. Which anyone with two brain cells already knew was airing on 9/9 the moment they stuck that rerun at 1am. 

We remain in the dark on what replaces Dr Stone and Superman, and the promised show they were close in April to announcing remains unannounced. And let’s be real, do we really think they would start a new acquired show the same week as FLCL? Big doubt. 

Exactly......

As far as I'm aware, we could be losing a hour in August/September, thus leaving us with this:

12:00: FLCL Grunge

12:30: One Piece

1:00: Naruto: Shippuden

1:30: My Hero Academia

Or................being positive,  Keep Your Hands Off of Eizouken and Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War or Urusei Yatsura and Zom 100 could actually replace these shows.......

12:00: FLCL Grunge

12:30: Bleach: The Thousand-Year Blood War

1:00: Zom 100

1:30: One Piece

2:00: Naruto: Shippuden

2:30: My Hero Academia.

I want to see some active stuff with the block, but at this point, I just can't keep being positive about anything going on at WBD as a whole.

Perhaps if Toonami was still on CN proper or at least came back, this could be the schedule:

7:00: Villainous

7:30: Jade Armor

8:00: Gremlins: Secrets of Mogwai

8:30: My Adventures with Superman

9:00: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

9:30: One Piece

10:00: Naruto Shippuden

10:30: Dr. Stone

• Thanks 1