UnevenEdge

Attack on Titan the Final Final Season for Real This Time No Seriously You Guys shows new key visual, fall airing announcement

Jman

5 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

*The Greatest Story Ever Told

God help us if in a few years we get Titandonk Side Pieces.

I’ll only accept that if they animate the comic where the Titans show up in Manhattan and fight The Avengers.

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:37 AM, Jman said:

God help us if in a few years we get Titandonk Side Pieces.

I’ll only accept that if they animate the comic where the Titans show up in Manhattan and fight The Avengers.

You know its coming.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

So does Crunchyroll play nice this time now that they know [as] still has the dub premiere rights, or do they dick everyone over for 6 months again?

The earliest I see this airing is Saturday December 16th but that's more than a little ambitious around the holidays.

Wait, so.. wait, what? What was even the point of airing that "premier" if that was literally all there is so far? I thought we were against playing movies on Toonami?

I don't follow any AoT stuff, so I just assumed last week was a big "our season opener is extra long and extra spectacular but leads into normal episodes afterwards" presumably until the end. Are they really just chopping all of this up into movie segments releasing sparsely?

23 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Wait, so.. wait, what? What was even the point of airing that "premier" if that was literally all there is so far? I thought we were against playing movies on Toonami?

I don't follow any AoT stuff, so I just assumed last week was a big "our season opener is extra long and extra spectacular but leads into normal episodes afterwards" presumably until the end. Are they really just chopping all of this up into movie segments releasing sparsely?

The final-final-for-sure-final-we-mean-it part of the series was announced as being two hour-long special episodes from the get-go. The reason this first half took so long to air was probably due to some fuckery on Crunchyroll's part. Either that or they just wanted to get it closer to when the second half comes out and hope for a quick turn-around on that.

8 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

The final-final-for-sure-final-we-mean-it part of the series was announced as being two hour-long special episodes from the get-go. The reason this first half took so long to air was probably due to some fuckery on Crunchyroll's part. Either that or they just wanted to get it closer to when the second half comes out and hope for a quick turn-around on that.

I wonder if that's actually what we'll see? If Toonami CAN air the special on November 4th, with an extra hour in the block, that might be a good move!

But it's more likely that Part 1 gets replayed on November 4th.

Ohhhh. See, I assumed by "season" there would be an actual season of at least some amount of normal 30 minute episodes. I honestly had no idea about it taking a while to make it here or whatever. Honestly, again, kinda genuinely surprised Toonami even decided to go for this given previous stance of No Movies. And, again turns this whole "ending" mess into something even more ridiculous that it already seemed.

But hey, if it means AoT gets one-and-done'd instead of having to see it every week, all the better.

1 minute ago, rpgamer said:

Pfft. And yet we couldn't get Dawn of the Deep Soul. Bah!

Dawn of the Deep Soul is a movie. The AoT two part finale is an extended episode. And because of that likely fell under their 2014 contract entitling them to dub premier every season of AoT. 

Had these two part been one and a proper movie, we probably would not have seen it air

• Thanks 1

Movies based on anime series very frequently have different production committee members than the series proper, and that means a whole different set of negotiations for linear television broadcast rights. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some Japanese producers don't even offer broadcast rights for movies, or else make them much more expensive comparatively than the base series, because they're Movies and Movies Are Special or some nonsense like that. It was unfortunate that Made in Abyss's movie was a core part of the storyline of the series, instead of your usual shonen side story. Toonami definitely would have aired it if they could, thoughts about past one-off movie events aside, but it didn't work out. I'm not sure what sort of status this two-part Titan finale actually has as far as the series is concerned, whether it's treated as two regular episodes that happen to be longer or as an OVA or something else entirely. I've seen a few people speculate that part of the reason for the delay may have been Crunchyroll pushing back at Toonami's exclusivity deal for dub premieres extending to them, but I don't think we have anything concrete to back that up.

I mean, I ain't even mentioning rights or anything. Just, movie, OVA, "extended episode," call it whatever you want, it still ate up three episodes-worth of air time, which always seemed to be the more important sticking point when considering airing movies. Rights aside, movies just take up a lot of space and rarely justify knocking other shows off the block. (evidently we don't have any other shows for the block right now, so I guess it's a non-issue, lolololol)

Maybe personal bias, but I kinda hope these "extended episodes" came in cheaper than picking up rights for a whole season or whatever. Kinda doesn't matter how big the draw is (and it's certainly not what it was), they really just can't get a ton of drawn out value from a one-and-done.

34 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I mean, I ain't even mentioning rights or anything. Just, movie, OVA, "extended episode," call it whatever you want, it still ate up three episodes-worth of air time, which always seemed to be the more important sticking point when considering airing movies. Rights aside, movies just take up a lot of space and rarely justify knocking other shows off the block. (evidently we don't have any other shows for the block right now, so I guess it's a non-issue, lolololol)

Maybe personal bias, but I kinda hope these "extended episodes" came in cheaper than picking up rights for a whole season or whatever. Kinda doesn't matter how big the draw is (and it's certainly not what it was), they really just can't get a ton of drawn out value from a one-and-done.

I don’t think space was ever a factor. I mean, at one point we were pausing the well stocked block for a full MONTH to run movies. What killed movie month was the cost, they couldn’t afford to get new movies every year and no one wanted to see a loop of the same ones every year. Iirc Demarco said at one point the price for one movie was equivalent to one 12 episode series, so if that still holds true it’s not shocker why they took a no movie stance early in the blocks life. 

We ended up getting AoT because they had a foot in the door for the rights. I know they wanted to air DotDS and the Dr Stone OVA but they didn’t have that path forward to secure them for a reasonable cost so they didn’t get them. 

The argument made against movie acquisitions in the past was mostly that it was a bad value-for-money proposition, i.e. they didn't draw enough ratings in to justify the increased expense for a one-off. However, that was almost always in the context of either completely stand-alone movies (like Shinkai and Hosoda's works) or your standard Jump spinoff movies like MHA's. The Demon Slayer movie was the first instance I can think of where a block anime had a direct sequel in movie format (albeit one that got an episode version afterwards), and all indications were that they would have gladly aired it, but the franchise's explosive success in its wake put the entire franchise out of their price range going forward. With Made in Abyss, obviously they were able to air the regular season's worth of content after the movie, and they absolutely would have aired the movie too if they could have.

• 1 month later...

Wow it’s a dang movie this time.

Gonna need 4 slots at 21-22 mins per half hour. They’d actually have to expand the block 1 night to air both parts.

Might as well go all out and run the 2 hour finale followed by the first 1.5 hour special from 2am-3:30 then repeat the finale from 3:30-5:30 and either cap it off with an episode of Samurai Jack or Unicorn or just awkwardly transition to Futurama or another comedy.

They’ll need a bit more time to dub the equivalent of 4 episodes but theoretically they could have it ready for December 16th, 9th or even 2nd.

• Thanks 1