UnevenEdge

Newest Simpsons Tree House of Horrors has a Death Note parody

matrixman124

27 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Hey, remember that time the Simpsons comics parodied Death Note, only Bart was in the position of Light, Lisa was L, and Misa's role was just written out?

At least "Krusty = Ryuk" is consistent.

"Murder He Wrote."  It was actually pretty funny.

That was pretty fun, if played rather straight. I really liked how they went for the full-on DRAMATIC WRITING SCENE. Honestly though, I thought the last segment of the episode was straight-up fantastic. That was probably the first new Simpsons episode I've watched in almost 15 years, and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected.

• Like 2

I checked out the episode. I usually watch the Tree House of Horrors when they air. 

I thought the Death Note parody was really good. Some of the scenes like when Light falls backward at the first sight of Ryuk , as well as writing down everyone's names in the book, were done really well and gave me the exact same vibes as the anime. I thought the animation was really good haha I read that the same animation team from Death Note collaborated with this production? I have no sources. If true then that is pretty spectacular though. 

The ending of the episode was indeed hilarious!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

The Korean animation studio DR Movie animated that segment. They've done in-between animation and background work for literally hundreds of anime series over many years, including Death Note.

Ah, I see. That is what I had read as well, but I could not find any production info on like Wiki etc. during a quick scan so I was not sure what was true. They still did a great job capturing the vibes and motions of the anime IMO though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

That was pretty fun, if played rather straight. I really liked how they went for the full-on DRAMATIC WRITING SCENE. Honestly though, I thought the last segment of the episode was straight-up fantastic. That was probably the first new Simpsons episode I've watched in almost 15 years, and it was a lot more enjoyable than I expected.

Yeah really happy they didn't play it completely straight. Some good back to back twists there.

It was pretty clever how they made a Death Note parody that poked fun at how the notebook would be used if the owner can’t  only rely on practical deaths or the default heart attack.

So many Death Note parody comics lean on “funny cartoon guy gets the Death Note” or “hated person is murdered by the notebook” that they don’t realize the funniest twist a Death Note could have is to have impractical rules. Where once the normal deaths get played out, they have to get more ridiculous with giant blenders and toilet animals. 

They had some gags that took me out as well like Homer knowing he’s made it as a salaryman if he’s flat-out drunk at the dinner table, Mr. Burns’ head collapsing on the burner after a “peaceful” sleeping death, or L revealing that Lisa was outlining all of her murders in her regular diary.