UnevenEdge

Lupin the 3rd Part 6 - Episode 23 Discussion!!

6 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I don't recall implying that it did, but it's probably the first time you ever saw it.

Maybe.  It feels like something that would be in Cold War spy stories.  I could see it being in a James Bond movie or old spy show or something?  Hmm.

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Maybe.  It feels like something that would be in Cold War spy stories.  I could see it being in a James Bond movie or old spy show or something?  Hmm.

Manchurian Candidate. Lupin writers often reference pop culture so i doubt they went back that far.

Edited by saito34
  • Like 2

I went into this episode with an unhealthy amount of dread. The moment I noticed all the one-off female characters from this half each had voice credits for this episode - Mylene, Gabby, Linfeng, Amelia, Muru, and even the deceased Hazel - I had a gut feeling that only got worse the moment Mathia went full sleeper agent in episode 19. I feared I would go into this episode and discover throughout the course of its 22 minutes that these characters, even those without an explicit connection to Tomoe, would wind up dead like Hazel. Offscreened in a fashion unseen since Appleseed XIII in 2011. (Trust me, the inconsistent CGI wasn't the only thing wrong with that show.)

Now, after having seen it... I feel somewhat relieved that those still alive managed to survive. Sure, having all of them be Tomoe's pupils was a little lazy (if not unprecedented), and having them all enter Lupin's world to play a role, say a specific line in their native language so as to make him go full sleeper agent and return to Tomoe feels awfully manipulative; the latter coming off as even more ridiculous when you remember that some of their episodes had their run-ins with Lupin feel extremely coincidental, especially Muru's. (She wasn't even featured in episode 13's "women watching Lupin" montage, for pete's sake! Even Finn got screentime in that one, and she wasn't even part of Tomoe's trigger phrase plan!) But hey, the only thing worse would've been killing them off without the decency of an onscreen demise for forced drama, and personally, that's all that matters.

Bonus: apparently Arianna lived! We never saw her onscreen, but after her bloody exit in episode 19, I thought she'd be dead for sure. But between Zenigata never outright specifying if she lived or died, Arianna's recording saying that Mathia stabbed her, not killed her, and that scene of Yata in a hospital waiting room, it appears that the ambiguity of her fate has shifted to the side of "I lived, bitch." Guess Yata was just being melodramatic, reacting to her losing consciousness from a grievous wound like Mister Pedro reacts to pretty much anything that inconveniences him.

[noooooooo~!]

Edited by PokeNirvash

On 10/12/2022 at 6:05 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Bonus: apparently Arianna lived! We never saw her onscreen, but after her bloody exit in episode 19, I thought she'd be dead for sure. But between Zenigata never outright specifying if she lived or died, Arianna's recording saying that Mathia stabbed her, not killed her, and that scene of Yata in a hospital waiting room, it appears that the ambiguity of her fate has shifted to the side of "I lived, bitch." Guess Yata was just being melodramatic, reacting to her losing consciousness from a grievous wound like Mister Pedro reacts to pretty much anything that inconveniences him.

[noooooooo~!]

Well I'll be...I wonder if she will play a role in the final episode? That would certainly be interesting!