UnevenEdge

Warner cancels completed Batgirl film for apparently sucking, plan to make it a tax write off

Jman

7 minutes ago, DragonSinger said:

This really isn't good. Pray for whatever's in the pipeline under this company because except for Batman/Joker or Harry Potter, it ain't safe.

Apparently Blue Beetle, despite being completed, and starting the Latino kid from Cobra Kai fresh off of well…Cobra Kai, is next to be canned.  Warner is apparently going to axe it after viewing a first print.

At this point just give Keaton a shit ton of money and have him play old Bruce in Batman Beyond.  It’s what they should have done with him in the first place.

• Like 1

If that's not enough, Warners has also removed several HBO Max original movies from the service, and more series/shows are on the chopping block, presumably also for tax cuts.

This is appalling and a bit bewildering. Canning Batgirl was bad enough (and how often does a movie get cancelled deep into production nowadays?), but getting rid of original streaming content just reeks of capitalist excess. I figured we would see this happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to happen to content that had premiered just a couple years earlier. It's enough to make me wonder what might happen to the [adult swim]/Crunchyroll originals. Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again? I suppose it wouldn't be a huge loss, and we've seen this happen before (ThunderCats (2011)/Sym-Bionic Titan/Beware the Batman), but I still wouldn't approve of it.

• Like 2
  • D'oh 1

Considering how even the optimists are acting like Zaslav is going to run mad with power over all this, I think I'm just gonna steer clear of Twitter tomorrow.

Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again?

We've been through this before. Cartoon Network tried that crap with IGPX back in 2006, but instead of going to the government, the ownership of the show went back to Production I.G because international co-pros are different, and [as] bought it back in 2013 for re-air, no issue. On the extreme offchance that Fena does get written off, Demarco could just wait a few years 'til the heat dies down and buy it back. If he's willing, of course.

Edited by PokeNirvash

11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

If that's not enough, Warners has also removed several HBO Max original movies from the service, and more series/shows are on the chopping block, presumably also for tax cuts.

This is appalling and a bit bewildering. Canning Batgirl was bad enough (and how often does a movie get cancelled deep into production nowadays?), but getting rid of original streaming content just reeks of capitalist excess. I figured we would see this happen eventually, but I wasn't expecting it to happen to content that had premiered just a couple years earlier. It's enough to make me wonder what might happen to the [adult swim]/Crunchyroll originals. Maybe they're gonna write off Fena and it won't be allowed to air on Toonami again? I suppose it wouldn't be a huge loss, and we've seen this happen before (ThunderCats (2011)/Sym-Bionic Titan/Beware the Batman), but I still wouldn't approve of it.

It sucks that we're pretty much at this point:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seight said:

Warner Bros. Discovery: *cutting a lot of programming, a LOT of programming, to save money*

Me, an AEW Fan: Nervous Key And Peele GIF

AEW is low cost, live programming in the vein of sports.  It's one of the potential big winners in this shitshow.  You want AEW/ROH on Discovery+?  Odds are you will get it because of how cheap it is.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Well that sucks, guessing Warrior s3 might be on the block. I was glad when HBO picked that up.

You just reminded me of that.  That's going to make me cry.  I'm sorry, but you found a guy that nailed a role Bruce Lee made FOR HIMSELF, and not only can you not get him a decent Hollywood film, you're going to cancel the thing that made me care about him in the first place.

7 hours ago, Jman said:

AEW is low cost, live programming in the vein of sports.  It's one of the potential big winners in this shitshow.  You want AEW/ROH on Discovery+?  Odds are you will get it because of how cheap it is.

I want to believe that, but at the same time I've been around long enough to remember "A WWE competitor on Turner networks gets killed after the new owners take over" happening once, so.

14 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Considering how even the optimists are acting like Zaslav is going to run mad with power over all this, I think I'm just gonna steer clear of Twitter tomorrow.

Hey, I wasn't trying to be alarmist. It sucks, but the only stake I have in all this is [as], and by extension Toonami. Our end of the pool has been surprisingly fee of dooming, which I attribute to anime being cheap and available in... decent quantity. And I can't see them canceling Primal, as it's rated well and has credibility via awards behind it.

[but who knows what's happening to the co-pros]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jman said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/batgirl-canceled-hbo-max-film-gets-secret-screenings-1235205323/

The footage still exists, the directors were just blocked from having it.  Hence these “funeral screenings.”

While I get why they may want to destroy the footage, I felt the idea was a bit excessive.  Better to save it and wait until it might actually be profitable.

Regardless, I expect it to turn up a lost media search 7 or so years from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainStarwind said:

While I get why they may want to destroy the footage, I felt the idea was a bit excessive.  Better to save it and wait until it might actually be profitable.

Regardless, I expect it to turn up a lost media search 7 or so years from now.

Destroying the footage would mean destroying the evidence of labor they want that precious  tax write off for.  Unwise.