UnevenEdge

Shenmue The Animation Episode 2 "Daybreak" Discussion

Last time on Shenmue - 

Karate prodigy Ryo Hazuki's life was shattered as his father was murdered by a mysterious kung fu master.  After taking a leave of absence, Ryo is unsure whether to pursue revenge when confronted by the Chinese equivalent of Gollum, who wants the Precious, Precious mirror.  After driving him off with the power of flashbacks, Ryo decides that he is going to pursue his father's killer because he done made this personal with the assassin.

Today, well...Ryo begins looking for clues at the docks.  Cue the sailor jokes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Last time on Shenmue - 

Karate prodigy Ryo Hazuki's life was shattered as his father was murdered by a mysterious kung fu master.  After taking a leave of absence, Ryo is unsure whether to pursue revenge when confronted by the Chinese equivalent of Gollum, who wants the Precious, Precious mirror.  After driving him off with the power of flashbacks, Ryo decides that he is going to pursue his father's killer because he done made this personal with the assassin.

Today, well...Ryo begins looking for clues at the docks.  Cue the sailor jokes.

Ryo's sailor hunt begins! xD

Spoiler

tumblr_mkilwgcN751s5kbxvo1_1280.png

• Haha 1

I think the anime has boiled down the essence  of Shenmue's story to what it is without hilariously awkward dubbing and outdated gameplay mechanics.

A Hong Kong martial arts movie.  The opening music even sounds like something from a Shaw Bros film.

I do like how the script is outright lampshading the questionable tics of the original game dub as well.  Ryo's inflection isn't because the actor can barely speak English, it's because something is legitimately wrong with him and he won't find peace until his father's death is avenged. 

That being said, the timeline is off.  The game takes place in the 80s but the arcade has Virtua Fighter 1 machines and there's Sonic toys.  The arcade being dark and dingy was actually a purposeful thing, since that was the stereotype of arcades back then.  Suzuki made a lot of machines that were essentially amusement rides (OutRun, Space Harrier, Hang On) to get games into more family oriented spaces.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:00 AM, Jman said:

I think the anime has boiled down the essence  of Shenmue's story to what it is without hilariously awkward dubbing and outdated gameplay mechanics.

A Hong Kong martial arts movie.  The opening music even sounds like something from a Shaw Bros film.

I do like how the script is outright lampshading the questionable tics of the original game dub as well.  Ryo's inflection isn't because the actor can barely speak English, it's because something is legitimately wrong with him and he won't find peace until his father's death is avenged. 

That being said, the timeline is off.  The game takes place in the 80s but the arcade has Virtua Fighter 1 machines and there's Sonic toys.  The arcade being dark and dingy was actually a purposeful thing, since that was the stereotype of arcades back then.  Suzuki made a lot of machines that were essentially amusement rides (OutRun, Space Harrier, Hang On) to get games into more family oriented spaces.

I don't think it's that the actor didn't speak English well.  I think these were actual Western actors, but Suzuki was crazy and demanded the dubbing be done in Japan, and personally chose the VAs... but based more on how much they looked like the characters.  This was on some documentary or article I think.  The production behind this game was crazy.  Suzuki had the budget and freedom to do whatever he wanted basically, because of his history in the industry.  This was a man who created whole genres.  But the game and the Dreamcast did not do as well as hoped, unfortunately.

I do like that Ryo still sounds pretty monotone haha.  The girl talks similar too, and we have had a few of the same type of awkward condos. xD

You're right.  I never thought about the games appearing being anachronistic.  But that was in the original Shenmue game too.