UnevenEdge

Contemporary Myths

tsar4

Excising future back & forth from the Memes thread.

Paul (McCartney) is Dead.

The story as I remember it was that on a rainy night in the late 60's (just prior to Sgt. Pepper), Paul is driving in his car and sees a young lady getting drenched.  He pulls over to offer a ride and she accepts.  As they resume, she realizes who she's in a car with and flips out.  Paul loses control of the car and slams into  a wall, killing himself and the girl.

The clues (not necessarily in order - 

Abbey Road LP - The front cover shows George dressed as a common man/gravedigger.  Ringo as a mourner.  Paul, in the suit he crashed in as the dead man, he's out of step, shoeless and holding his cigarette in his right hand (he's left-handed).  John as the preacher. The back of the album cover shows the wall the car slammed into.  The crack in the wall runs through "BEATLES" indicating there's a fracture in the band.

Magical Mystery Tour - I Am The Walrus - In some Nordic mythology, the Walrus represents death.  Strawberry Fields Forever - at the end it says, "I Buried Paul".

White Album - Glass Onion - the lyric "The Walrus was Paul" sung by John, admitting that Paul was dead (see: I Am the Walrus).  Revolution #9 - playing the repeated words "number 9" in reverse sounds like "Turn me on dead man".

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Front cover is Paul's grave.  The guitar (in flowers) has four strings, Paul played a 4 string bass and faces with the fretboard to the right (as Paul would play left-handed).  Paul holds an oboe across his body as one might when lying in repose in a casket.  On the interior of the album, Paul has a patch on his shoulder that purportedly says, "OPD" (Offically Pronounced Dead).The "old Beatles" are in mourning (depicted).  The back of the LP shows George, John and Ringo facing the camera with Paul facing away.  George is making an L with his fingers, Paul's belt has a circle (an O), John has his hands tucked in his belt as a V and Ringo interlaced his fingers in an E (L-O-V-E).  George's index finger also points to the lyrics of "She's Leaving Home" on the line "Wednesday morning at 5 o'clock...".  Some DJ flipped the front of the album upside down & found that "BEATLES" looked like 537-1438, so he called the number on a Wednesday at 5 am and asked about the Beatles - the person who answered only said "PM".  The DJ asked if the person could say anything more and the person said to call back later.  The DJ checks the lyrics and finds "Friday Morning at 9 o'clock...", so he calls at that time and the number has been disconnected.  In the song, "A Day in the Life" are the lines, "He blew his mind out in a car, he didn't notice that the lights had changed, a crowd of people stood and stared, they'd seen his face before...nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords", meaning his face looked familiar but was too messed up from the crash to identify.

Another part of the story has there being a "Beatles Look-alike" contest, hosted by a British Radio station with the winner getting some Beatles related stuff.  The winner was a near match for Paul.  His name was something like George MacKenzie.  When Paul "died", the remaining Beatles grabbed him to fill in, despite his not knowing how to play any instrument.  The rest covered for him on albums until they taught him how to play.  Supposedly this happened before SPLHCB, which was why there was such a drastic change between it and the albums that came before.  Someone even tried to do a dental comparison from photos, claiming that the Pauls had different smiles and tooth alignments.

I think there's more that I've forgotten.  For their part, The Beatles claimed that they had no hand in the rumor or adding to it.  A joke going around was that Paul's guitar playing "improved after he died".  I personally don't think any of it is true, but I think the Beatles did play along to some extent.  I'm pretty sure, that the patch that supposedly says "OPD" is actually "OBE" (Order of the British Empire)" award which they all received (and John returned).

Edited by tsar4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think the Beatles are a little too old to be considered contemporary.

The myth of Gandhi being nuke-happy in the original Civilization game was proven by Sid Meier himself last year to have never happened. Kinda niche myth, but that's all I could think of at the top of my head. 

Edited by bnmjy

19 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I think the Beatles are a little too old to be considered contemporary.

I knew someone would make this argument.  As myths, legends, lore, etc go, it's fairly contemporary.  When most hear the word "myth", they think of the ancient Greeks & Romans.

• Like 1

Oh god, I got one..... I hope this doesn't turn into a whole thing, but here it goes....

"Epstein didn't kill himself."

Honestly, if I did what he did, got arrested, and was waiting around in jail to be found guilty and sent to prison to probably be torn apart by my fellow prisoners..... The very first thing I would do once the opportunity arose is kill myself. Seriously, Why WOULDN'T you kill yourself in those shoes? You're just going to be beaten to death by the other inmates anyway. That's how Jeffrey Dahmer died anyway.

"But the cameras went blank and nobody saw and nobody stopped him!"

Who knows, maybe security was like, this scumbag wants to hang himself, let's let him. Fuck this prick.

6 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Oh god, I got one..... I hope this doesn't turn into a whole thing, but here it goes....

"Epstein didn't kill himself."

Honestly, if I did what he did, got arrested, and was waiting around in jail to be found guilty and sent to prison to probably be torn apart by my fellow prisoners..... The very first thing I would do once the opportunity arose is kill myself. Seriously, Why WOULDN'T you kill yourself in those shoes? You're just going to be beaten to death by the other inmates anyway. That's how Jeffrey Dahmer died anyway.

"But the cameras went blank and nobody saw and nobody stopped him!"

Who knows, maybe security was like, this scumbag wants to hang himself, let's let him. Fuck this prick.

I'm not going to make it a full thing either, but I offer the counterpoint that he was on suicide watch for a reason, and then they took him off suicide watch.  Like, if someone is in prison for being a human trafficker dealing specifically in children and catering to the rich and powerful, they certainly may feel a lot of guilt.  So you keep them on suicide watch and under 24 hour personal surveillance until they can testify.  You don't just say "oh, he doesn't want to kill himself anymore oops isn't it convenient the guards aren't there oh no the cameras went out" and then when he dies you wonder "oh wow I wish we knew what happened oh well we can't do anything."

Like, I don't do anything beyond the surface level digging because there's not enough evidence to conclusively point to a suspect, but things were in no way kosher in Epstein's death.

6 hours ago, GuyBeardmane said:

I'm not going to make it a full thing either, but I offer the counterpoint that he was on suicide watch for a reason, and then they took him off suicide watch.  Like, if someone is in prison for being a human trafficker dealing specifically in children and catering to the rich and powerful, they certainly may feel a lot of guilt.  So you keep them on suicide watch and under 24 hour personal surveillance until they can testify.  You don't just say "oh, he doesn't want to kill himself anymore oops isn't it convenient the guards aren't there oh no the cameras went out" and then when he dies you wonder "oh wow I wish we knew what happened oh well we can't do anything."

Like, I don't do anything beyond the surface level digging because there's not enough evidence to conclusively point to a suspect, but things were in no way kosher in Epstein's death.

To clarify, you’re saying Epstein was allowed to kill himself, not that he was murdered, right?

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

To clarify, you’re saying Epstein was allowed to kill himself, not that he was murdered, right?

Personally, I believe he was murdered by guards.  But there's no evidence to say he was so I'm sitting on that and not digging deeper into the crackpot theories that other people have.

Just now, GuyBeardmane said:

Personally, I believe he was murdered by guards.  But there's no evidence to say he was so I'm sitting on that and not digging deeper into the crackpot theories that other people have.

That seems preposterous, even if just for the fact that there are so many different "powerful" people involved with competing interests.  The only guy with a connection (tenuously) that really had any power to murder him is Trump, and Trump had the most to gain by his testimony given all of the other people that shmoozed with Epstein and Maxwell over the years.  Furthermore, Maxwell herself would be at the bottom of the Atlantic by now if there was a conspiracy to disappear Epstein and everything he knew.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

That seems preposterous, even if just for the fact that there are so many different "powerful" people involved with competing interests.  The only guy with a connection (tenuously) that really had any power to murder him is Trump, and Trump had the most to gain by his testimony given all of the other people that shmoozed with Epstein and Maxwell over the years.  Furthermore, Maxwell herself would be at the bottom of the Atlantic by now if there was a conspiracy to disappear Epstein and everything he knew.

He wasn't in a Fed. Pen., he was in a city lockup.  Even a Mayor could have ordered a "youse guys make yourself scarce for awhile" hit.

2 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

He wasn't in a Fed. Pen., he was in a city lockup.  Even a Mayor could have ordered a "youse guys make yourself scarce for awhile" hit.

He was on a fed hold, but, more importantly, he wasn't linked to any city leaders at the time.  The likelihood that he had a city leader on the take is probably pretty good, but he didn't do most of his partying in the city itself meaning there doesn't appear to be any reason why a local city leader would want him dead.

The reason the myth lacks any credibility is because the conspiratorial buzz around it doesn't line up with those who would reasonable have access to a hit.

2 hours ago, Lasty said:

I have a dog, and she looks up at me all the time.

“Dog owners will assert that dogs can clearly look upwards, as they often gaze up towards their owners. However, this does not mean that a dog has the same level of head movement as a human; the structure of a dog’s neck and spine prohibits extreme movements. A dog is able to point its head upwards, but only to a certain degree, and they can move their eyeballs upwards much less so. For this reason they often ‘look about’ by moving their heads rather than their eyes. When lying down, though, the level of head-tilting a dog can perform increases, which is why a dog may often lie down to observe an overhead bird or other elevated object. In addition, it is very rare for a dog to be able to look straight upwards without lying flat on its back or standing upright.”

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poof said:

“Dog owners will assert that dogs can clearly look upwards, as they often gaze up towards their owners. However, this does not mean that a dog has the same level of head movement as a human; the structure of a dog’s neck and spine prohibits extreme movements. A dog is able to point its head upwards, but only to a certain degree, and they can move their eyeballs upwards much less so. For this reason they often ‘look about’ by moving their heads rather than their eyes. When lying down, though, the level of head-tilting a dog can perform increases, which is why a dog may often lie down to observe an overhead bird or other elevated object. In addition, it is very rare for a dog to be able to look straight upwards without lying flat on its back or standing upright.”

cover.jpg

13 hours ago, Poof said:

No. She looks up just fine. Don't know what else to tell you.