UnevenEdge

Yashahime airs two episodes back to back on November 20th

CountFrylock

At this point you gotta wonder if they are trying to make us think they’re about to go off of the air or at least lose an hour or two.

They so far haven’t announced a marathon for November 27th but there’s no reason they can’t do one.

If they have to wait till December for Demon Slayer then it is what it is but geez what a waste to start Black Lotus with nothing else.

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

At this point you gotta wonder if they are trying to make us think they’re about to go off of the air or at least lose an hour or two.

They so far haven’t announced a marathon for November 27th but there’s no reason they can’t do one.

If they have to wait till December for Demon Slayer then it is what it is but geez what a waste to start Black Lotus with nothing else.

how would you react if they try to do nothing but marathons and reruns until January after November 20th?

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Some have been thinking that way for years, and it sucks that they're starting to feel vindicated thanks to this bullshit scheduling decision.

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

how would you react if they try to do nothing but marathons and reruns until January after November 20th?

Make no mistake, I would not be pleased but I probably would not be that frustrated by it. Especially if they’re running more movies.

But if they hold off on starting new shows until January I would rationalize that they are doing that to ensure they’ll have new content while they wait for the 2022 budget (they don’t get that on January 1st). And maybe whatever show they are getting isn’t ready till January regardless.

I think we can look at the doubled up YashaHime as potential evidence that they aren’t giving up on starting a show soon because they could have just started another rerun if they had nothing coming. On the other hand, doubling up YashaHime to finish it sooner could be looked at as preparation to close up shop. So hell if I know.

• Thanks 1

My hope is that they're really close to getting a new show and are just doing this to buy time. We've had cases of that before. As for Blade Runner, I hope they don't end up screwing it over with moves like this. If they're going to air a marathon (or more DC shit; we're due for at least one more night of that this year) on November 27, they should at least do like Fena and have an episode air in front.

• Thanks 1

My guess if that they're really trying to stretch the budget as much as possible for the big series. Demon Slayer's definitely a big ticket purchase, and I wouldn't be surprised if the pricetag went way up considering the movie made approximately all the weeb money in the world. I assume they'll want to make a solid offer whenever the new Bleach season comes out too, and that's probably worth saving up for now ahead of time. Plus we've still got Uzumaki and at least one other show announced for next year, so someone at the network clearly has every intention of keeping Toonami running through 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also wouldn't surprise me if one of the short-term issues is simply that dubbing for the brand new stuff still isn't quite as fast as usual for the time being with both things understandably taking longer and also even backlog they're still catching up on from last year's delays during the transfer to recording from home. A number of the dubs from last season are even still in progress due to it, when they normally would have finished for a while by now.

Like, in past years before the pandemic, given their efficiency they'd built up, we'd have known by now all the new series that just started a few weeks ago that Funi would be choosing for simuldubbing, but because of the increased lag time even some of the new show pages that list both sub and dub implying upcoming dubs actually haven't started them yet.

For example, The Heike Story, looks like it's on episode 8 already in Japanese but the dub only very recently came out for episode 1. In my memory that feels like almost double the buffer they used to need before everything happened that understandably makes everything take longer. I feel like we were often down to only being 2-4 weeks behind depending on the show before everything happened.

22 hours ago, Blatch said:

My hope is that they're really close to getting a new show and are just doing this to buy time. We've had cases of that before. As for Blade Runner, I hope they don't end up screwing it over with moves like this. If they're going to air a marathon (or more DC shit; we're due for at least one more night of that this year) on November 27, they should at least do like Fena and have an episode air in front.

Yeah, this feels like them manipulating the schedule in order to lineup future scheduling or buying time until something else is ready that normally would have been.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess we'll probably see the same thing on November 27-28th? 🙄

December 4-5th might actually give the chance to throw on something else that requires 2 slots, like Demon Slayer season 2 if that's ready, since Food Wars Season 4 is ending. Otherwise I guess they COULD just run THREE episodes of Yashahime, but that's just silly!

New shows December 4-5th AND 11-12th? Probably not, but wouldn't be COMPLETELY unheard of!

13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I guess we'll probably see the same thing on November 27-28th? 🙄

December 4-5th might actually give the chance to throw on something else that requires 2 slots, like Demon Slayer season 2 if that's ready, since Food Wars Season 4 is ending. Otherwise I guess they COULD just run THREE episodes of Yashahime, but that's just silly!

New shows December 4-5th AND 11-12th? Probably not, but wouldn't be COMPLETELY unheard of!

The first episode of Demon Slayer season 2 is standard length. I believe the 7th one will be double length.

17 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Diebuster's not part of the Right Stuf deal? 

Damn.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I don't think they've brought it up or responded to anything about it yet so far, so I'm still hoping it will be something that gets announced after they release Gunbuster.

Edited by DangerMouse