UnevenEdge

batman movie night week 2 on 10/23 and fena marathon on 10/30

CountFrylock

6 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

this kind of decision doesn't inspire much confidence

in what? aside from yashahime likely finishing in january, shippuden is the only premiere on the block that's still gonna be there.

Edited by korosu
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, korosu said:

in what? aside from yashahime likely finishing in january, shippuden is the only premiere on the block that's still gonna be there.

in that they know what they are doing.....because putting the regular block on hiatus for three weeks is something that's never happened before

if you only care about the regular lineup then that means an entire month will go by without you watching toonami

Edited by CountFrylock

3 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

in that they know what they are doing.....because putting the regular block on hiatus for three weeks is something that's never happened before

if you only care about the regular lineup then that means an entire month will go by without you watching toonami

this doesn't matter, those shows are all ending very soon

3 minutes ago, korosu said:

this doesn't matter, those shows are all ending very soon

yeah they are but A Fena Marathon right after two weeks of batman movies really makes it seem like toonami has nothing lined up and they are desperately trying to buy time to find something

this is an example of a stalling tactic

Edited by CountFrylock

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

yeah they are but A Fena Marathon right after two weeks of batman movies really makes it seem like toonami has nothing lined up and they are desperately trying to buy time to find something

this is an example of a stalling tactic

a marathon on october 30th, the night before/morning of halloween, makes them seem desperate?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, korosu said:

a marathon on october 30th, the night before/morning of halloween, makes them seem desperate?

tell me why would they decide to put the regular lineup on pause for three weeks?

as i said before this is the first time this has ever happened....at the most we've had two weeks without the regular lineup

we haven't had a show marathon so far this year aside from the dc mandated Harley Quinn S1 marathon

skipping most chances they could have one this year....so the sudden inclusion of a halloween marathon shortly after two weeks of batman movies does seem odd

4 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

tell me why would they decide to put the regular lineup on pause for three weeks?

as i said before this is the first time this has ever happened....at the most we've had two weeks without the regular lineup

we haven't had a show marathon so far this year aside from the dc mandated Harley Quinn S1 marathon

skipping most chances they could have one this year....so the sudden inclusion of a halloween marathon shortly after two weeks of batman movies does seem odd

halloween marathons are not sudden because there's precedence. that was expected. we also knew dc fandome would impact the block in october. don't forget about daylight saving now.

1 minute ago, korosu said:

halloween marathons are not sudden because there's precedence. that was expected. we also knew dc fandome would impact the block in october. don't forget about daylight saving now.

it wasn't expected....because after the announcement of The DC Fandome Batman Stuff

nobody was thinking ah yeah there's probably a halloween marathon because normally you don't have three breaks to the regular lineup one right after another

this is the first time the regular lineup will be on break for an entire month....I'd be surprised if anyone was expecting the regular lineup to be gone that long

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

it wasn't expected....because after the announcement of The DC Fandome Batman Stuff

nobody was thinking ah yeah there's probably a halloween marathon because normally you don't have three breaks to the regular lineup one right after another

this is the first time the regular lineup will be on break for an entire month....I'd be surprised if anyone was expecting the regular lineup to be gone that long

"nobody was thinking ah yeah there's probably a halloween marathon because normally you don't have three breaks to the regular lineup one right after another"

huh? we just learned about week 2 of fandome

3 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

RIP Toonami, it'll be missed.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, korosu said:

"nobody was thinking ah yeah there's probably a halloween marathon because normally you don't have three breaks to the regular lineup one right after another"

huh? we just learned about week 2 of fandome

yeah we did and even before then....few were thinking a halloween marathon as even before week 2 of fandome this made no sense

it would be

10/16: batman movie night

10/23: regular lineup

10:30 Marathon

the block would return for 1 week and go on break again....with A DC Fandome event happening this month

i thought a halloween marathon wouldn't happen as it would make the hiatus on the regular lineup longer than it has ever been and logically make no sense unless toonami's just trying to stall for whatever new shows they are wanting to add to the block

halloween isn't christmas  nobody gets the day off for halloween and nobody goes traveling in droves to a family get together like they would for that or thanksgiving

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Batman Toonami is still Toonami.

WB Mandated Toonami though

if it wasn't for DC Fandome we wouldn't be getting those

no incentive for WB to give any DC Content to toonami unless it's to hype up hbo max or dc fandome

I'm not exactly a fan of toonami being turned into a gigantic advertisement bugging me to get HBO Max or tune into DC Fandome....long after it's already over(WB didn't exactly schedule this properly...)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

yeah we did and even before then....few were thinking a halloween marathon as even before week 2 of fandome this made no sense

it would be

10/16: batman movie night

10/23: regular lineup

10:30 Marathon

the block would return for 1 week and go on break again....with A DC Fandome event happening this month

i thought a halloween marathon wouldn't happen as it would make the hiatus on the regular lineup longer than it has ever been and logically make no sense unless toonami's just trying to stall for whatever new shows they are wanting to add to the block

halloween isn't christmas  nobody gets the day off for halloween and nobody goes traveling in droves to a family get together like they would for that or thanksgiving

Eh, I guess you're half-right. I expected we would get Batman Long Halloween eventually, but more likely the week before Halloween next year. I predicted a Fena marathon and some kind of "spooky" marathon. At least it's not Promised Neverland Season 2!

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

WB Mandated Toonami though

if it wasn't for DC Fandome we wouldn't be getting those

no incentive for WB to give any DC Content to toonami unless it's to hype up hbo max or dc fandome

I'm not exactly a fan of toonami being turned into a gigantic advertisement bugging me to get HBO Max or tune into DC Fandome....long after it's already over(WB didn't exactly schedule this properly...)

Do you have any idea how much DeMarco and Co. probably lusted after those Batman animated movies but couldn't get them, and now they CAN!?

That's really all that matters here, and who really cares if DC FanDome facilitated it!? I'm excited as hell about all these Batman movies!

Edited by OwlChemist81

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Do you have any idea how much DeMarco and Co. probably lusted after those Batman animated movies but couldn't get them, and now they CAN!?

That's really all that matters here, and who really cares if DC FanDome facilitated it!? I'm excited as hell about all these Batman movies!

Good For You...Me On The Other Hand I'll Just Pretend Toonami's on vacation until November 6th

I Like Batman but that doesn't mean I want the block to be dominated by it for 2 weeks followed by a marathon

that marathon makes me focus on the batman movie nights even more....and not in a good way

Yeah it’s kind of bonkers that WarnerMedia is letting them air two movies that came out in June and July if this year. The kind of bonkers I love to see.

Not surprising to see a Fena marathon on October 30th. It’s an original that has done well, so a marathon was all but assured.

So they can finish MHA on November 6th and either start a new show, double up something or rerun Fena at 2:30am after Shippuden, start Black Lotus on November 13th and then add another show the week after at 12:30am (and at this point I’m banking on Demon Slayer).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Three??

The fact that WB's handing Toonami extra Batman movies that are brand new and well-received is a good thing. It means somebody over there actually sees the block as a solid tool worth supporting. We want them to keep thinking we're a good investment and giving us special movie nights that bring in extra high ratings. Stop whining that the sky is falling again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

The fact that WB's handing Toonami extra Batman movies that are brand new and well-received is a good thing. It means somebody over there actually sees the block as a solid tool worth supporting. We want them to keep thinking we're a good investment and giving us special movie nights that bring in extra high ratings. Stop whining that the sky is falling again.

the block going on vacation for three weeks shouldn't be seen as a good thing

and as for those extra high ratings...once the dc content is gone those viewers that flock towards the dc content vanish

so i don't see how this helps toonami at all when it doesn't get anyone into watching the block regularly

it gets them to watch it only when WB Wants toonami to promote something with a dc comics event

if it doesn't bother you then that's cool

i understand some people find the current toonami lineup boring and worthless so it being gone for three weeks doesn't affect them at all

but i actually enjoy most of what toonami's been airing so excuse me for being irritated at this news

Edited by CountFrylock

I'm not familiar with these Batman movies (not that I'd be expected to), but I didn't know they were released just a few months ago. Pretty cool that Toonami is getting the chance to air something that new. And hey, at least Fena is still airing. That's all I've been caring for on the block lately, so I'm satisfied.

If they really want to satisfy CountFrylock, they could forego a Thanksgiving marathon/movie night and maybe not do one for December 18. Either way, I have a feeling they're going to plug in even more DC shit before the year's over.

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

the block going on vacation for three weeks shouldn't be seen as a good thing

and as for those extra high ratings...once the dc content is gone those viewers that flock towards the dc content vanish

so i don't see how this helps toonami at all when it doesn't get anyone into watching the block regularly

it gets them to watch it only when WB Wants toonami to promote something with a dc comics event

if it doesn't bother you then that's cool

i understand some people find the current toonami lineup boring and worthless so it being gone for three weeks doesn't affect them at all

but i actually enjoy most of what toonami's been airing so excuse me for being irritated at this news

This is exceptionally odd. They do plug the DC Fandome with DC-related stuff, .... but why the most popular DC superheroes specifically. The sea of vast action cartoons is incalcuable. Why just Batman or Superman? They probably weren't able to get sponsors for other events.

10 hours ago, elfie said:

This is exceptionally odd. They do plug the DC Fandome with DC-related stuff, .... but why the most popular DC superheroes specifically. The sea of vast action cartoons is incalcuable. Why just Batman or Superman? They probably weren't able to get sponsors for other events.

Toonami Isn't exactly a hot market to put content on when streaming services exist and it's time slot wouldn't seem like a good investment to most companies

also Warnermedia Owns Adultswim so that's another reason why we always get this stuff being promoted on toonami

if WB has something they need to advertise then they'll dump off some stuff for toonami to air and tell them to do it

Edited by CountFrylock

Who knows? Maybe these film nights are a test to see if it’s worth running a bunch of DC movies (and shows) on Toonami. I can’t think of a better way to expand Toonami into prime time in a way that would help it draw a crowd. And they’re willing to run these movies all the way till 4am so imagine a Toonami that caps off with a DC Film at 2am after the anime premieres. Sure beats reruns at 3am.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Who knows? Maybe these film nights are a test to see if it’s worth running a bunch of DC movies (and shows) on Toonami. I can’t think of a better way to expand Toonami into prime time in a way that would help it draw a crowd. And they’re willing to run these movies all the way till 4am so imagine a Toonami that caps off with a DC Film at 2am after the anime premieres. Sure beats reruns at 3am.

i think it's farfetched to believe it's a test...i know you want DC Content to be on every week but that's just not gonna happen

people need to accept the fact that this isn't the same toonami where you had a mixture of American Cartoons and Anime

It's Become An Anime Block and the only time when that isn't the case is when WB Needs toonami to advertise something

aside from those moments it's an anime focused block

as such trying to make changes that ignore what the block's become is more than a little silly

The DC Fans Couldn't care less about what else toonami has to offer...once that dc content is gone so are they

even if the DC Content was there weekly...They'd be Avoiding The Anime and that's a majority of what toonami will pick up  like it or not

Edited by CountFrylock

If DC movies will only air whenever WarnerMedia has something to promote, that also has its uses. I’d rather see movies every few months than every week to be honest. But there’s going to be enough DC stuff to promote that Toonami will probably settle into a trend of airing 6 or so DC movies a year usually with 2 back to back as they have been.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

If DC movies will only air whenever WarnerMedia has something to promote, that also has its uses. I’d rather see movies every few months than every week to be honest. But there’s going to be enough DC stuff to promote that Toonami will probably settle into a trend of airing 6 or so DC movies a year usually with 2 back to back as they have been.

I'm fine with that as long as the schedule isn't thrown into too much chaos over it....

this time though is different  I'm guessing so many shows ending so close together caused the toonami crew to frantically try and pierce together a plan

that's the only explanation that makes sense for putting the regular block on pause for a month....can't imagine they are having this much difficulty grabbing shows to fill those spots

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Sketch said:

I hope these movies do gangbusters for Toonami. Batman movies last year were some of the highest-rated programs of 2020, averaging over 500K.

I think RERUNNING these movies during plain ol' [as] after CN airs a Live Action DC movie at some point wouldn't be a bad move. Probably do better ratings than Naruto/AD/Rick. But if their content was objectionable enough to have to air at 12:30 AM, that might be a problem.

It should be noted that 10/23/21 will be the first time Toonami on [as] will have ever aired nothing but animation from the same calendar year from start to finish. Previously, the most it's ever had percentage-wise is 57%, 4 shows out of 7, from 2020: SAOAWOU2; Black Clover; Fire Force; and Gemusetto back in November.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm fine with that as long as the schedule isn't thrown into too much chaos over it....

this time though is different  I'm guessing so many shows ending so close together caused the toonami crew to frantically try and pierce together a plan

that's the only explanation that makes sense for putting the regular block on pause for a month....can't imagine they are having this much difficulty grabbing shows to fill those spots

The timing probably makes this look like scrambling but I very much doubt it is.

They had to promote DC Fandome and a marathon of Fena was practically a given. Maybe they could have ran the regular lineup on the 23rd but it’s arguably more sensible to not stick a regular lineup between two weeks of event programming.

After all, if Black Lotus had to wait till November 13th they had several issues for filling the midnight hour until then on top of starting the show that will replace Black Clover. We were racking our brains as to how they would do it without resorting to doubling up shows and possibly airing a rerun of Fena or MHA in the midnight slot on November 6th.

An extra night of Batman movies is both a nice treat that’s not the usual programming and a good way to fill the holes present till November. It makes for a smoother transition from now till mid-November.

I don’t think they need to be in a rush to start more shows. It’s better to do that cleanly than to start a new show in the midnight hour and then move it 1-2 weeks later for Black Lotus. That doesn’t do a new show or the regular viewers any favors.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that MHA Season 5 will conclude in the Midnight Hour on November 6th, but I don't think it's out of the question for a new show to debut that night either. Since [as] and maybe Toonami have an extra hour to play with, you couldn't use it better than to also debut Demon Slayer Season 2 that night at 1 AM, though the rest of the schedule admittedly would get a little silly after that:

1st 2AM - Yashahime #16

1st 2:30 - Food Wars! 4th Plate #9

2nd 2AM - Food Wars! 4th Plate #10

2nd 2:30 - Naruto Shippuden #361

3 AM - Dr. Stone #31

3:30 - Fena: Pirate Princess #1 (Bye, Super)

Then the following week, same schedule, but Yashahime moves back up to 1:30 and only one episode of Food Wars! (4th Plate #11) runs at 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

The timing probably makes this look like scrambling but I very much doubt it is.

They had to promote DC Fandome and a marathon of Fena was practically a given. Maybe they could have ran the regular lineup on the 23rd but it’s arguably more sensible to not stick a regular lineup between two weeks of event programming.

After all, if Black Lotus had to wait till November 13th they had several issues for filling the midnight hour until then on top of starting the show that will replace Black Clover. We were racking our brains as to how they would do it without resorting to doubling up shows and possibly airing a rerun of Fena or MHA in the midnight slot on November 6th.

An extra night of Batman movies is both a nice treat that’s not the usual programming and a good way to fill the holes present till November. It makes for a smoother transition from now till mid-November.

I don’t think they need to be in a rush to start more shows. It’s better to do that cleanly than to start a new show in the midnight hour and then move it 1-2 weeks later for Black Lotus. That doesn’t do a new show or the regular viewers any favors.

it's a nice treat if someone likes batman but if not then It's hard to get someone to give a damn about two weeks of Batman movies they wouldn't care about no matter if they were on tv or a streaming service

Edited by CountFrylock

15 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

it's a nice treat if someone likes batman but if not then It's hard to get someone to give a damn about two weeks of Batman movies they wouldn't care about no matter if they were on tv or a streaming service

That's true of literally anything else Toonami could possibly air including the current regular line-up.

Toonami isn't just for one kind of viewer. It's good when they are able to branch out a bit and air other action animation than their usual. The usual will always be back because it's largely what they have relied on for the past 9 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That's true of literally anything else Toonami could possibly air including the current regular line-up.

Toonami isn't just for one kind of viewer. It's good when they are able to branch out a bit and air other action animation than their usual. The usual will always be back because it's largely what they have relied on for the past 9 years.

Yes But three weeks is enough time to break a person's viewing habit if they simply aren't interested in that.....things change and with streaming services there's always the option to leave toonami behind completely

if someone isn't patient enough they can just stream those shows and say "To Hell with waiting a month for this"

its not like in the old days where if something like this happened  You'd have to suck it up and wait for the regular block to return

all it takes is for someone's impatience to become too much to handle resulting in them jumping on board streaming  and suddenly toonami becomes irrelevant to them

Edited by CountFrylock

Sure, you can always lose impatient viewers by putting a show on a 3 week break but I'm pretty confident that most Toonami viewers who are STILL watching have plenty of patience.

But 3 weeks off is habit breaking? Really? That's a very short hiatus for a television program in the US. It's not like they regularly take 3 weeks off in a row and they tend to only take of 7 or less a year total. Any other TV show in the US should be so lucky.

You'll be back after 3 weeks so chances are people who dislike this will also be back.

As I said, Toonami viewers are already pretty dang patient. If not, then they would be watching everything they care about except Fena's dub on FUNimation or Crunchyroll and not bothering with Toonami.

You can't really argue against the practicality of waiting till November to start whatever shows they have coming. Nor the practicality of fixing their schedule dilemma the one hour premiere of Black Lotus creates by running two more Batman movies on the 23rd and a marathon on the 30th.

Now they can just run both of the remaining episodes of MHA to fill the midnight hour on November 6th and have a clean break from that into Blade Runner rather than cause additional confusion by displacing a currently airing show when Black Lotus premieres.

I think they saw how that didn't pan out so well with the Fena premiere pushing MHA and everything else a bit later that night only for it to snap back to the usual time slots a week later. We saw how that hurt the rest of the line-up and so did they. It's arguably in their best interest to avoid that situation happening again and they can easily do so by holding off on replacing MHA until November 20th.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Sure, you can always lose impatient viewers by putting a show on a 3 week break but I'm pretty confident that most Toonami viewers who are STILL watching have plenty of patience.

But 3 weeks off is habit breaking? Really? That's a very short hiatus for a television program in the US. It's not like they regularly take 3 weeks off in a row and they tend to only take of 7 or less a year total. Any other TV show in the US should be so lucky.

You'll be back after 3 weeks so chances are people who dislike this will also be back.

As I said, Toonami viewers are already pretty dang patient. If not, then they would be watching everything they care about except Fena's dub on FUNimation or Crunchyroll and not bothering with Toonami.

You can't really argue against the practicality of waiting till November to start whatever shows they have coming. Nor the practicality of fixing their schedule dilemma the one hour premiere of Black Lotus creates by running two more Batman movies on the 23rd and a marathon on the 30th.

Now they can just run both of the remaining episodes of MHA to fill the midnight hour on November 6th and have a clean break from that into Blade Runner rather than cause additional confusion by displacing a currently airing show when Black Lotus premieres.

I think they saw how that didn't pan out so well with the Fena premiere pushing MHA and everything else a bit later that night only for it to snap back to the usual time slots a week later. We saw how that hurt the rest of the line-up and so did they. It's arguably in their best interest to avoid that situation happening again and they can easily do so by holding off on replacing MHA until November 20th.

I Just Hope Whatever they have planned for November is Amazing because Blade Runner by itself is a bit too obscure to be the only notable show for that month

although nobody can really come up with much else...theory wise except for perhaps the second half of Assassination Classroom

Edited by CountFrylock

I would think a quick-turn around for Demon Slayer season 2 would be a pretty big deal (and trust me it's possible that's happening in November) but beyond that there's not many big shows out there that they could air and that's fine because lesser known shows are a welcome change of pace from Toonami chasing after every Shonen Jump series they can get.

Isn't it more exciting that it's harder to predict what they're going to do? We've gone so many years when Toonami almost exclusively picked up sequel seasons and shows from established franchises and rarely dug deeper. Now they have a good opportunity to flex their creative muscle the way they had to when they first got rolling in 2012 and 2013. I look forward to seeing how they can surprise us in the coming months and years.

• Like 1

i guess as much as i hate to admit it...Toonami probably does need  less anime and more DC Content to stay afloat

the average american couldn't give a damn about whatever anime Toonami scoops up(be it obscure or super popular)

but mention batman and they will be drawn to the block like a moth to a flame

• D'oh 2

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

i guess as much as i hate to admit it...Toonami probably does need  less anime and more DC Content to stay afloat

the average american couldn't give a damn about whatever anime Toonami scoops up(be it obscure or super popular)

but mention batman and they will be drawn to the block like a moth to a flame

Yeah, Beware the Batman did so well…

Maybe they should split the difference and just air Peacemaker -