UnevenEdge

Harley Quinn Marathon set for August 7th

I was wondering what was the reasoning until I remembered The Suicide Squad comes out that weekend.  Given that HBO Max Subscriptions (and to a lesser extent film tickets) are Priority #1 for Warner Media no matter who owns the debt that week, it makes sense.

• D'oh 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I was wondering what was the reasoning until I remembered The Suicide Squad comes out that weekend.  Given that HBO Max Subscriptions (and to a lesser extent film tickets) are Priority #1 for Warner Media no matter who owns the debt that week, it makes sense.

OH for fuck's sake.

Yes I *AM* expecting you to chastise me like I'm a 1-year-old. I don't fuckin care.

Edited by elfie
  • D'oh 2

Well that's an interesting development.

Acceptable shilling for Suicide Squad. At first I was like "but why do a marathon that night?" then I was like "oh right, that movie comes out then"

That all but assures that Food Wars is taking a break.

Clover gets a few weeks off to help FUNi build up a bigger buffer and MHA doesn't skip a week and fall further behind FUNi, so that all works out nicely.

Hopefully we got good stuff coming on August 14th for a possible double premiere but a marathon of block premieres is a nice change of pace. I've only seen 3 episodes of Harley Quinn so most of that is new to me.

It's sure to be censored for f-bombs but I think the rest of the language is allowed on Adult Swim and the violence should be fine.

Strong possibility for Fena on August 14th and as for the other show it probably a sequel or spin-off of something that's already aired. I'm leaning toward AssClass but maybe it's Megalobox. Seems too soon for Dynazenon if that's even on their radar. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's something much less expected like Vinland Saga or Akudama Drive or something. Oh and there's always the possibility of Mob season 2 or Jujutsu Kaisen if they can work out deals for those now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • D'oh 1

25 minutes ago, elfie said:

This is the first time the Harley Quinn series airs on cable, so that outta surprise a lot of viewers.

It isn't actually. They ran a handful of episodes on TBS one night (to a collective, why the fuck isn't this on Adult Swim?) and Syfy ran the entire first season (but not the 2nd, that's exclusive to HBO Max currently). TBS censored it for language (to be expected) but Syfy actually ran it uncensored, the gave all the fucks. With adequate promotion this will surely do better on Toonami than it did on TBS, much less Syfy but Syfy still one-ups Adult Swim by airing it with all the fucks. Adult Swim still isn't allowed uncensored fucks and probably never will because it shares space with Cartoon Network.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It isn't actually. They ran a handful of episodes on TBS one night (to a collective, why the fuck isn't this on Adult Swim?) and Syfy ran the entire first season (but not the 2nd, that's exclusive to HBO Max currently). TBS censored it for language (to be expected) but Syfy actually ran it uncensored, the gave all the fucks. With adequate promotion this will surely do better on Toonami than it did on TBS, much less Syfy but Syfy still one-ups Adult Swim by airing it with all the fucks. Adult Swim still isn't allowed uncensored fucks and probably never will because it shares space with Cartoon Network.

Odd. They marketed it like it was a streaming-exclusive thing.

I wonder if this will actually be the Adult Swim premiere of Harley Quinn or if they'll maybe toss it on weeknights shortly before this. I suppose that might make the Toonami marathon kind of pointless but I'm at least a little surprised that this would have it's network premiere on Toonami rather than on Sunday or weeknights on Adult Swim.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 10:23 PM, Sketch said:

Well that's an interesting development.

Acceptable shilling for Suicide Squad. At first I was like "but why do a marathon that night?" then I was like "oh right, that movie comes out then"

That all but assures that Food Wars is taking a break.

Clover gets a few weeks off to help FUNi build up a bigger buffer and MHA doesn't skip a week and fall further behind FUNi, so that all works out nicely.

Hopefully we got good stuff coming on August 14th for a possible double premiere but a marathon of block premieres is a nice change of pace. I've only seen 3 episodes of Harley Quinn so most of that is new to me.

It's sure to be censored for f-bombs but I think the rest of the language is allowed on Adult Swim and the violence should be fine.

Strong possibility for Fena on August 14th and as for the other show it probably a sequel or spin-off of something that's already aired. I'm leaning toward AssClass but maybe it's Megalobox. Seems too soon for Dynazenon if that's even on their radar. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's something much less expected like Vinland Saga or Akudama Drive or something. Oh and there's always the possibility of Mob season 2 or Jujutsu Kaisen if they can work out deals for those now.

So that is the method for all this madness?

And I had no idea there was a Harley Quinn series.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:56 PM, Sketch said:

Actually, there were some uncensored "fucks" in a very few shows on [as], but they are RARE! There was one in the first season of Gemusetto Macchu Picchu in like Episode 5 or something. Since that premiered as an all-night April Fool's Day marathon, it aired at like 5 in the morning, but reruns happened as early as 1 AM.

So, what would be interesting is if the Harley Quinn marathon started out censored, but then got uncensored later in the night. Toonami won't give any "fucks" at 10:30 PM, but it might after midnight...

Edited by OwlChemist81

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 9:06 PM, OwlChemist81 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Christmas in July!

Harley Quinn is an interesting bird; if [as] is thinking more than just a one-shot, she might be more at home on Sunday nights with the likes of Tuca and Bertie and Birdgirl than on Toonami.

But why not both???

honestly the more i think about it.....the more Harley Quinn just seems odd on toonami

It's not really what I'd Call An "Action" Series despite the DC Branding on it

it's a comedy series with some action thrown in

it isn't about fight scenes and action as much as it is about the jokes and comedic scenario's

so I Don't really think it needs to be on toonami

Edited by CountFrylock

DC and Toonami have always had a strong relationship and Quinn isn’t a low effort bean mouth production.  It’s comedic but it has enough action to qualify as an action/comedy.

Also remember, this block aired Pop Team Epic.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

DC and Toonami have always had a strong relationship and Quinn isn’t a low effort bean mouth production.  It’s comedic but it has enough action to qualify as an action/comedy.

Also remember, this block aired Pop Team Epic.

I Remember Pop Team Epic and didn't really enjoy that one....seemed like a strange experimental choice for the block

I'm just Saying Harley Quinn's Main Purpose is to be a comedy series....if it aired on the regular block it would feel wildly out of place with it's tone feeling more like something You'd see paired up with rick and morty

but eh not like it matters...this is only happening so they can beg people to pay $14.99 a month for hbo max

Edited by CountFrylock

2 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Only watched a couple of them last night, but I did hear an uncensored fuck somewhere.

Someone fell asleep in the censorship department (tho to be fair it's like trying to bleep all of Scarface with a week's notice).

It's just a word.

Let's free fuck.

someone apparently didn't remember the season finale....which screwed up the entire marathon and had it end by replaying episode 4

WB only gave toonami the rights to air harley quinn for one night so that screw up was pretty big especially for those who had The Marathan Set To DVR

2 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It forces people to go onto HBO Max to finish it.

It's genius thru incompetence.

or they can just buy it on dvd....HBO Max is one of the more expensive streaming services

so i see some just using a free trial for this maybe...and then not renewing it at the end

because $14.99 a month isn't great for a streaming service

27 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

or they can just buy it on dvd....HBO Max is one of the more expensive streaming services

so i see some just using a free trial for this maybe...and then not renewing it at the end

because $14.99 a month isn't great for a streaming service

It is expensive.

But they also have almost all of the Criterion Collection so...

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

A month’s subscription is cheaper than tickets for those movies at the theater.

It Adds up over time and that's an important factor here

HBO Max isn't at the point where it's the king of streaming and can be justified as the sole service for somebody

especially if you are an anime fan