UnevenEdge

Will DBZ Always Be the anime of choice for americans?

i swear it feels like DBZ's been on top for decades....nothing can stand up to it and it's practically the only anime you can mention in a discussion online  and always get responses about it from someone anyone

it's like The Family Guy Or The Simpsons of Anime Everyone On Earth has seen it...it seems and everyone watches it it feels like.....anytime new DBZ related comes out you see people literally shitting their pants over it  and rocketing through the roof

never seen that response for any other anime in the states

DBZ was mega popular back in the day, and its a nostalgic show for a lot of people.  It helps that the show itself isn't really too "Japanese", for lack of a better word.  For this generation, DBZ will always be the most popular anime.

it also heps it has lots of explosions and action...something that americans require to care about any show

American's love nostalgia, it was one of the first big animes to ever hit decent ratings on American TV. It is basically the quintessential anime that most people that think of anime in the US associate with the genre (that and pokemon or sailor moon). That is because most Americans simply don't watch or like most animes. I know plenty of people like this, they watched dbz or like inuyasha or naruto and that is it. They never watched anything else, nor do they care to, because it's just no their thing.

So to answer your question more simply, yes probably unless general attitudes and conceptions of the media form change drastically.

DBZ, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon will always have the distinction of being the most successful shows during America's big anime phase in the 90's. You'll always have shows that get massive here, but I think the closest to them would probably be Naruto given that it's been on long enough for casuals to bring up the moment Rock Lee dropped his weights without looking weeby or be mentioned in a regular conversation in the movie Attack the Block.

Personally, I think Pokemon is the biggest of the shows I've listed, but DBZ is way too big and iconic to be surpassed by alot of shows after it unless Attack on Titan, One Punch Man, Tokyo Ghoul or JoJo end up having dozens of seasons that Americans would watch religiously.