UnevenEdge

High Guardian Spice resurfaces after nearly two years of silence

The1gairon

• 2 months later...

The animation is alright, but the color palette really doesn’t work with the character designs ripped straight out of a “How to Draw Anime” book. Wakfu’s looked similar, but the earth tones were a good workaround for its tackiness. 

Honestly, it would’ve worked better with more stereotypical CalArts designs than have the artists force a square peg into a round hole by making it look “anime”. 

• Like 1

I will never understand why people give a single shit about this show either way. If it's good, then fine, if it sucks, then oh well. It looks much worse when it's a bunch of 30-year-old weebs pitching a fit over a show made for 12-year-old girls.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...

It exists.

Well great.  That’s literally the sum total of what Crunchyroll will say (that and an inexplicable mature content warning, and don’t say it’s because they have transsexual characters, Zombieland Saga has the trans girl and has no such disclaimer).  It exists.

It’s not getting a mural next to Madison Square Garden, that’s for sure.  Knicks fans were greeted with this when the season started if they leave on 31st street.

10A9B028-5286-429F-8848-E3732FAA22F0.jpeg

Can we talk about something that's been bugging me a bit?  Not the show itself, the horse is pretty much glue, but the feeling that a lot of writers writing shows for young adults write them as kids shows?  That's how you end up with kids shows where no kids watch like The Owl House (which is cancelled) or this mess which is essentially a kids show with some blood and gore added in (and no network censoring the word transgender).  Is it just me or does that feel really...immature?  If you're a kids show, shouldn't you be targeting kids?  If you're for an older audience shouldn't the writing reflect that?

I'm spitballing here but this show was dumpster fire from Day 1 and now sits at a 1.5/5 rating.  In contrast, EX-Arm sits at 1.7/5, Onyx Equinox despite its poor view count has a 4/5, and The Rising of the Shield Hero has a 4.8/5.  

Do you genuinely think the vast majority of the people who gave it that rating watched a single minute of it?

I mean it may be fine or it may be shit but a fucking star rating is the last place on the planet that you're going to get a fair assessment of it.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 1

I've seen clips and read reviews, supposedly it actually has a few redeeming qualities.

The artwork and voice acting is just bad though. There's a surprising amount of gore, and it just doesn't fit with the art style. The ham fisted in your face "wokeness" pushing the "message" was never going to go over well with many anime fans so there's a lot of people that are going to review bomb this without giving it a watch.

But yeah, you can have little girls fighting without having it look like crap.

On 11/8/2021 at 3:59 AM, Chapinator_X said:

I’ve only seen this show through clips, but Slime Boy and his shitty iPhone mic are currently my favorite fictional characters this week:

He has apparently become a fan favorite for his terrible performance. 

Supposedly he's a musician who has never voice acted before.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Sort of a microcosm of everything wrong with the productions.  Amateurs with no leg to stand on getting to tell a story.

11 hours ago, Daos said:

Most of the main cast are either first time VA’s or affordable VAs with much smaller credits. 

Oh they do have actual VA’s too, but they made the crazy decision of having Cam Clarke, Barbara Goodson, Stephanie Sheh, and AJ Beckles shoved into smaller roles. 

Funny enough, Slime Boy’s VA is the bassist (among several other instruments, especially the musical saw) for Neutral Milk Hotel.

Pretty sure they got him in for a scene where the character plays a musical saw, but it’s pretty random to pull a 90’s indie musician aside to do voices for a Crunchyroll cartoon. 

It’s also what gave me Neo Yokio vibes from this show, but at least from that, the show was more interested in making fun of contemporary yuppies than live under the shadows of all their favorite anime. 

• Like 1