UnevenEdge

Shelly's Wet Files Vol 1

Poof

This a thread where I document all the documentaries on aquatic life that I watch before I go to sleep. They're my fav kind of nature doc. And in the spirit of knowing more about each other I'm using my first name instead of poof. Plus sometimes it creeps me out when you guys call me Poof off board like in texts or on other social media. Especially if we've been talking off board for a long time and you never call me by my first name not even once. 

I watched this one yesterday night. It's amazing. Did you know that the shrimpy things at the very lowest depths of the sea eat mainly sunken driftwood? Well they do and it's bc deep sea food chains foundation is basically scraps and bits of dead fishes that sink down from upper levels. There's no sun below 1000 meters so their food chains can't be supported by phytoplankton.

And at the very very bottom, most of the scraps have already been eaten. But wood is very difficult to digest so the organisms don't eat it and it makes it all the way to the lowest depths where it supports the entire foodchain below 10,000 meters. They're specially adapted to digest it since it's like the only thing that makes it.

That is amazing to me. Like the creatures at the very bottomest of the sea eat trees. 10,000 meters down and they eat something that grows on land.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

Did you watch the one about octopus that showed them starting to teach the young in the Mediterranean? That was wild.

I didn't. Octopus are OK. Dolphin and killer whales are OK. They're all very smart creatures so there's lots of docs on them. I feel they're overplayed. Netflix was the worst offender. Idk if it's still like that but I swear like every aquatic doc on there was porpoises. Octopi are better than porpoise tho. I will watch it

1 minute ago, Poof said:

I didn't. Octopus are OK. Dolphin and killer whales are OK. They're all very smart creatures so there's lots of docs on them. I feel they're overplayed. Netflix was the worst offender. Idk if it's still like that but I swear like every aquatic doc on there was porpoises. Octopi are better than porpoise tho. I will watch it

Was trying to figure out which one it is, there's a lot. Probably all worth watching though, actually sounds like fun. Cephalopods rule.

I do not remember what it was but when I was litte we went on a field trip one time and we saw an underwater life documentary filmed for 3D so lijke there wa a sea-snake that jumped at the camera  and some sharks I think I was not the only one traumatized by that thanks nature documentarians.

Buddy is a big fish fan, especially the shotgun shrimp.

I mean, it is hard to call people by their real names once youre used to using it.  I still call Disco Disco on FB.....

Hell, I fucked around and used Pooh's SN on FB and my stalker ex was like "Oh, so who's (pooh's real name)"

Me: Just some chick off the internet, we play games together (which is kind of a lie but easier than explaining this place)

Ex: So you just call some random girl Pooh?

Me: Yeah, that's the name she uses...its like 1poo4u or some shit.

Ex: You must really think I'm dumb.

Me: Smmfh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

Buddy is a big fish fan, especially the shotgun shrimp.

I mean, it is hard to call people by their real names once youre used to using it.  I still call Disco Disco on FB.....

Hell, I fucked around and used Pooh's SN on FB and my stalker ex was like "Oh, so who's (pooh's real name)"

Me: Just some chick off the internet, we play games together (which is kind of a lie but easier than explaining this place)

Ex: So you just call some random girl Pooh?

Me: Yeah, that's the name she uses...its like 1poo4u or some shit.

Ex: You must really think I'm dumb.

Me: Smmfh

Man, I've spent way too much time explaining my weird relationships with you people.... Disco sending me toys hand made.... wedding registry was a trip....

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Seight said:

I find if I don't talk about what I do online I don't have to explain it

Kayode Ewumi reflects on being THAT meme

This is an excellent plan.....But most shit you'll have to explain to women, is shit that you had no intention on even mentioning or even thinking about again.

They have timestamps, pics, a comprehensive list of other people who were online at the time....Lying is usually faster, but often problematic because women like to have refresher fights later to make sure your story checks out...So if you're going to lie...Archive it in it's original form.

This next one I watched to be contrarian since the last one was about the deepest life in the ocean. This one is all about the highest aquatic life on the planet. Did you know the highest lake in the world is 20,965 feet above sea level? A lot of the lakes covered here are over 7,500 feet above sea level. This doc is somewhat amphibious since there is some coverage of land creatures. Some of which interact with the water like this songbird which is the only one of its kind to dive underwater to catch its prey. Like a seagull.

There's a lot of fish and amphibian sex in this one. Very graphic and so much that it's almost awkward. Like they liked filming it too much.

Highlights include a marmot fight, a poisonous blood lake, a really pretty castle, and the proteus which is the trippiest little creature because it's like an eel w/tiny little arms and legs. Sometimes also known as the olm or the human fish.

03-human-fish.gif

This one was okay. Here's the thing. My favorite documentaries don't use up time to show or talk about the human explorers/scientists unless something super unusual happens to them during filming. This is a doc where it's like 50/50 the biology / the biologists. There's a lot of process. There's almost always the divers/scientists in the shots. It is interesting to learn about the diving and how the research trips are conducted and funded (by letting tourist divers hitch a ride for a fee,) but my favorite documentaries focus entirely on the animals and avoid showing humans as much as possible. If you like seeing the humans study the animals, this one is good for you.

Aside from that, this one has to do with large rock formations in the ocean and how that forces the ocean currents to bring plankton up and concentrate them which attracts a lot of life. The rock features also provide homes to coral and shelter for sea creatures. The plankton attracts lots of filter feeders like whale sharks and giant manta rays, so they are featured heavily. There's also a lot on schools of fish, their behavior, and the predators that hunt them. Some porpoise activity as well.

There is also a short sequence where a submersible explores the deeper water around one of these formations. Mainly between 200-500 meters. They find a Prickly Shark which is a kind of deepwater shark that's rarely ever been filmed.

Another amphibious doc. The Everglades. It doesn't know if it's a river, a swamp, a prairie, or some other shit. This is a departure from the previous documentaries featured in my Wet Files™ because the guy who narrates this one definitely does action movie trailers which makes sense because Florida. This documentary really feels very Florida somehow. Like of course it does because it's all in Florida, but there's something else Floridian about it too. Something intangible.

I learned that alligators excavate their own little pools in the everglades. I don't know if they do that elsewhere or if it's just an everglades thing. I'm still learning more about alligators and crocodiles even now after watching them so much already. Anyway, they make these pools to lure in big fish because the everglades can be really shallow, and a deep pool is tempting for them so they aggregate there. It also helps the gator stay hydrated when it gets dry which apparently the everglades do.

It's not all alligators. This doc was fairly light on alligators considering it's the everglades. Also featured are the declining raccoons, small swimming deer, egrets, fishes, sharks, horsehoe crabs, invasive pythons, non-horseshoe crabs, and weirdo turtles.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Why does this keep happening to me?

I'll randomly come across some nature doc that catches my eye while, at the same time, eating the thing that i'm watching be happy and free and....alive '>.>

I once buried some venison in my backyard. It felt weird giving a funeral speech without naming it, so I called it Gary.

...I'm eating this fish though. I'm starving '>.>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mix said:

Why does this keep happening to me?

I'll randomly come across some nature doc that catches my eye while, at the same time, eating the thing that i'm watching be happy and free and....alive '>.>

I once buried some venison in my backyard. It felt weird giving a funeral speech without naming it, so I called it Gary.

...I'm eating this fish though. I'm starving '>.>

ikr

I had to throw out some human after I turned on some anthropology flick 

what a waste