UnevenEdge

DC Animated movies to play on toonami december 19th

CountFrylock

1 hour ago, Jman said:

We should be so lucky to get New Frontier instead of Death Beats.

if it was just death beats sure but it's the entire lineup being replaced to act as one big advertisement for HBO Max

i don't like these marathons/events where HBO Max has to be hyped up like it's the best thing ever

it reeks of desperation

27 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I'm all for more DC movies on Toonami and that Wonder Woman one is pretty new even.

If we get good movies on Toonami for our trouble then they can shill HBO Max more for all I care. I already have the dang subscription though, I have since the launch in May.

I Wouldn't go defending moves that only happened because toonami had no say in the matter and just had to praise hbo max on air because AT&T said so

if AT&T Can just hijack the block at any moment to say "Hey Guys I Know you already had a planned schedule in mind but I'm gonna need you to do a hbo max promotional event"

then whose to say 2021 won't be crammed full of moments like this with how much debt AT&T Put themselves in?

• Sad 1

Or, HBO offered the movies for free or super cheap as an optional holiday promotion, and Toonami wasn't going to turn it down because some random weebs on a site they don't even know about might get their panties in a twist over it. Wonder Woman's a super popular IP right now; the first movie made over 800 million dollars and the sequel comes out at Christmas. Getting some related movies for free that appeal to a larger audience than just their usual group of depressed millennial nerds, which also buys them an extra week of episodes for the shows they currently have in case securing new ones is still difficult next year, is a win/win for the block.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Wouldn't go defending moves that only happened because toonami had no say in the matter and just had to praise hbo max on air because AT&T said so

if AT&T Can just hijack the block at any moment to say "Hey Guys I Know you already had a planned schedule in mind but I'm gonna need you to do a hbo max promotional event"

then whose to say 2021 won't be crammed full of moments like this with how much debt AT&T Put themselves in?

If it's not reruns, then bring it on. It might be the only way we get to see a lot more American action animation on Toonami. Besides, AT&T probably isn't going to be giving Toonami a tremendous acquisitions budget for 2021 (hopefully more than 2020 at least) so stretching material and getting more free movies would help keep things from getting stale.

Edited by Sketch

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

Or, HBO offered the movies for free or super cheap as an optional holiday promotion, and Toonami wasn't going to turn it down because some random weebs on a site they don't even know about might get their panties in a twist over it. Wonder Woman's a super popular IP right now; the first movie made over 800 million dollars and the sequel comes out at Christmas. Getting some related movies for free that appeal to a larger audience than just their usual group of depressed millennial nerds, which also buys them an extra week of episodes for the shows they currently have in case securing new ones is still difficult next year, is a win/win for the block.

I Doubt AT&T Gave them the choice to decline....Optional means they had the choice to say no and with AT&T in the state they are in...that doesn't seem all that likely

Edited by CountFrylock

20 minutes ago, Sketch said:

If it's not reruns, then bring it on. It might be the only way we get to see a lot more American action animation on Toonami. Besides, AT&T probably isn't going to be giving Toonami a tremendous acquisitions budget for 2021 (hopefully more than 2020 at least) so stretching material and getting more free movies would help keep things from getting stale.

if it's at the expense of toonami becoming nothing more than a commercial for hbo max then I'd rather not have any of this

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

if it's at the expense of toonami becoming nothing more than a commercial for hbo max then I'd rather not have any of this

That's certainly an exaggeration. I know you don't like disruptions of your shows but this really isn't something to fret about.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

That's certainly an exaggeration. I know you don't like disruptions of your shows but this really isn't something to fret about.

i would agree if this year wasn't covid-19 riddled but because it was

AT&T isn't acting like they would if this was just a normal year....the way they've marketed hbo max is proof of that

and unless 2021 is a major improvement over 2020  i don't really see them changing the desperation tune

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i would agree if this year wasn't covid-19 riddled but because it was

AT&T isn't acting like they would if this was just a normal year....the way they've marketed hbo max is proof of that

and unless 2021 is a major improvement over 2020  i don't really see them changing the desperation tune

Toonami would never have done these HBO MAX deals if the pandemic never happened. DeMarco said in the Spring to expect a ton more reruns and marathons.

AT&T is trying everything they can to get subscribers for HBO Max before people are no longer stuck at home. They’re sacrificing blockbuster film revenue and pissing off basically the whole film industry to get people to buy into HBO Max immediately. They are throwing away probably half a billion dollars by putting WW84,  Matrix 4 and those other films on their own service rather than waiting for theaters to be safe again or at least selling the rights to Netflix. I think if WW84 doesn’t get them a few million more subscribers then they’re gonna have to seriously rethink their strategy.

Sounds good to me. I should parlay this into actually watching much of Toonami live again and even tweeting while it's on. Haven't done that in what feels like years.

On the other hand, I actually feel bad for whoever's watching Gemusetto. Your finale got shunted off to a Sunday night for the new (old) DC hotness. I mean, I wasn't watching it, but I felt it was nice to have some unbridled variety on the block.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

AT&T is trying everything they can to get subscribers for HBO Max before people are no longer stuck at home. They’re sacrificing blockbuster film revenue and pissing off basically the whole film industry to get people to buy into HBO Max immediately. They are throwing away probably half a billion dollars by putting WW84,  Matrix 4 and those other films on their own service rather than waiting for theaters to be safe again or at least selling the rights to Netflix. I think if WW84 doesn’t get them a few million more subscribers then they’re gonna have to seriously rethink their strategy.

it's not like covid-19's gonna magically disappear as soon as it's 2021 and even when the vaccine hits it''s unlikely large gatherings would suddenly make a return

so the thought that it won't be long before people are out and about in groups again is quite silly especially since we still have a lot of people who ignore safety guidelines and think they shouldn't have to obey them

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's not like covid-19's gonna magically disappear as soon as it's 2021 and even when the vaccine hits it''s unlikely large gatherings would suddenly make a return

so the thought that it won't be long before people are out and about in groups again is quite silly especially since we still have a lot of people who ignore safety guidelines and think they shouldn't have to obey them

I didn't mean to imply that AT&T thinks the pandemic will be over early in 2021 but right now there's a captive audience that's isn't even interested in subscribing and they're doing whatever they can to change their minds.

On 12/12/2020 at 12:02 AM, EmpressAngel said:

DON'T YOU DARE TALK LOGIC HERE!

So what it’s being done to promote blockbuster films and an app that is probably Warner’s only way to profit until then?  It makes money.  Which DC is usually pretty good at.

Try having Asta or Kirito sell Diet Coke like Alfred and Batman do.

Edited by Jman

On 12/13/2020 at 11:12 PM, CountFrylock said:

How is it logical to say AT&T Offered these movies as an option they could decline?

How is it not?  While AT&T is pushing HBO Max, it's a pretty big leap to assume they forced these on Toonami and said "you have no choice."  They probably offered it last minute and Toonami took them up on it.  Until any evidence contrary comes out that's the most logical scenario. 

Toonami hasn't had the most stable of schedules anyway.  Remember the entire back half of 2014?  I don't think there was a stable schedule for more than two weeks.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 10:57 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

How is it not?  While AT&T is pushing HBO Max, it's a pretty big leap to assume they forced these on Toonami and said "you have no choice."  They probably offered it last minute and Toonami took them up on it.  Until any evidence contrary comes out that's the most logical scenario. 

Toonami hasn't had the most stable of schedules anyway.  Remember the entire back half of 2014?  I don't think there was a stable schedule for more than two weeks.

because not one thing on the block  demanded another break like this on top of the bebop marathon

everything except Fire Force(2)is a completed dub on the line up and the second season is up to EP15

that's 10 episodes ahead of the last episode toonami aired and since funimation will probably slow down on remote dubbing   due to the holidays

I Doubt fire force is gonna dub several more while the block's on hiatus(EP15 came out this month on funimation now)

with that in mind....what does toonami really gain from a potential 3 week break?

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

because not one thing on the block  demanded another break like this on top of the bebop marathon

everything except Fire Force(2)is a completed dub on the line up and the second season is up to EP15

that's 10 episodes ahead of the last episode toonami aired and since funimation will probably slow down on remote dubbing   due to the holidays

I Doubt fire force is gonna dub several more while the block's on hiatus(EP15 came out this month on funimation now)

with that in mind....what does toonami really gain from a potential 3 week break?

I don't think their goal is to gain anything, really, other than to just change the block up for a bit.  Toonami always airs a marathon around Christmas, and unless I'm mistaken, there's been a demand to see both western animation (due to the lack thereof) and movies (due to dislike of marathons) on Toonami.  I think DeMarco and co. have made it clear that they'll make at least SOME programming decisions based on fan favorites or fan demand (Outlaw Star comes to mind), so it was probably made with that in mind.

• Like 1