UnevenEdge

How Would You All Feel If It Turns Out Toonami Moves Elsewhere?

The1gairon

Possibility of Toonami Leaving Adult Swim  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How would you all feel if Toonami exits Adult Swim? Like, not even on Cartoon Network?

• I would be fine with it.
    • I wouldn't be fine with it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/20/20 at 07:12 PM

It seems like Warner Media is shuffling who owns what in all their acquisitions at least once a year. Neo Toonami has not been doing nearly as well as it did at its peak in 2015. More and more customers are ditching cable every year. And now in the pandemic, there's less new acquisitions for the Toonami team to air, leading to the block shrinking to a shorter runtime, and filling half of it with reruns, or dedicating whole evenings to special events. There doesn't exactly seem to be a reason why it's still on cable once a week at the wee hours of the morning anymore. So I postulated this theory...

I don't really get what the point would be to move it to a different channel. They would just cancel the block before selling it off to another network. CNN midnight news is the only rival that toonami really has, and it's a sister company. Warner would start up a streaming service that has a weekly live stream before they would try and start a new TV channel for Toonami. 

I think what you were more getting at is that Toonami itself is constrained a lot by its content. I think we brought this up a couple of weeks ago; about how some anime would be good for old toonami but not new toonami. Then there were other shows like Fairy Tail that are just in this weird limbo that makes them too adolescent to be in a mature block, but too fanservice heavy to be in an adolescent block in america.  

I think there's also just problems with show schedules, as in just the lineup order. When DBS was new they moved the block to start earlier. It never really seems to come up in terms of cause and effect at toonami, but shows being shown earlier is better. More people are going to see them. Also they tend to have all of the big shows on first; then wonder why people tune out. Yeah if people are drawn to DBS; maybe have it as the 3rd show in. Their logic seems to be that if they did that then people will skip the first hour of shows, but if they show DBS first then they'll stay for the whole night rather than just watch it a peace off to bed. This goes for every new show they get. 

Either way I think that toonami should have two blocks like it used to. Main one and midnight run pretty much. Use the after school block for shows like Naruto, One Piece, DBS, MHA. The late night block for shows with more gore, language, and fanservice. 

Also toonami dropped the ball to make money on merch. I don't even think they have a t-shirt for sale yet. You'd think that since they're now targeting adults with an income that they'd be trying to make nostalgia money. For whatever reason they just really glanced over any of that. Also the only merch that I think they have put out just is the bland toonami text. Put tom or moltar's helmet on a shirt you lazy asshats it's not difficult. 

4 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I don't really get what the point would be to move it to a different channel. They would just cancel the block before selling it off to another network. CNN midnight news is the only rival that toonami really has, and it's a sister company. Warner would start up a streaming service that has a weekly live stream before they would try and start a new TV channel for Toonami. 

I think what you were more getting at is that Toonami itself is constrained a lot by its content. I think we brought this up a couple of weeks ago; about how some anime would be good for old toonami but not new toonami. Then there were other shows like Fairy Tail that are just in this weird limbo that makes them too adolescent to be in a mature block, but too fanservice heavy to be in an adolescent block in america.  

I think there's also just problems with show schedules, as in just the lineup order. When DBS was new they moved the block to start earlier. It never really seems to come up in terms of cause and effect at toonami, but shows being shown earlier is better. More people are going to see them. Also they tend to have all of the big shows on first; then wonder why people tune out. Yeah if people are drawn to DBS; maybe have it as the 3rd show in. Their logic seems to be that if they did that then people will skip the first hour of shows, but if they show DBS first then they'll stay for the whole night rather than just watch it a peace off to bed. This goes for every new show they get. 

Either way I think that toonami should have two blocks like it used to. Main one and midnight run pretty much. Use the after school block for shows like Naruto, One Piece, DBS, MHA. The late night block for shows with more gore, language, and fanservice. 

Also toonami dropped the ball to make money on merch. I don't even think they have a t-shirt for sale yet. You'd think that since they're now targeting adults with an income that they'd be trying to make nostalgia money. For whatever reason they just really glanced over any of that. Also the only merch that I think they have put out just is the bland toonami text. Put tom or moltar's helmet on a shirt you lazy asshats it's not difficult. 

I wouldn't say only "channel". What about an online platform? Or joining a streaming service?

Does it take an arm and a leg to get sufficient merch? They always had a problem with that. Whenever merch did appear, it was always either due to the barest amount of spare budgets they had, or completely at the will of a third party. ... I have a SARA T-shirt.

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I wouldn't say only "channel". What about an online platform? Or joining a streaming service?

I don't think that toonami could last as a streaming platform simply because they rely on dubbing companies that have their own streaming platforms. Really I'm surprised that Funi or Sentai hasn't tried to make a host like Tom and do live streams through their service to show off newly dubbed episodes each week. Kinda like how Joe bob Brigs will host live on Shudder when they're doing new episodes. 

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Does it take an arm and a leg to get sufficient merch? They always had a problem with that. Whenever merch did appear, it was always either due to the barest amount of spare budgets they had, or completely at the will of a third party. ... I have a SARA T-shirt.

I don't know why they think that they can't make money by selling goods and services for a profit. For some reason they seem to trail off into it being too expensive. Then when they do put something out it's like the toonami logo, or a picture of clyde. That was probably the last time I remember them even trying to push any merch was when they were slapping clyde on everything; because nobody wanted a shirt with Tom 4's stupid face on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

They've sold several T-Shirts--they even advertised the newest "Bummer T.O.M." design online!

Wait that's official! I thought that was some shit wish knock off chinese crap. The fucking jpeg they used has so much artifacts and few pixels, I don't even know what to compare it to. God damn that is lazy and hard to see. I couldn't imagine how faded that will be in a few washes either. 
print_f5a2851d-c698-4f1b-acf9-00e154f1ad

• Haha 1

Where the hell would it move?

Warner trying to unload Crunchyroll makes it perfectly clear they don’t need or want an anime streaming service, so that’s right out, not to mention DeMarco hates streaming because he misses being the sole tastemaker for the industry.  

As for the block’s future, it is what it is.  And what it is is well, a block with a limited budget, a limited amount of shows, and no real way to expand that.  So at this point, you should enjoy the time you have with the block, because there’s nowhere left for it to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I don't think that toonami could last as a streaming platform simply because they rely on dubbing companies that have their own streaming platforms. Really I'm surprised that Funi or Sentai hasn't tried to make a host like Tom and do live streams through their service to show off newly dubbed episodes each week. Kinda like how Joe bob Brigs will host live on Shudder when they're doing new episodes. 

I don't know why they think that they can't make money by selling goods and services for a profit. For some reason they seem to trail off into it being too expensive. Then when they do put something out it's like the toonami logo, or a picture of clyde. That was probably the last time I remember them even trying to push any merch was when they were slapping clyde on everything; because nobody wanted a shirt with Tom 4's stupid face on it. 

Remember we got a TOM Funko Pop figure last holiday season. That may have been totally done by Gamestop though.

The only way Toonami is going elsewhere is if [as] goes elsewhere. It will not leave [as] because it is owned by [as] and [as] will probably not try to sell it.

However, [as] may go elsewhere if CN ceases to be. One possibility would be living on as a late night block after 11 PM or Midnight on TBS or TNT. That would probably still keep Toonami on Saturday nights. But [as], unlike Crunchyroll, is a Turner brainchild, so it will always air on a Turner property.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2020 at 8:18 AM, elfie said:

It seems like Warner Media is shuffling who owns what in all their acquisitions at least once a year. Neo Toonami has not been doing nearly as well as it did at its peak in 2015. More and more customers are ditching cable every year. And now in the pandemic, there's less new acquisitions for the Toonami team to air, leading to the block shrinking to a shorter runtime, and filling half of it with reruns, or dedicating whole evenings to special events. There doesn't exactly seem to be a reason why it's still on cable once a week at the wee hours of the morning anymore. So I postulated this theory...

I'd follow it to wherever it moved to >_>

• Like 3

17 hours ago, elfie said:

Remember we got a TOM Funko Pop figure last holiday season. That may have been totally done by Gamestop though.

I don't do funko so I remember no such thing! 

15 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The only way Toonami is going elsewhere is if [as] goes elsewhere. It will not leave [as] because it is owned by [as] and [as] will probably not try to sell it.

This, selling it would make no sense as they'd be losing the brand itself. Toonami as a recognized brand is probably more valuable than the block itself. I still think though that Toonami needs to get more interactive on platforms like youtube and twitch with some live streams to interact with people and bring in younger viewers. 

I can see Toonami/Adult Swim animé that’s been compiled over the years getting dumped onto HBO Max to try to build interest in the platform.

But as long as cable TV is still lucrative for Turner Broadcasting, they’ll probably stick with it for the long haul until they deem it more expensive to acquire new licensed shows. 

Honestly if someone upstairs wants to funnel money in it and make like at least 5 titles per anime season Toonami exclusive on the western hemisphere on top of licensing almost everything they've ever aired in their weekday CN incarnation (as well as the laundry list on 90's titles they missed out on), I could see it doing well as a subsection of HBO Max.

Only thing is the world will most likely end befo- oh wait...

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Haha 2