UnevenEdge

how do you feel about toonami's decision on DBS Reruns?

How do you feel about DBS Reruns returning to lead the block?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. how do you feel about DBS Reruns returning to lead toonami?

• love it
    • hate it
    • indifferent/don't really care

it took so long to get to a point where Dragon ball wasn't Toonami's Prize Winner and since this story arc lasts 54 episodes  we're back in that "DB Is Undefeated King Of Toonami" Phase for the long haul

that's my big problem with this....no matter what they get for the rest of the year....It'll be stuck airing after DBS Reruns and this will go well into 2021...

The coffers are empty, the budget is bone dry, and the industry is in major, major flux.  Put simply, I don’t think they had a choice.  When you’re reduced to airing Ballmasterz episodes because you don’t have the time, the budget, or the inclination to get materials from even the cousins in the same media family (and even that’s a major question mark as sale rumors for Crunchyroll ramp up) you grit your teeth and deal with it.  DB Super is not ideal until a new season is inevitably made.  It is infinitely preferable to Ballmasterz or more license rescues from the Dark Ages.  Otherwise why not just re-air Pilot Candidate?

This is the best of a really bad hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jman said:

The coffers are empty, the budget is bone dry, and the industry is in major, major flux.  Put simply, I don’t think they had a choice.  When you’re reduced to airing Ballmasterz episodes because you don’t have the time, the budget, or the inclination to get materials from even the cousins in the same media family (and even that’s a major question mark as sale rumors for Crunchyroll ramp up) you grit your teeth and deal with it.  DB Super is not ideal until a new season is inevitably made.  It is infinitely preferable to Ballmasterz or more license rescues from the Dark Ages.  Otherwise why not just re-air Pilot Candidate?

This is the best of a really bad hand.

They are gonna be screwed next year because i really doubt the budget is gonna be any better with covid-19 still raging on strong by then and eventually they'll exhaust all viable rerun options

all because so many people think wearing a mask is stupid and social distancing is for losers....

Edited by CountFrylock

I'm indifferent, as you might expect. I could never blame them for all that's going on, especially when Georgia is one of those states that's seen the brunt of reopening-induced outbreaks. At this point, Jason and friends might as well stay at home, relax, and telegram the scheduler who's resorted to living in the control center what reruns to put on.

Also, I think you should cool it with the defeatism. Not that there's any scientific reason for doing so, but because sometimes, optimism is just better. I have my fingers tightly crossed a vaccine will enter mass production by the start of next year.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

They are gonna be screwed next year because i really doubt the budget is gonna be any better with covid-19 still raging on strong by then and eventually they'll exhaust all viable rerun options

all because so many people think wearing a mask is stupid and social distancing is for losers....

Oh, go lick a doorknob in Florida!

• Haha 3

I don't know if it's everywhere or just those being vocal online or just our small corner of the internet. Though it feels like nobody really gives two shits about any sort of Dragonball reruns. Dragonball marathons usually get okay to good ratings which is why I said IDK. The thing is that people put up with DBZ a lot because it was good. The problem is that it was way overplayed. Most of us could probably act out the arcs from memory we've seen them so much. Then we have DBS. It's not good, it's sometimes a chore to sit through even when it's a new episode. It has some good moments though the delivery and pacing of the episodes feels wrong in some way. We all grew up watching pre-kai og DBZ a show where they cut out 100 episodes worth of screaming and filler for kai. So it is weird to gripe about stuff super does, but fuck some of those arcs gave me physical pain at times. 

Really I don't know how Toonami is doing reruns anymore. I remember years back on ASMB someone asked about what happened to all the show reruns that they used to do, like showing last weeks episode before the new episode. They said it was too expensive they can't run shows in syndication anymore like they used to.and were moving to the one and done format. I thought at the time that it was more about trying to get more viewers in watching the network, because ratings boards were still figuring out how to calculate DVR recordings; and that may have been what was hurting them. Then for a while I guessed that maybe they're right that it is a money thing because that would make sense. Though now if that is the case it just makes them fucking idiots unless they got the worlds greatest deal on getting to rerun shows.  I mean if they had to pay for these, there are probably dozens of shows that would have done better and probably would have been cheaper. Outlaw star, FLCL (not the bullshit seasons), trigun, fucking S-CRY-ed and Pilot Candidate feel like better options than reruns of dragonball super. 

• Confused 1

The only good thing to have come out of super were the female characters. Vegeta lost his balls, Goku has become the worst living thing in the multiverse. People complained about the "hero of hope nightmare to you" speech from DBZ, but most of the arcs are now caused directly by his actions. He had to challenge Zamasu the racist kai with a damn Mephisto to a fight when told not to. He had Zeno destroy a whole future timeline. Got Zeno to erase multiple universes and either way of the outcome had his universe at risk, brought back Frieza who does go back on his genocidal conquest of the Galaxy, and allows him to do so because "I want to see if he'll get stronger", Goku jobs to a ray gun, Goku allows the earth to get destroyed by Frieza and only gets saved because of asspulls,  Krillin becomes so beta that guns hurt him when they couldn't when he was a child, Gohan continues to be a disappointment. 

I put up with a lot of shit though for 18 and the female angels and saiyans. 

bc5.png

10 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

It's a rerun, is there any particular reason they can't chuck it later in the night or off the block once they get their hands on something fresh?

because it's dragon ball and even a rerun of dragon ball would probably do better than anything else they'd have planned for that slot

The franchise is that powerful

so i don't really see them demoting DBS Reruns for anything

Edited by CountFrylock

13 hours ago, Blatch said:

I'm indifferent, as you might expect. I could never blame them for all that's going on, especially when Georgia is one of those states that's seen the brunt of reopening-induced outbreaks. At this point, Jason and friends might as well stay at home, relax, and telegram the scheduler who's resorted to living in the control center what reruns to put on.

Also, I think you should cool it with the defeatism. Not that there's any scientific reason for doing so, but because sometimes, optimism is just better. I have my fingers tightly crossed a vaccine will enter mass production by the start of next year.

Maybe I'd be more positive and cheerful if my state(texas)wasn't so determined to get everyone killed....

they all think it's the wild wild west and they can do as they please

Counties constantly butting heads because they can't agree on anything and all the governor can do is make suggestions that anyone can just choose to ignore

in other words "We've Tried Nothing and We're All Out Of Ideas!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The only good thing to have come out of super were the female characters. Vegeta lost his balls, Goku has become the worst living thing in the multiverse. People complained about the "hero of hope nightmare to you" speech from DBZ, but most of the arcs are now caused directly by his actions. He had to challenge Zamasu the racist kai with a damn Mephisto to a fight when told not to. He had Zeno destroy a whole future timeline. Got Zeno to erase multiple universes and either way of the outcome had his universe at risk, brought back Frieza who does go back on his genocidal conquest of the Galaxy, and allows him to do so because "I want to see if he'll get stronger", Goku jobs to a ray gun, Goku allows the earth to get destroyed by Frieza and only gets saved because of asspulls,  Krillin becomes so beta that guns hurt him when they couldn't when he was a child, Gohan continues to be a disappointment. 

I put up with a lot of shit though for 18 and the female angels and saiyans. 

bc5.png

And yet in the actual show, my memory of the female characters are not as strong as the male ones. The only places where they made a real impression on me is in fan content.

14 minutes ago, elfie said:

And yet in the actual show, my memory of the female characters are not as strong as the male ones. The only places where they made a real impression on me is in fan content.

I remember the Caulifla, Kale, and Kefla more than most of the ToP arc. I don't know what toriyama was thinking when he made Cabba. Hey what would Vegeta look like if he was a lame stick figure that liked doing the right thing because it's right.... Should make that a recurring character.

Krillin got downgraded bad by super. Not only did they make him shorter, but they were making him far more cowardice than he was in Z. I feel like some of that was have a better dynamic to play off of with 18. Toriyama says he doesn't like writing romance, so I think that his default is write the women as angry and the men as pathetic.  18 though had a lot of development. Really couldn't go down though considering she became wall paper in Z after she married Krillin. 

Bulma probably has had more relevance as a character than she has had in a long while. She'll never get back to the relevance she had in DB, but it's to be expected. 

Though I'll also have to check out the manga. The fights and character interactions in it are entirely different than in the anime. Like Kefla doesn't even fight Goku in the manga. She fights Gohan and doesn't use any of the flirty banter like she did with Goku in the anime. So Toei has a vision of what they think is good and Toriyama has his own vision.  

4a5c08aa1a6665ff8ce4d48ed07e8b65aa3a91der1-712-1064v2_hq.jpg

If we can't get a new premiere at the moment, then I'm mostly indifferent as to what they choose to rerun, since I'd be jumping in afterwards regardless unless it was something I really wanted to rewatch.  I might have tuned in if they were doing a full MHA season 4 repeat run.

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

If we can't get a new premiere at the moment, then I'm mostly indifferent as to what they choose to rerun, since I'd be jumping in afterwards regardless unless it was something I really wanted to rewatch.  I might have tuned in if they were doing a full MHA season 4 repeat run.

They Probably decided against that since the weekday morning rerun slot of MHA is currently on Season 3

So it's only a matter of time before it reaches season 4