UnevenEdge

Funimation Announces MHA 85 Dub This Sunday, as well as others!

The1gairon

That Episode 84 experiment seems to have been a big hit, so now they're gonna try to continue Operation Dub At Home for a new normal, at least for now. I hope the actors know how to keep those dub kits in great condition too. Maybe Funimation will have to replace them over a time?
Edited by elfie
  • Thanks 3

That is great news.

Hopefully MHA will be able finish out its run on Toonami without any issues.

Hopefully Black Clover can keep running, at least until its episodes run out, since it is going on hiatus in Japan.  It's all well and good if Funimation can continue dubbing at home, but they can't very well dub episodes that don't exist.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

That is great news.

Hopefully MHA will be able finish out its run on Toonami without any issues.

Hopefully Black Clover can keep running, at least until its episodes run out, since it is going on hiatus in Japan.  It's all well and good if Funimation can continue dubbing at home, but they can't very well dub episodes that don't exist.

Dubs can only get made if Japan creates anime for them. And they already stalled like HALF of all their productions!! MHA isn't too bad because that takes regular breaks every few seasons and Funimation only has like 5 episode left to dub. It's gonna be hard following seasonal anime from now on on the gamble that anything I chose may not last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Dubs can only get made if Japan creates anime for them. And they already stalled like HALF of all their productions!! MHA isn't too bad because that takes regular breaks every few seasons and Funimation only has like 5 episode left to dub. It's gonna be hard following seasonal anime from now on on the gamble that anything I chose may not last.

i wonder if toonami has enough shows to rerun that they can blow through the year without new content

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i wonder if toonami has enough shows to rerun that they can blow through the year without new content

I doubt they’d let it get that bad, but if that were the case, they need to move the actual premeire shows up. They can’t have the block led by reruns 

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Toonami can't dub shows themselves motherfucker.

Although come to think about it, I would like to see a Ghost Stories-style dub for Macross 7.

Harmony Gold.

God I hate Harmony Gold.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Although come to think about it, I would like to see a Ghost Stories-style dub for Macross 7.

I meant Funimation, Crunchyroll, Sentai, or Viz Media. What do you think i don't know that Toonami doesn't dub shows themselves?!? My god.

9 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Demarco is an influential tastemaker. He can handle at least 4 voices for the new Toonami dubbed anime.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I doubt they’d let it get that bad, but if that were the case, they need to move the actual premeire shows up. They can’t have the block led by reruns 

JoJo and the remaining to be dubbed episodes of Clover should last until September.

Food Wars will probably be back by the time JoJo finishes.

Paranoia and Mob season 1 take care of two slots until August.

MHA is the only show that definitely needs to be replaced before August (probably in June). But they won’t air just anything in the first slot.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Daos said:

Demarco is an influential tastemaker. He can handle at least 4 voices for the new Toonami dubbed anime.

I think his only voice credits to date are the hot dog vendor in IGPX and some of the creatures hosting Miguzi.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

JoJo and the remaining to be dubbed episodes of Clover should last until September.

Food Wars will probably be back by the time JoJo finishes.

Paranoia and Mob season 1 take care of two slots until August.

MHA is the only show that definitely needs to be replaced before August (probably in June). But they won’t air just anything in the first slot.

do they really have a choice at this point to be so picky about the first slot? it's not like they have a lot of amazing popular choices on the table due to the current situation

slapping a rerun on that first slot(no matter what it is)would be really stupid

56 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

do they really have a choice at this point to be so picky about the first slot? it's not like they have a lot of amazing popular choices on the table due to the current situation

slapping a rerun on that first slot(no matter what it is)would be really stupid

They’ll try it anyway I’m sure, it’s worked out so well for them before.But with MHA potentially not being replaced and the block leading with 3 reruns, it will feel rather stale. Without fresh stuff up front, it won’t give people a reason to stick around for the new stuff. 

I don’t know what they are going to do, but theyl really should try and get a back catalog show from Funimation or Crunchyroll. I know they are picky about the lead slot, but trying something new is better than just leaving MHA in reruns. What were they going to do had COVID not happened?

I think the only thing that threw them for a loop was Food Wars not being able to continue. I think negotiations didn’t happen in time to get season 3, so they got Mob on to take the 1am slot and just brought Paranoia Agent (which was intended to replace Demon at 12:30) out a few weeks early. 

I can’t see Mob at 1am as anything other than a temporary fix to plug a hole they didn’t know they’d have to fill. I’m also hoping they still had a deal on and this wasn’t something they chose to acquire over a fresh title. 

I want to believe good things are coming, but nothing that’s happened this year (even before COVID) has been good news in terms of fresh acquisitions. 5 premiere slots lost (6 depending on how you view PA) since the beginning of the year and them also not replacing MHA leads me to believe it’s money related and what we had coming was mostly sequels that may not happen this year. 

So I’m hoping they actually have plans to replace MHA. They were always going to have to anyway between seasons 

Edited by brianycpht
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't say "suddenly". When Toonami picked up Food Wars, the first two seasons were the only ones dubbed by Sentai. They dubbed the third while the Toonami broadcast was going on, so naturally that would be a separate contract. The whole "owned by Crunchyroll" thing just makes licensing it too more difficult on Demarco.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I wouldn't say "suddenly". When Toonami picked up Food Wars, the first two seasons were the only ones dubbed by Sentai. They dubbed the third while the Toonami broadcast was going on, so naturally that would be a separate contract. The whole "owned by Crunchyroll" thing just makes licensing it too more difficult on Demarco.

As Disney taught us: "... if you can't beat your rivals, join them."

Well as with anything in this time, a big successful change means it has to trade it in for something. ... in this case, it's the dubs of all of Funimation's other new seasonal simuldubs, which are now delayed or canceled, including Fruits Basket Season 2, another of their big sellers from the first season. I suppose working from home gives everyone limited amount of work hours no matter what they do.