UnevenEdge

Dragonball Z Kai Marathon on April 11th

The1gairon

On April 11th, we finally see the first results of the effects of the virus on the Toonami crew. They will run a Dragonball Z Kai marathon all night. Nevermind how they tried to play it during Easter weekend as a thinly-veiled attempt to make it seem like a holiday marathon- Toonami NEVER ran a marathon on Easter! The crew are human beings, and I think at least two of em had to feel symptoms by now on top of every one of them working from home.  THe past two Pre-Flights have been reruns!  THis is not looking good.

... I didn't even think they still HAD the rights to Kai!

Edited by elfie

Definitely smells like a stalling tactic. SAO is taking a break after April 4th and they're probably hoping they don't have to delay MHA more than a week but we'll see how that goes. This may also be a test to see how Kai reruns do in the current situation. They might put it back on the regular line-up if they run into a major snag.

Edited by Sketch

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

This may also be a test to see how Kai reruns do in the current situation. They might put it back on the regular line-up if they run into a major snag.

I kinda hope they don't add it back as a reg show. I've seen Kai so many times already. It would be nice if they could pick up some of the isekai quartet series in the future Overlord, Re-zero, Tanya, Konosuba.  Konosuba and Overlord would probably do well. Re-zero I think takes too much patience to watch because of the groundhog day element of it. Tanya probably wouldn't air just because social media would see the uniforms and think nazi's. Pretty much like how Tanya cosplay and Merch are pretty much banned at all anime cons in america. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I kinda hope they don't add it back as a reg show. I've seen Kai so many times already. It would be nice if they could pick up some of the isekai quartet series in the future Overlord, Re-zero, Tanya, Konosuba.  Konosuba and Overlord would probably do well. Re-zero I think takes too much patience to watch because of the groundhog day element of it. Tanya probably wouldn't air just because social media would see the uniforms and think nazi's. Pretty much like how Tanya cosplay and Merch are pretty much banned at all anime cons in america. 

In that regard, Jason basically said they don't have the freedom to take whatever they want from the Crunchyroll library. In his words "if only it were that simple, summer child"

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

All he said is that they're "working from home it's a drag, I miss my co-workers". I don't know where you're picking up this end is nigh tone from. 

He said "yeah it will definitely affect it. Expect marathons, reruns, etc."

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

In that regard, Jason basically said they don't have the freedom to take whatever they want from the Crunchyroll library. In his words "if only it were that simple, summer child"

You'd think in a pandemic these companies wouldn't be so stingy....you can't honestly expect toonami to run on nothing but marathons and reruns of classic shows

this isn't going away anytime soon and the sad part is i think many companies think it will just blow over in a couple weeks

1 hour ago, elfie said:

He said "yeah it will definitely affect it. Expect marathons, reruns, etc."

some experts think this pandemic could last 12-18 months....what would toonami even do in that situation?

i really wonder because they'd run out of marathons and classic reruns by that point

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

It would be fine if they didn't waste money on pet projects. Like oh Junji Ito really didn't translate well into animation last year. I know lets fund another based on his Uzumaki series, that will work! No that's a horrible idea; other than being complete hipsters I don't know why they'd fund this. With how hands-off Toonami was with FLCL I doubt they'd be able to have someone overseeing this to make sure that it isn't a repeat failure. That being said the money used for this could have been used to gain some shows like Konosuba or Overlord. I do get the feeling though that the toonami staff aren't isekai fans or they'd have already gotten to these obvious ones. It's kinda weird as well with Crunchy. They for whatever reason treated Konosuba like a redheaded stepchild for years. The series was popular but they never advertised it. A dub for season 1 came out years after the fact, and season 2 just got a dub this month and the season ended in 2017. It was weird because every other country had a dub for a while now.  They only jumped on that because isekai quartet got big. Either way really seems like it's more of a personal preference issue with the staff as to why aside from SAO, pretty much a whole sub-genre of anime got ignored.  Like if overlord was just a show about a demon skeleton and not a guy playing a game who's soul was transported with his avatar to that world. I nearly guarantee it would have already been aired on toonami.  Attack on Titan probably never would have gotten shown if Eren were just sent into that world from our world. 

2 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

The way you're talking is that they're at home taking their last breaths waiting for the night to take them. 

well no i think it's just the case that toonami will have to become home to marathons and classic reruns indefinitely because most experts don't see this clearing up anytime soon and with the situation becoming everyday  we should get used to marathons being the norm for a long time

27 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

well no i think it's just the case that toonami will have to become home to marathons and classic reruns indefinitely because most experts don't see this clearing up anytime soon and with the situation becoming everyday  we should get used to marathons being the norm for a long time

It's an anime block, really not the end of the world if it gets a few marathons. I remember back when people used to be psyched for marathons. "Oh hell yeah an flcl/inuyasha movie/bleach marathon this will be fun".  Now news of a marathon is like being told both Pearl Harbor and 9/11 just happened. I'd like some better shows than Kai to get marathon at least since Kai has been done to death. As for the quarantine, it's not going to last that long. It's going to end far before we have a cure. 

a few marathons is one thing   the possibility this pandemic could last into next year is another thing entirely nobody knows how long this will last and without the country being on mandatory lockdown  all we have is the honor system where we hope people respect the social distancing rules and stay at home

but knowing how many idiots are out there who like to be rebellious and stupid(people whose brains are full blown derp mode 24/7) we'll likely have to become much stricter

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

You'd think in a pandemic these companies wouldn't be so stingy....you can't honestly expect toonami to run on nothing but marathons and reruns of classic shows

this isn't going away anytime soon and the sad part is i think many companies think it will just blow over in a couple weeks

Some small businesses are already closing for good because they don't do delivery and can't afford to stay open with no one coming in.

7 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Oh good, time for another round of "Toonami fans whining endlessly about every single announcement, regardless of the circumstances" because god forbid you take a break from the doomsday predictions for one fucking week.

IT'S A NOVEL VIRUS THAT CAN AFFECT ANYONE.

FUCKIN YOU STOP BEING ENTITLED AND PROTECT YOURSELF SO YOU CAN PROTECT OTHERS.

• D'oh 1

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

Some small businesses are already closing for good because they don't do delivery and can't afford to stay open with no one coming in.

Just telling people to stay indoors and flatten the curve is nice and all but if nobody's getting paid and small businesses are forced to permanently shutdown

what do we do for them now?.....big or small no business can operate normally without anyone buying anything and if nobody has any money coming in  they won't be buying anything except essential supplies

more people are at home watching tv and all we have to give them are old movies  marathons and reruns

boredom is a common thing because nobody has a choice but to be a prisoner inside they're own house now and there's not much to do or watch(plus that whole not getting paid thing hanging over them)

14 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

some experts think this pandemic could last 12-18 months....what would toonami even do in that situation?

i really wonder because they'd run out of marathons and classic reruns by that point

Who says they have to replace every slot with reruns because there's nothing to air? I'm sure they can go to Funi and Sentai for catalogue titles. Honestly, having the block go back to airing older, lesser-known shows would be a good way to entice me to watch it again.

Don't they still have like, 200 episodes of Naruto to grind through? They could make that half the block and still have a year's safety net on it.

I don't know what the rights situation looks like with Bleach, but it might not be too hard for Toonami to rerun it considering the new anime announcement.

Or hey, Funi's got almost 600 episodes of One Piece dubbed...

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

I doubt they'll bring back One Piece, consuming they dropped it due to FUNi wanting to charge more for it, but if that only applies to Sabaody on, I wouldn't mind a late-hours replay from the very beginning.

One Piece was confirmed for Netflix a week ago as a lead up to the LA version.  No word on the debut date.

44 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

FFS people, "we may not have a vaccine for 12-18 months" does not translate to "everyone has to stay socially isolated for 12-18 months." Do some goddamn research. 

Actually it does. If we don't have a vaccine, we're helpless and the virus will do what it wants and then disappear whenever it wants to, not whenever WE want it to. Right now, we're not even fighting against it. We're letting it throw us around. "Novel" means "new", in that it's a new virus never before seen by anyone and we have no immunity to it, like we do with influenza.

As for why this all has to do with Toonami,

- Virus -> Inflects human workers -> Workers who work for Toonami and any anime distributor or committee = delays in shipments for new episodes.

Everything in every company is run by humans. I can't fuckin believe i goddamn had to explain it JUSTNOWO1`@e>z!@l{!

1 minute ago, elfie said:

Cool because clearly rerunning Naruto worked WONDERS for Toonami in 2008....

These are new episodes of Shippuden that have been dubbed and never aired before. Where are you getting reruns from?

Do you just lose reading comprehension when you go into panicked flailing mode?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, elfie said:

Actually it does. If we don't have a vaccine, we're helpless and the virus will do what it wants and then disappear whenever it wants to, not whenever WE want it to. Right now, we're not even fighting against it. We're letting it throw us around. "Novel" means "new", in that it's a new virus never before seen by anyone and we have no immunity to it, like we do with influenza.

As for why this all has to do with Toonami,

- Virus -> Inflects human workers -> Workers who work for Toonami and any anime distributor or committee = delays in shipments for new episodes.

Everything in every company is run by humans. I can't fuckin believe i goddamn had to explain it JUSTNOWO1`@e>z!@l{!

I'm going to explain this and use small words so you can understand it.  No one, anywhere, is suggesting that lockdowns will have to last more than a year straight.  The infection curves will flatten.  It may be after a great deal of suffering (because our leadership are short-sighted colossal idiots), but it will flatten, probably far closer to June than April.  We'll probably be okay to lift most social restrictions then, provided we finally get actual widespread testing and can monitor for flare-ups.  There may need to be more localized quarantines put in place during these flare-ups, but so long as we're doing our job and rigorously testing people, they can be confined locally.

...okay, I had to use some bigger words in there.  My apologies.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

I'm going to explain this and use small words so you can understand it.  No one, anywhere, is suggesting that lockdowns will have to last more than a year straight.  The infection curves will flatten.  It may be after a great deal of suffering (because our leadership are short-sighted colossal idiots), but it will flatten, probably far closer to June than April.  We'll probably be okay to lift most social restrictions then, provided we finally get actual widespread testing and can monitor for flare-ups.  There may need to be more localized quarantines put in place during these flare-ups, but so long as we're doing our job and rigorously testing people, they can be confined locally.

...okay, I had to use some bigger words in there.  My apologies.

Yes, the infection curve will flatten, but for how long? The US has just started enacting the very things we should've done two months ago, and the number of cases and deaths are doubling every two days! We're nowhere near the point where we're even starting to see a slowing down of the rates! So the idea that we're going to have to stay indoors for 12-18 months is very likely, because as long as ONE PERSON here has the virus, we're in danger! If one person comes in contact with someone before the virus dies out, the whole things starts all over again, and we're then looking at an additional 12-18 months of quarantines!! That's why this shouldn't be made fun of! That's why you cannot make assumptions! In the past, vaccines could only be perfected in a year! We're doomed!

• D'oh 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Yes, the infection curve will flatten, but for how long? The US has just started enacting the very things we should've done two months ago, and the number of cases and deaths are doubling every two days! We're nowhere near the point where we're even starting to see a slowing down of the rates! So the idea that we're going to have to stay indoors for 12-18 months is very likely, because as long as ONE PERSON here has the virus, we're in danger! If one person comes in contact with someone before the virus dies out, the whole things starts all over again, and we're then looking at an additional 12-18 months of quarantines!! That's why this shouldn't be made fun of! That's why you cannot make assumptions! In the past, vaccines could only be perfected in a year! We're doomed!

Unless you're over 60 or have lung issues/immune compromised you aren't in any more danger than had you caught a normal flu. The worry is younger people getting sick and spreading it to groups who it could kill. Based on things like Spanish Flu and Swine Flu the curve drops off after 8-10 weeks of social distancing. Right now we're into week 3 or 4. We can also see this In china as they had an 8 week quarantine and are now lifting many of their restrictions. The virus isn't cured yet, but people are going to be returning to work either way. I think you're really over reacting with the we're doomed thing. Spanish Flu killed over 50 million people. If Corona started killing 27k people a day as opposed to it taking months to reach that number, for a full year it wouldn't even be at 10 million. If it could manage that for 5 years straight it would kill 49 million people. The population of the earth is 7.5 billion.  It would take 761 years at 27k people dying a day for humanity to be wiped off the planet by this virus.  So we aren't doomed or even close to it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It would be fine if they didn't waste money on pet projects. Like oh Junji Ito really didn't translate well into animation last year. I know lets fund another based on his Uzumaki series, that will work! No that's a horrible idea; other than being complete hipsters I don't know why they'd fund this. With how hands-off Toonami was with FLCL I doubt they'd be able to have someone overseeing this to make sure that it isn't a repeat failure. That being said the money used for this could have been used to gain some shows like Konosuba or Overlord. I do get the feeling though that the toonami staff aren't isekai fans or they'd have already gotten to these obvious ones. It's kinda weird as well with Crunchy. They for whatever reason treated Konosuba like a redheaded stepchild for years. The series was popular but they never advertised it. A dub for season 1 came out years after the fact, and season 2 just got a dub this month and the season ended in 2017. It was weird because every other country had a dub for a while now.  They only jumped on that because isekai quartet got big. Either way really seems like it's more of a personal preference issue with the staff as to why aside from SAO, pretty much a whole sub-genre of anime got ignored.  Like if overlord was just a show about a demon skeleton and not a guy playing a game who's soul was transported with his avatar to that world. I nearly guarantee it would have already been aired on toonami.  Attack on Titan probably never would have gotten shown if Eren were just sent into that world from our world. 

How many times must it be said that original production budget is separate from acquisition budget?

I think the lack KonoSuba hype from anyone at CR besides Miles has more to do with how little CR promoted anything until more recent years. They did not really hype ReZero either much less more obscure shows.

Has DeMarco publicly decried isekai?

I know if the dearth continues I’ll continue to recommend he get Shield Hero.

All that being said, things don’t have a chance of returning to normal until mid-May.  Best thing to do is grin and bear it because it’s effecting everyone.  At least Toonami is doing better than the US comic industry.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Unless you're over 60 or have lung issues/immune compromised you aren't in any more danger than had you caught a normal flu. The worry is younger people getting sick and spreading it to groups who it could kill. Based on things like Spanish Flu and Swine Flu the curve drops off after 8-10 weeks of social distancing. Right now we're into week 3 or 4. We can also see this In china as they had an 8 week quarantine and are now lifting many of their restrictions. The virus isn't cured yet, but people are going to be returning to work either way. I think you're really over reacting with the we're doomed thing. Spanish Flu killed over 50 million people. If Corona started killing 27k people a day as opposed to it taking months to reach that number, for a full year it wouldn't even be at 10 million. If it could manage that for 5 years straight it would kill 49 million people. The population of the earth is 7.5 billion.  It would take 761 years at 27k people dying a day for humanity to be wiped off the planet by this virus.  So we aren't doomed or even close to it. 

Younger people are also dying. And in more frequency the most the days go on.

If I'm overreacting, try telling that to the experts who keep repeating the 12-18-month prediction.

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

Has DeMarco publicly decried isekai?

I know if the dearth continues I’ll continue to recommend he get Shield Hero.

All that being said, things don’t have a chance of returning to normal until mid-May.  Best thing to do is grin and bear it because it’s effecting everyone.  At least Toonami is doing better than the US comic industry.

SAO.  All the seasons dubbed so far have aired or are airing. I wouldn't call that decrying.