UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

42 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, what!?

I'm thinking there must be errors...

https://toonamifaithful.com/toonami-ratings-for-august-10th-2024/

Where did he pull those from? When I look at the chart, I see the bad numbers. 

That said, I’m more willing to believe those numbers than the lower ones, especially with everything so high on the chart this week. 

• Like 1

If you were hoping for Rick & Morty: The Anime to bomb, you may have gotten your wish...

But did Saturday night's subtitled episode of R&MTA do better?

No, but not too shabby:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

172K/.086 18-49.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1#google_vignette

#392 One Piece once again beat the other 2 with a .064, and Demon Slayer just barely made the Top 400 at #397 and it and #398 Shippuden both got .063 in 18-49.

On 8/17/2024 at 8:10 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, what!?

I'm thinking there must be errors...

https://toonamifaithful.com/toonami-ratings-for-august-10th-2024/

That corroborates what we saw on Toonami Faithful--could SpoilerTV have been in error on 8/10?

It's possible the numbers given by SpoilerTV were actually those from the Mugen Train marathon on 8/3, and if so, as Inosuke says, "Hey, that's not half-bad!"

...hey, wait, those even look a little different from TF...

I mean, I expected lower, so I’m slightly surprised. This was week one though, a lot of people giving it a fair shake and not just writing it off without even touching it. But I have seen nothing but complaints so far, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this week isn’t too great. 

As far as compared to the rest of AS this year though, it’s already underperforming. This is the “big” release of 2024 and it’s already behind Smiling Friends and MAWS, and if Spoiler TV’s numbers from last week are to be believed, it’s WAY behind Psi Cops. 

And on the topic of last weeks ratings and Psi Cops, Spoiler TV listed 2 episodes with very healthy numbers, where those numbers from CN Schedules are significantly lower, however they do give Toonami a bump and a much more realistic Demon Slayer number. Do we really think Demon Slayer did better this week, but barely even made the charts? Unlikely. I don’t know if we will ever get a firm correction, but I think Spoiler TV’s 117k was way off the mark. 

• Like 1

That RickAniMorty encore is doing Psi Cops no favors on Sunday. Honestly not terrible for Toonami this week and a good 38k ahead of Demon Slayer and the rest but we’ll see how eps 2 and 3 hold the audience’s attention (or don’t).

Found this pretty unflattering criticism online:

Hey everyone. No I don't have cable again, I'm just dipping in to give some thoughts.
Been watching the Rick & Morty anime as it hits HBO Max, and it is utterly lame. Between this and several other anime projects, I postulate a theory. Jason DeMarco doesn't know what makes a good anime, or rather, he doesn't understand what the public looks for in a good anime.

Am I off-base?

9 hours ago, Greener223224 said:

No you are not.  DeMarco is the original Tumblr anime “improver” it seems, liking aesthetics but failing to understand the story while declaring tropes as “problematic” and the like.  

It’s clear for his love of FLCL, he failed to get why it worked.

15 hours ago, Greener223224 said:

Long time Toonami fans have known this about him for a long time. He “loves” anime but also hates everything about anime people enjoy the most, most notably fanservice. Another problem he has is he has no idea what anime fans of the current year value. He is stuck in 1997 and refuses to leave, and then wonders why references and themes he copied from 90s anime is seen as a played out cringe by 2024 anime viewers. He is out of touch and has been for a long time. This is reflected both in his own projects and what is acquired for Toonami. 

It’s not just Demarco. Seems most western people who get involved with anime or anime ripoff projects make an active effort to remove all themes that actually make anime popular and replace them with western themes that can be credited for the death of western animation. And no matter what, these people perceive themselves as heroes for doing so and are baffled why all their projects fail.

29 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Long time Toonami fans have known this about him for a long time. He “loves” anime but also hates everything about anime people enjoy the most, most notably fanservice. Another problem he has is he has no idea what anime fans of the current year value. He is stuck in 1997 and refuses to leave, and then wonders why references and themes he copied from 90s anime is seen as a played out cringe by 2024 anime viewers. He is out of touch and has been for a long time. This is reflected both in his own projects and what is acquired for Toonami. 

It’s not just Demarco. Seems most western people who get involved with anime or anime ripoff projects make an active effort to remove all themes that actually make anime popular and replace them with western themes that can be credited for the death of western animation. And no matter what, these people perceive themselves as heroes for doing so and are baffled why all their projects fail.

I think, for better or worse, there’s a reason the most popular anime on Netflix are things like Baki, Kengan, and Record of Ragnarok.  Although the considerable success of shows like My Happy Marriage and Delicious in Dungeon also show there’s more than one way to be successful.

But when DeMarco gets the purse strings, we get FLCL Part 5: Jason Takes Manhattan, or a Rick and Morty anime that doesn’t appeal to anime fans or Rick and Morty fans.

They have nearly 30 years of exhibit proof as to what has consistently worked and what hasn’t worked. But that vision of a “bespoke” action block, a goal that should be an admirable one so we don’t all drown in an endless deluge of Shounen Jump adaptations, has resulted in flop after flop after flop.

Even so, DeMarco has avoided the Eye of Zaslav so far because Toonami is a niche block, but now he’s executive producing an animated Lord of the Rings film that by all rights should not exist, starring a Girlboss character so important to the lore Tolkien never even bothered to name her.  If that bombs, I don’t see DeMarco being long for Toonami, because that will be a much bigger failure.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sketch said:

They really haven't updated the chart in weeks... This might be the end of the road for ratings reports.

There were a couple weeks in there where they didn’t update it for 2 weeks then just did two at once. We also had Labor Day this week so they didn’t do anything then. We currently have 2 nights unaccounted for. If we don’t see an update by Saturday it might be time to worry. 

• Thanks 1

Waiting for cable ratings in 2024 be like...☠️

BUT WAIT!!

8/24/24: Not Available

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-ratings-college-football-on-abc-and-college-gameday-on-espn-begin-season-on-solid-notes/

8/31/24: Ouch! 

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-ratings-texas-michigan-on-fox-tops-all-telecasts-for-the-day/

September 7th, 2024:

Demon Slayer (Adult Swim, 12:29 AM-1:00 AM, 31 min.)

• 0.209 million viewers

• 0.12 A18-49 rating (0.156 million adults 18-49)

One Piece (Adult Swim, 1:00 AM-1:30 AM, 30 min.)

• 0.169 million viewers

• 0.10 A18-49 rating (0.132 million adults 18-49)

One Piece (Adult Swim, 1:30 AM-2:00 AM, 30 min.)

• 0.151 million viewers

• 0.08 A18-49 rating (0.105 million adults 18-49)

Not too shabby! A solid improvement!

Clear to me that a Pirate Power Hour is better for ratings than the waiting around for Shippuden effect--or maybe it's just a fluke? Guess we'll see next week!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Waiting for cable ratings in 2024 be like...☠️

BUT WAIT!!

8/24/24: Not Available

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-ratings-college-football-on-abc-and-college-gameday-on-espn-begin-season-on-solid-notes/

8/31/24: Ouch! 

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-ratings-texas-michigan-on-fox-tops-all-telecasts-for-the-day/

September 7th, 2024:

Demon Slayer (Adult Swim, 12:29 AM-1:00 AM, 31 min.)

• 0.209 million viewers

• 0.12 A18-49 rating (0.156 million adults 18-49)

One Piece (Adult Swim, 1:00 AM-1:30 AM, 30 min.)

• 0.169 million viewers

• 0.10 A18-49 rating (0.132 million adults 18-49)

One Piece (Adult Swim, 1:30 AM-2:00 AM, 30 min.)

• 0.151 million viewers

• 0.08 A18-49 rating (0.105 million adults 18-49)

Not too shabby! A solid improvement!

Clear to me that a Pirate Power Hour is better for ratings than the waiting around for Shippuden effect--or maybe it's just a fluke? Guess we'll see next week!

So after multiple years, SotB just returns from the shadow realm out of nowhere? It’s kinda funny how many times it has almost looked like ratings reports would die just for someone else to step into the role. 

Unfortunate that R&M isn’t being reported since that’s all most of us care about. But based on Demon Slayer, it seems to be one hell of a roller coaster. On 8/31 it held Demon Slayer down to a pitiful 100k. The following week, Demon Slayer is up to 209k. Evidence that subs are both disastrous and not a big deal. Guess we will see how other weeks pan out. Thankfully, Uzumaki is our premier, so if SotB stays in the game, we will get those numbers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler TV finally updated.

The entire 12:29-1:30 AM Toonami hour (Demon Slayer/One Piece) beat R&MTA's Thursday English Dub premiere in 18-49:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1#google_vignette

And this is absolutely bonkers: the highest rated airing of any of the 4 reruns of R&MTA Episode 4 was actually the 3:30 AM Thursday airing (#22), which TIED in 18-49 with Demon Slayer! And the Japanese showing actually DID beat the premiere, but LOOK WHO CRASHED the party at #186!! WTG, DUCKY! Nice sendoff for the [as] original which hopefully has cult classic potential!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Spoiler TV finally updated.

The entire 12:29-1:30 AM Toonami hour (Demon Slayer/One Piece) beat R&MTA's Thursday English Dub premiere in 18-49:

And this is absolutely bonkers: the highest rated airing of any of the 4 reruns of R&MTA Episode 4 was actually the 3:30 AM Thursday airing (#22), which TIED in 18-49 with Demon Slayer! And the Japanese showing actually DID beat the premiere, but LOOK WHO CRASHED the party at #186!! WTG, DUCKY! Nice sendoff for the [as] original which hopefully has cult classic potential!

It’s a good thing to have SotB back in the game since he will report Toonami premiers regardless of performance. Without him, we would have nothing at all for 8/31 because the block just did so shitty that night. 

Anyway, my opinion on Rick subs has changed. Demon Slayer did great last week, but with absolutely no help from Rick since DS actually gained about 30k viewers off it. Very rare for us to see spikes like that in 2024. There is definitely merit in the notion that subs aren’t good for Toonami out front. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The absolute state of cable television ratings...

Two American Dads and two Rick & Morty episodes were in the top 20 with the 11pm Rick and Morty at #5 for 18-49 with such low numbers as 0.144 18-49 and 246,000 viewers and that was a good 30,000 higher than anything else on Adult Swim that week. Given that, the retention from R&M at 11:30 to RATAM isn't very good and Demon Slayer cooked it, had DS been at midnight and something worthwhile was at 12:30 they might have managed 200k from 10pm till 1am, as it stands they still almost did that despite the drop at midnight. At least that week it could be argued that Adult Swim's best performing night was Saturday and that just feels bizarre. As long as the 11pm hour Rick and Morty episodes keep doing that well, there's gonna be no incentive to shift Toonami earlier.

The Rick subs aren't doing Toonami any favors currently but given all those airings of RickAniMorty charted in the top 200, its safe to say the network will be satisfied with the performance overall.

Ninja Kamui finishing out it's rerun with an episode that charts in the top 200 ain't too shabby at all. It managed to beat DBZ Kai given Kai is nowhere on this chart. Billy and Mandy squeek into the top 200 again but no sign of anything else on Checkered Past and nothing on Toonami Rewind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1