UnevenEdge

"it's not going to happen overnight"

Mix

6 hours ago, Sho Minamimoto said:

I still have the slight hope that one day I'll just be walking in a parking lot or something and someone would just randomly pull up in a lambo and say "hey, you want this"

The thing is you'd never take it....you'd be suspicious of anything that's too good to be true

• Like 1

I can personally attest to many things happening overnight. 

I got accepted into grad school overnight.

I got a Pushcart prize nomination overnight. 

I flew to live overseas overnight. 

Obviously these things all took work and effort, but at the same time, a lot of attempts at all these things were no, no, no, no, no,

and then, one morning: yes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mix said:

fuckers love to say that shit like they're taunting you

christ sake, for once I'd like to hear, "hey, no worries, your dreams are going to come true over night"

Because it's the truth(unless you're born rich), and people do stupid shit when they think like that. They risk their homes, empty their bank accounts, etc. because someone offered them a get rich quick scheme. There are conversations about this happening in the writing community right now because more of them are self-publishing, and some receive bad advice to spend like 10 grand to put a book together and they'll be the next E.L. James. Which is funny because James wasn't an overnight success either. She made a name for herself in the fanfiction community first, and when she got 50 Shades of Grey published, her thousands of rabid fans gave her all the free marketing an author can dream of. And since it was Twilight fanfiction with the names changed, its original clout was based off of Twilight's fame. Twilight might count more as an overnight success though. The writer had a dream about the book, wrote it, sent it to the publisher, and then it blew up months after its release. Twilight also met all of that former bestselling genre's market demands at the time that had gone ignored for years. 

I had some sort of talking point to wrap this all up, but I made myself tired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Because it's the truth(unless you're born rich), and people do stupid shit when they think like that. They risk their homes, empty their bank accounts, etc. because someone offered them a get rich quick scheme. There are conversations about this happening in the writing community right now because more of them are self-publishing, and some receive bad advice to spend like 10 grand to put a book together and they'll be the next E.L. James. Which is funny because James wasn't an overnight success either. She made a name for herself in the fanfiction community first, and when she got 50 Shades of Grey published, her thousands of rabid fans gave her all the free marketing an author can dream of. And since it was Twilight fanfiction with the names changed, its original clout was based off of Twilight's fame. Twilight might count more as an overnight success though. The writer had a dream about the book, wrote it, sent it to the publisher, and then it blew up months after its release. Twilight also met all of that former bestselling genre's market demands at the time that had gone ignored for years. 

I had some sort of talking point to wrap this all up, but I made myself tired.

yeah, you're more likely to end up like the poor sot who wrote "Confederacy of Dunces." even if it is good, no one's going to read it until after you're dead. 

Edited by nameraka
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, nameraka said:

yeah, your more likely to end up like the poor sot who wrote "Confederacy of Dunces." even if it is good, no one's going to read it until after your dead. 

It's not as dire as it used to be, but it does still happen sometimes like with Stieg Larson. I had no idea he was dead until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest came out.

10 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

It's not as dire as it used to be, but it does still happen sometimes like with Stieg Larson. I had no idea he was dead until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest came out.

I did not know those books got published after he died....that's sad 

7 hours ago, KimopoBotar said:

I got laid off over night. One day there was a company, the next it ceased to be. 

Good things take years to arrive but all kinds of bad stuff can happen over night. 

That's a saying right? 

32 minutes ago, Mix said:

I did not know those books got published after he died....that's sad 

Yeah, it seemed strange that I'd never heard anything about him personally after seeing so many books sold by him and a series of movies being made. So I googled him and bam, he been dead.

Stuff like that is why I don't put things off for later in life, especially with more resources available to me now. 2019 is a shitshow, but current technology makes things so much easier if you've got time, patience to learn, and a little change in your pockets.

• Like 1