UnevenEdge

Witcher trailer finally dropped

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Opium said:

This show sucks major ass. Not sure how they expected anyone who is unfamiliar with the games to follow this stupid shit with its Syfy original production and Disney princess musical numbers. Toss A Coin Out My Ass with this show

I followed along pretty well. *Shrug* I thought the show did a pretty good job of hinting at the different timelines. All you had to do was pay attention to the scenery and names of folks. Like the camera panning to a painting of the incest king when he was a little boy, so I was like "Ohhhh" when that little boy popped up in another scene. It is an old school Fantasy technique so even if I haven't seen it in a while, I'm still used to it. I can see why it would annoy other people though. 

Never played the games or read the books, but I really liked the show. It's nice having a Fantasy action show that doesn't take itself too seriously again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SorceressPol said:

I followed along pretty well. *Shrug* I thought the show did a pretty good job of hinting at the different timelines. All you had to do was pay attention to the scenery and names of folks. Like the camera panning to a painting of the incest king when he was a little boy, so I was like "Ohhhh" when that little boy popped up in another scene. It is an old school Fantasy technique so even if I haven't seen it in a while, I'm still used to it. I can see why it would annoy other people though. 

Never played the games or read the books, but I really liked the show. It's nice having a Fantasy action show that doesn't take itself too seriously again. 

Not even talking about the timelines. The lore is so haphazardly handled that even someone who knows the games (like me) can feel for those just checking it out.

They just don’t spend enough time on the world building. Yennefer and Ciri shouldn’t have been introduced till S2.

22 hours ago, Opium said:

Not even talking about the timelines. The lore is so haphazardly handled that even someone who knows the games (like me) can feel for those just checking it out.

They just don’t spend enough time on the world building. Yennefer and Ciri shouldn’t have been introduced till S2.

You do know that the show is based more off the books than the games, right? And it also might be a budget thing as far as worldbuilding goes. There's only so much they can do with a high fantasy series like this. Also, at the very least, not introducing Yennefer in the first season would have been a big mistake because I've heard as much about her as I have about Geralt from my friends who are fans of the books. The Fantasy genre has a healthy fan base of women who unsurprisingly like powerful female characters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

You do know that the show is based more off the books than the games, right? And it also might be a budget thing as far as worldbuilding goes. There's only so much they can do with a high fantasy series like this. Also, at the very least, not introducing Yennefer in the first season would have been a big mistake because I've heard as much about her as I have about Geralt from my friends who are fans of the books. The Fantasy genre has a healthy fan base of women who unsurprisingly like powerful female characters.

I'm aware they claim that as they lift the aesthetic, soundtrack, and Geralt's delivery straight from the games. The show doesn't know if it actually wants to adapt the book or the games and instead settles on some weird combination of both.

Also the format of books differ than film, so yeah, Yen not being in S1 would have served as a better introduction to Geralt and the world around him. Don't give a shit about the female empowerment thing and it has nothing to do with my point. I'm fine with Yen and Ciri as characters, I'm saying they should have been withheld as we got a firmer grasp of the world and witchers.

8 hours ago, Opium said:

I'm aware they claim that as they lift the aesthetic, soundtrack, and Geralt's delivery straight from the games. The show doesn't know if it actually wants to adapt the book or the games and instead settles on some weird combination of both.

Also the format of books differ than film, so yeah, Yen not being in S1 would have served as a better introduction to Geralt and the world around him. Don't give a shit about the female empowerment thing and it has nothing to do with my point. I'm fine with Yen and Ciri as characters, I'm saying they should have been withheld as we got a firmer grasp of the world and witchers.

Well Netflix gives a shit about how many people tuned in, so your scenario wasn't going to happen. The books and games are also selling out the ass right now, so it was the right decision.

Edited by DragonSinger

7 hours ago, Opium said:

Not if you're trying to introduce Yen as an equal to Geralt.  Not having read the books or played the game, I get the sense that Yen, Geralt, and Ciri are three of a kind, at least when it comes to being outsiders, so you would need to introuduce all of them before you can build a world around them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Well Netflix gives a shit about how many people tuned in, so your scenario wasn't going to happen. The books and games are also selling out the ass right now, so it was the right decision.

Lol sure, guy. Because people tuned in to watch The *Witcher* for Yen and Ciri.

I’m not arguing business. The product could have been better and more coherent had they taken it more seriously.

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Not if you're trying to introduce Yen as an equal to Geralt.  Not having read the books or played the game, I get the sense that Yen, Geralt, and Ciri are three of a kind, at least when it comes to being outsiders, so you would need to introuduce all of them before you can build a world around them.

Yen isn’t equal to Geralt. Geralt is the principal main character. The show is called The Witcher for a reason, not The Witcher and the Sorceress.

But I mean you haven’t read the books or have played the games so I get not getting it, especially considering your frame of reference being a shoddy imitation.

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I detect the ever so slight sense of sexism in your posts.....

But seriously, Geralt is certainly a focal point of the story, as he is in the books and the game no doubt, but that does not mean he's the sole principal character.  That clearly is not the case.

Yeah you do love a good reach, don’t you

Geralt is the character the narrative revolves around, period. It’s Geralt’s story, which is heavily impacted by Yen and Ciri but is first and foremost the story of a mutant hunting monsters and dodging the bureaucracy of humans.

I’m saying him being the sole principle character within a ‘monster-of-the-week’ framework would have been a better and more cohesive introduction. That’s it. Not that Yen and Ciri should be trashed.

12 hours ago, Opium said:

Yeah you do love a good reach, don’t you

Geralt is the character the narrative revolves around, period. It’s Geralt’s story, which is heavily impacted by Yen and Ciri but is first and foremost the story of a mutant hunting monsters and dodging the bureaucracy of humans.

I’m saying him being the sole principle character within a ‘monster-of-the-week’ framework would have been a better and more cohesive introduction. That’s it. Not that Yen and Ciri should be trashed.

Your first season sausage fest would have tanked. Fantasy shows are very hard to get off the ground, and Game of Thrones pissed in the pool with its shitshow ending. Whine all you want about the wimmenz taking some of Geralt's spotlight in the first season(which is what you're doing), but appealing to only fans like you won't bring the numbers Netflix is interested in for it to even reach a second season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Your first season sausage fest would have tanked. Fantasy shows are very hard to get off the ground, and Game of Thrones pissed in the pool with its shitshow ending. Whine all you want about the wimmenz taking some of Geralt's spotlight in the first season(which is what you're doing), but appealing to only fans like you won't bring the numbers Netflix is interested in for it to even reach a second season.

Oh so you’re retarded

Just now, stilgar said:

That sounds like fucking shit since Geralts part of the story was boring as fuck.

Yeah I agree, the show sucked. But that’s because the showrunners are hacks, not because a mutant with dual swords fucking up monsters isn’t a good idea.

1 minute ago, Opium said:

Yeah I agree, the show sucked. But that’s because the showrunners are hacks, not because a mutant with dual swords fucking up monsters isn’t a good idea.

It is a boring idea and they cast a boring actor to play him. But we all know that you are just upset that women were in the show for some reason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stilgar said:

It is a boring idea and they cast a boring actor to play him. But we all know that you are just upset that women were in the show for some reason.

Oh so you can’t read either, well done.

If Yen and Ciri were male I’d still say the same thing — they overstuffed the narrative in the first season. It was paced to shit. There are other females they could utilize that wouldn’t introduce such heavy backstory and three timelines at the jump without proper context.

But keep on thinking my hypothetical idea is dumb as though a fantasy show about monster hunting isn’t the main idea.

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

I have no idea why you entertained his stupidity with a reasonable response.  Now he's shitting all over himself.

Oh so you’re actually a wuss. Now that stilgar came in to give you a little rub you crawl out and try again.

I don’t give a shit if you fucks think I’m sexist. I don’t respect any of you enough to care.

22 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I have no idea why you entertained his stupidity with a reasonable response.  Now he's shitting all over himself.

That was the point, and I was procrastinating. Finishing The Punisher S1 is now my current distraction, so carry on with the main topic. 

Since The Witcher is new to me, I'm looking forward to how Geralt and Ciri interact in the next season. I really hope for some The Hound/Arya vibes from them.

• Like 2