UnevenEdge

Sword Art Online Alicization Episode #15 Discussion

Just now, DangerMouse said:

But he wiped the blood off his face and is now walking around perfectly ;)

They do that a lot in anime. Just walk on crippling injuries. A piercing shot like that would destroy tendons and ligaments. You wouldn't be able to walk. The loss in blood pressure from a hole like that would make you pass out instantly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I think she did a good job!

I have had some thoughts about this season of SAO: I wonder if Toonami actually had some creative input?

Think about it: the fact that there's an action scene in almost every episode--kinda feels like it's tailor-made for Toonami.

I also wonder if they're gonna try a quicker turnaround for the dub for the 2nd half?

10 hours ago, elfie said:

Laria Berens? ... didn't catch it. Whichever it is, it's an actor I never heard of before.

But you have heard them, though. She previously played Milluki (Killua's fat brother) in Hunter x Hunter, one of Sachio's friends in Megalobox, and the Roshambo kid in JoJo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

But you have heard them, though. She previously played Milluki (Killua's fat brother) in Hunter x Hunter, one of Sachio's friends in Megalobox, and the Roshambo kid in JoJo.

Well there are many characters that I don't look up in terms of their voices.

19 hours ago, ben0119 said:

And yet you still let them get close enough to you to stab you and Eugeo, Kirito.  You should have been suspicious from the moment you saw them!

It’s kinda BS but I think Kirito intentionally got stabbed in order to trick the girls. Then again, why even risk that? He should have been able to react after Eugeo got stabbed. Typical poorly thought out SAO writing I suppose.

Fanatio’s inferiority complex is pretty terrible. While I like that Kirito can admit he’s lost to swords women before, Fanatio’s whole deal is just frustrating to watch. I don’t think SAO is misogynistic the way some people do but this one character definitely makes a case for the argument.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, elfie said:

Man like 95% of this show is of dub actors I never heard of!

Given SAO is on its 3rd season, many of the familiar actors have already been in it and Mami Okada casting these for BangZoom has done a good job at not double casting. BZ is trying new people all the time now and also using more people who have done VO before but are barely in dubs. I think that’s great. Dubs are often criticized for using the same actors all the time.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It’s kinda BS but I think Kirito intentionally got stabbed in order to trick the girls. Then again, why even risk that? He should have been able to react after Eugeo got stabbed. Typical poorly thought out SAO writing I suppose.

Fanatio’s inferiority complex is pretty terrible. While I like that Kirito can admit he’s lost to swords women before, Fanatio’s whole deal is just frustrating to watch. I don’t think SAO is misogynistic the way some people do but this one character definitely makes a case for the argument.

Yeah I mean... what if the girls were going for the kill? How does he know they're not just going to kill them? Psychic?

Taking a dagger that size into your body would be crippling, blood would be everywhere. The author is just a hack, dude can't write.

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

At this point, I've learned to just stop questioning Kawahara when he does shit like this. If only it were that easy for the rest of you.

Suspension of disbelief isn't a good writing method. The guy just doesn't put any thought into these situations and it gets really old to see this kind of thing over and over.

The worst of course, being the 30 second hack into the worlds most advanced computer to save Yui.

The "I forgot why I did all this" moment is up there too.

All bad guys go rapey to show how bad they are.

Mountains of exposition in every freaking episode, doesn't believe in show don't tell eh?

The guy flat out can not write. He has the most popular girl in school fall in love with this fat midget because.... he's good at playing online squash. He just doesn't think anything through.

Accel.World.full.12589052.jpg

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Yeah and people say AccelWorld is his GOOD writing xD

I've seen people say that. They are incorrect. It's worse. And it's kind of a borefest. 

The MC girls entire motivation is to hit level 10. That's it. The MC guys main motivation is to help her reach level 10. No one knows what happens at level 10. Not very compelling, and probably why it never broke out and had the massive success that SAO did.

Also they just look ridiculous together.

Accel.World.full.1276739.jpg

7 hours ago, Daos said:

Suspension of disbelief isn't a good writing method. The guy just doesn't put any thought into these situations and it gets really old to see this kind of thing over and over.

My point exactly, sorta. Just as ridiculous things happening get tiresome the more they happen, the more normal they appear as they continue to happen after that.

Then again, I'm the type of person who doesn't get super-mad when things like Kirito using leet haxxor skills to save Yui at the literal last second, Kayaba forgetting his motivation over time, most villains' tendency to get super touchy-feely with their female victims, and Accel World's "ugly cute guy, cute cute girl" pair-up happen, so I wouldn't understand. I save my anger for annoying/needlessly violent harem comedy like Nyaruko-san or Infinite Stratos 2, or lack of basic human common sense, like when Kyosuke forgot to close the laptop in Oreimo 11. Easily a worse moment than the last three episodes, by a long shot.

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

Fanatio seems like she was created as a knee-jerk reaction to Reki finally finding out "oh wait My writing sucks!"

"Mountains of exposition" is actually a problem with a lot of light novels in general, not just in SAO.  Wow.  A medium that uses prose all the time could possibly only describe what's going on in 100% exposition? Color me shocked. A lot of writers only focus on how something sounds rather than focusing on something actively being done.

Edited by elfie

On 5/12/2019 at 8:35 PM, Sketch said:

Yeah and people say AccelWorld is his GOOD writing xD

Oh the other funny thing... people said this season of SAO WAS the well written SAO we'd all been waiting for.

I also forgot to mention the other major reason his writing blows monkey balls. Constant Deus Ex Machina.

Kayaba kills Kirito.... Kirito magically comes back to life to kill Kayaba and win SAO. No explanation given.

Sugou has GM powers and is totally invincible. Just kidding. Kayaba's AI ghost gives Kirito the code to totally undo all that. Wins easily.

And the one this season... If you think you're super powerful... YOU ARE SUPER POWERFUL! Gee no way that will come into play during the final battle.

The writing is so bad it's almost enough to make me stop fapping to Asuna and Kirito's cousin.

Hey now, that was the whole premise of Gurren Lagann and we gave THAT a pass!

Is this the best season of SAO yet? Yes, I'd say it is. If only because this VR world is so realistic they animate real blood and not that glowing triangles crap when someone dies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:45 PM, Daos said:

Oh the other funny thing... people said this season of SAO WAS the well written SAO we'd all been waiting for.

I also forgot to mention the other major reason his writing blows monkey balls. Constant Deus Ex Machina.

Kayaba kills Kirito.... Kirito magically comes back to life to kill Kayaba and win SAO. No explanation given.

Sugou has GM powers and is totally invincible. Just kidding. Kayaba's AI ghost gives Kirito the code to totally undo all that. Wins easily.

And the one this season... If you think you're super powerful... YOU ARE SUPER POWERFUL! Gee no way that will come into play during the final battle.

The writing is so bad it's almost enough to make me stop fapping to Asuna and Kirito's cousin.

Yeah it's the best written SAO but the time skips and rape comes back lol. 

Kayaba's AI ghost had been floating around before that though, right?

Apparently in the books Kirito imagines himself getting beaten by Kayaba, but then is like nuh-UH not gonna happen, and psychs himself up.  Not sure why this was shown as time rewinding in the anime but it doesn't come across well.

Edited by ben0119

On 5/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, Daos said:

I've seen people say that. They are incorrect. It's worse. And it's kind of a borefest. 

The MC girls entire motivation is to hit level 10. That's it. The MC guys main motivation is to help her reach level 10. No one knows what happens at level 10. Not very compelling, and probably why it never broke out and had the massive success that SAO did.

Also they just look ridiculous together.

Accel.World.full.1276739.jpg

He's not even just fat but drawn in a completely different art style lol.  Look at how big his head is compared to his body.  Really cartoonish. 

But yeah my friend was telling me Accel World is better than SAO.  Still haven't gotten around to watching it and not sure I should rush to it now after hearing all this haha.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:55 PM, DangerMouse said:

Huh. What woman has Kirito lost to besides maybe Yuuki?

Besides, Yuuki, well...

He lost all those fights with Liena, but obviously wasn't going all out.

He's lost real life kendo sparring sessions to Suguha, but Kirito doesn't actually have any athletic or fighting ability in real life, I don't think.

There was the draw to Sinon in GGO.  I heard that's a straight win for Sinon in the books but I haven't checked to make sure, or what the circumstances of said possible win were.

I don't think Kirito and Asuna did any training or sparring?  Seems like a missed opportunity there.