UnevenEdge

Update Regarding This Saturday's Schedule

Turns out we are getting double premiere episodes of SAO as we initially thought.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/153514229225

I'm honestly at a loss of what to think. I'm thankful that we're getting the rape out of the way already, disturbed that we're getting the rape so soon, and angered that Demarco's apparently gonna censor the rape even harder than Crunchyroll did. So yeah, a consensus thought is kind of difficult at the moment.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

when i hear "Heavily Edited" I Think the episode's gonna look choppy as hell when it comes to that part

which is funny considering when you hear the block's Name (Adultswim)  You Don't really think it sounds like a block that would be terrified of disturbing themes and nudity

Children shouldn't be awake at that time and the people who are watching shouldn't be shocked to see such content

I Mean It's SAO  You Kind of knew that stuff was in there

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Turns out we are getting double premiere episodes of SAO as we initially thought.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/153514229225

I'm honestly at a loss of what to think. I'm thankful that we're getting the rape out of the way already, disturbed that we're getting the rape so soon, and angered that Demarco's apparently gonna censor the rape even harder than Crunchyroll did. So yeah, a consensus thought is kind of difficult at the moment.

Well, what do you know. Between all the crap that went horribly wrong this week (bye bye AAF), SOMETHING is going right.

I just hope DirecTV fixes their damn guide in the next 3 days! The "rapey" episode of SAO-A is currently classified as "Megalo Box!"

He said it'd be "heavily edited", by which I assume he means they're just gonna use Crunchyroll's black-screen version, but the way he said it, it sounded like Turner S&P was taking it a step farther. And check this stupidity:

If there's something he can't see, it's that sexual assault is sexual content. No one ever said sexual content had to always be consensual! ¬¬

• D'oh 1

I would rather get the sexual assault out of the way. Having that episode air right before the premiere of The Promised Neverland is the worst thing you could do to that show. Plus, holding it off means you're airing a rerun where there shouldn't be, and that might bog down the ratings.

Just think... one more episode, and this stuff is behind us for the rest of the season, if not SAO's entire run.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, this was probably penned by Reki just before the era of #MeToo in late fall '17, but hopefully this anime adaptation is its last gasp.

In the era of MeToo, Reki better keep it clean!!

Actually this arc was penned by Reki way before than, even though he did make an effort to be a better writer.

7 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

The most GXP got edited from what I remember was a pixel mosaic over Amane's nipple-less boobs in episode 18.

To Think we live in a country that has no problem worshiping over the top violence but as soon as sexual content comes into play(or even just one exposed nipple)  that's when people are triggered and get uncomfortable

not when heads are being blown off and bodies sliced to bits but when A Woman without a top on shows up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Whatever Reki writes, he must also write rape. 9_9

Remember, an article came out that said his excuse was "well in Japan we don't have a problem with it and the light novels I read growing up had rape in them all the time." .... he is NOT making me confident about light novel fans!

31 minutes ago, elfie said:

Remember, an article came out that said his excuse was "well in Japan we don't have a problem with it and the light novels I read growing up had rape in them all the time." .... he is NOT making me confident about light novel fans!

to be fair though Japan doesn't seem to have much of an issue with that kind of stuff(And most Sexual Content Honestly)

it's violence and gore that they seem to have an issue with

where as it's the exact opposite with USA

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Actually this arc was penned by Reki way before than, even though he did make an effort to be a better writer.

Well, that proves my point. It was written BEFORE the #MeToo movement really gained traction; I was just mistaken about HOW FAR before it was written.

But I'm sure since late fall '17 Reki has been behaving himself, which means no more half-baked Sexual Assault Online arcs...

[we can only hope...]

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, that proves my point. It was written BEFORE the #MeToo movement really gained traction; I was just mistaken about HOW FAR before it was written.

But I'm sure since late fall '17 Reki has been behaving himself, which means no more half-baked Sexual Assault Online arcs...

[we can only hope...]

... is the MeToo movement strong in Japan?? I never thought so.

13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

[we can only hope...]

Does The #metoo Movement mean any discussion or depiction of sexual assault isn't allowed in media or something?

• Haha 1

A couple additional comments:

First, the revised Saturday schedule is out, and SAO:A 10 will be rated TV-MASV, a first for the SAO franchise. This leads me to believe either Demarco's lying about the episode requiring heavy edits, Turner S&P is overblowing things like when they gave lazily KLK a TV-MAS minimum every episode, or maybe the complaints really are justified. Either way, it just doesn't sit right, y'know?

Meanwhile, Demarco's a blind idiot.

SAO airs on a block aimed at adults but still has to be edited? I've seen worse things on Family Guy that were apparently fine to air unedited. Is it because it's a comedy so it's not taken as seriously or what? I know you said S&P decides but do you at least know what factors into those decisions?

I have no idea what factors in their decisions, but I’m certain you never saw sexual assault on an episode of Family Guy!

You have to be a blind idiot to think Family Gore hasn't had its share of inappropriate rape jokes.

Edited by PokeNirvash

ah yes, the corpse fucking in Hellsing Ultimate doesn't get an S but a scene that, as far as i saw in a clip of the scene, has nothing that needs to be edited gets one. and wasn't the corpse fucking also just slightly cropped? can't speak to the violence in the episode, but they recently gave an episode a TV-PG-SV where the S was for what, a woman lying in bed? and episode 6 was TV-PG-V despite the words "goddammit" and "son of a bitch." their s&p department has always been dumb as hell though so why am i even bothering...

• Like 1

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

Turner should just fire the obvious crotchety old guys running S&P and hire me on full-time. As I've demonstrated throughout this forum, I can rate an anime program better than they can, and their guidelines helped shape my guidelines!

they have guidelines? O.o

Trust me, you really don't want to see the unedited version.  I mean, there's something to be said for keeping and respecting art in its original form, but that episode is fucking disturbing.  And yes, it's better to air both episodes back to back and get it out of the way.

I was going to wait to post this until during or after the episode aired, but since people be misquoting and fake news-ing up in this thread (some spoilers) -

Spoiler

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-11/reki-kawahara-apologizes-to-voice-actors-for-latest-sword-art-online-episode/.140635

Sword Art Online author Reki Kawahara took to Twitter to apologize to the anime's voice actors after the latest episode of Sword Art Online: Alicization aired on Saturday night. The episode is widely considered the most graphic and violent of the series to date. The episode streamed on Crunchyroll opens with a content warning for "violence and sexual assault."

Kawahara said: "Ms. Ishihara, who plays Tiese, and Ms. Kondo, who plays Ronye, both performed a painful scene with aplomb. Thank you so much! And I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Reina Kondo responded to Kawahara's tweet, saying, "Thank you! I think that everyone became stronger because of the experience! I will continue to work hard alongside Ronye. I'm looking forward to what happens next."

In a later tweet, Kawahara expressed further ambivalence about the episode's content and offered an explanation for why the series contains multiple instances of sexual assault. "This may be a bit late, but if you're wondering why SAO has so many of those scenes, a considerable number of light novels (although they weren't called light novels back then), epic sagas, and adventure stories I read back in middle school contained those plot elements. I would cite Ōgun Hakusha (Gold Spur) as a representative title. My writing was bound to that as if it were under a spell.

"These days, the spell has finally worn off. Nowadays I would prefer to express catharsis through other means. If it was an absolutely necessary scene for the story, I would write it, but I would prefer to do that in a book that isn't a light novel."

Kawahara also indicated his surprise at the anime adaptation, which he believes made the content in his novels even more extreme. "I believe that the level of grittiness in SAO is extremely average for light novels. The directing, animation, and voice acting in the anime are too powerful, which has absolutely boosted the impact [of the scenes]. Who would have thought Raios would make such an exaggerated jump...!"

So, Reki apologized for the scene, and said he isn't going to put rape in his stories anymore.  He said he was influenced by light novels he read in middle school that had rape in them.  I would say that someone shouldn't be reading stories with rape in them at that age, but I can't remember what grade we read To Kill a Mocking Bird in.  I think it may have been before high school.  Either way, I doubt the books Reki read were trying to impart any such wisdom on these issues the way To Kill a Mocking Bird was.  And apparently the anime made it even worse and more over-the-top?!  Why?!  Are the SAO anime staff known for making stuff so over-the-top?  Is that why some of the villains act like they came out of Deadman Wonderland?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:41 PM, PokeNirvash said:

A couple additional comments:

First, the revised Saturday schedule is out, and SAO:A 10 will be rated TV-MASV, a first for the SAO franchise. This leads me to believe either Demarco's lying about the episode requiring heavy edits, Turner S&P is overblowing things like when they gave lazily KLK a TV-MAS minimum every episode, or maybe the complaints really are justified. Either way, it just doesn't sit right, y'know?

Meanwhile, Demarco's a blind idiot.

You have to be a blind idiot to think Family Gore hasn't had its share of inappropriate rape jokes.

Hey, your obsession with content ratings is actually useful for once! :P

I wouldn't be surprised if the version that airs is just the Crunchroll version.  Though to be fair, this scene is far worse than the other rape scenes SAO had, at least in my view.  I guess if people really need to see it they can go to Hulu.  That version wasn't edited from what I could tell.  Either way, they can't edit out too much, or the episode and the rest of the plot won't make sense.

Well, there's a difference between rape jokes and showing actual rape.  Like people mentioned though, we've seen far worse in terms of gore.  And there was corpse fucking in Hellsing Ultimate?  I don't remember that, but I'm not going to have that in my search history either, so I'll take the guy's word for it. xD

There was also this -

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/aqua-teen-hunger-force/hand-banana

I guess since the anime is more realistically drawn and Aqua Teen is playing it for comedy that makes it okay??

Oh yeah, now I remember.  How much of that got shown on Toonami, though?

Youtube will leave just about anything up, until advertisers throw a fit hahaha.

Also, Demarco elaborated on this after someone asked him about it underneath that tweet.  I don't know if everyone else saw this yet.

I mostly agree with what he said here.  At least Reki seems to have learned that he shouldn't so casually include this stuff.  I wish other Japanese creators would.  Demarco justifies the edits with the fact that Reki himself regretted including the scene.  I'd also add on that the anime apparently ratcheted up what was depicted in the original book anyway.

I'm sure no one is surprised to learn that Demarco isn't a fan of ecchi.

So no matter when SAO ep 10 aired, it would've needed these edits (whatever they are.)  But surely that doesn't also mean Hellsing could have aired at any time as it was?  Well, Deadman Wonderland did once air very early in the block, but I'm not sure the block started so early back then.  Oh yeah, Attack on Titan started off the block before.  So, I guess there really is no consideration for where things air in terms of content.  I was under the impression they wouldn't put anything on too graphic that was the beginning of the block, early enough in the evening that kids could watch it, or too late, so late that it's very early in the morning where kids could also see it.  Or maybe that was just an ASA thing.  I dunno.

• Confused 1

Well, Hellsing Ultimate aired that episode at 2 AM, and Deadman Wonderland aired at 12:30.

Attack on Titan aired at 11:30. I think the magic number might be 11.

The shonens that will be airing at 11 and 11:30 in the new schedule, DBS and MHA, are still SOMEWHAT kid-friendly--well at least as much as Family Guy, so there might be a "midnight barrier" for content like SAO will be presenting tomorrow night.

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Trust me, you really don't want to see the unedited version.  I mean, there's something to be said for keeping and respecting art in its original form, but that episode is fucking disturbing.  And yes, it's better to air both episodes back to back and get it out of the way.

I was going to wait to post this until during or after the episode aired, but since people be misquoting and fake news-ing up in this thread (some spoilers) -

Hide contents

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-11/reki-kawahara-apologizes-to-voice-actors-for-latest-sword-art-online-episode/.140635

Sword Art Online author Reki Kawahara took to Twitter to apologize to the anime's voice actors after the latest episode of Sword Art Online: Alicization aired on Saturday night. The episode is widely considered the most graphic and violent of the series to date. The episode streamed on Crunchyroll opens with a content warning for "violence and sexual assault."

Kawahara said: "Ms. Ishihara, who plays Tiese, and Ms. Kondo, who plays Ronye, both performed a painful scene with aplomb. Thank you so much! And I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Reina Kondo responded to Kawahara's tweet, saying, "Thank you! I think that everyone became stronger because of the experience! I will continue to work hard alongside Ronye. I'm looking forward to what happens next."

In a later tweet, Kawahara expressed further ambivalence about the episode's content and offered an explanation for why the series contains multiple instances of sexual assault. "This may be a bit late, but if you're wondering why SAO has so many of those scenes, a considerable number of light novels (although they weren't called light novels back then), epic sagas, and adventure stories I read back in middle school contained those plot elements. I would cite Ōgun Hakusha (Gold Spur) as a representative title. My writing was bound to that as if it were under a spell.

"These days, the spell has finally worn off. Nowadays I would prefer to express catharsis through other means. If it was an absolutely necessary scene for the story, I would write it, but I would prefer to do that in a book that isn't a light novel."

Kawahara also indicated his surprise at the anime adaptation, which he believes made the content in his novels even more extreme. "I believe that the level of grittiness in SAO is extremely average for light novels. The directing, animation, and voice acting in the anime are too powerful, which has absolutely boosted the impact [of the scenes]. Who would have thought Raios would make such an exaggerated jump...!"

So, Reki apologized for the scene, and said he isn't going to put rape in his stories anymore.  He said he was influenced by light novels he read in middle school that had rape in them.  I would say that someone shouldn't be reading stories with rape in them at that age, but I can't remember what grade we read To Kill a Mocking Bird in.  I think it may have been before high school.  Either way, I doubt the books Reki read were trying to impart any such wisdom on these issues the way To Kill a Mocking Bird was.  And apparently the anime made it even worse and more over-the-top?!  Why?!  Are the SAO anime staff known for making stuff so over-the-top?  Is that why some of the villains act like they came out of Deadman Wonderland?

Indeed. Those who don't want to get too angry should definitely read Reki's quotes beforehand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'd replace 6AM with 5AM, since 5 to 6 is a transition hour back to Cartoon Network. There's a reason they aired PG episodes of Aqua Teen to finish off Coin Hunt in 2015, and why the 5AM episode of Gemusetto Machu Picchu wasn't MA like the rest this year.

Metalocalypse, Ghost in the Shell, Stroker & Hoop, Trinity Blood, The Rising Son, The Venture Bros., The Boondocks, Robot Chicken, Code Geass, etc.

22 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wait, To Kill A Mockingbird had rape in it? Somehow I don't remember...

28 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Wait, To Kill A Mockingbird had rape in it? Somehow I don't remember...

Srsly? It's the entire basis of the story. A black man accused of a rape he couldn't possibly have committed due to only having one good arm.

• Like 2