UnevenEdge

Do you think Toonami has too much fantasy?

2019 seems to be the year of the Fantasy sub-genre on Toonami--but is it too much? Let's examine:

• Dragon Ball Super - Martial arts multiverse fantasy/sci-fi
  • Boruto - Modern-day-esque ninja society fantasy
  • My Hero Academia - Superhero sci-fi/fantasy
  • Sword Art Online - VR Sci-Fi...with fantasy overtones
  • MegaloBox - Sports/political sci-fi
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Super-ability horror fantasy
  • Black Clover - Magic-based fantasy
  • Hunter x Hunter - (currently) …chimera ant fantasy??
  • Shippuden - Slightly less modern-day ninja society fantasy
  • Attack on Titan - apocalyptic dark fantasy

The only show missing fantasy overtones is Megalobox--and that's only got 3 episodes left. Since Pop Team Epic and Gundam IBO left the block, it's been lacking a lot of variety. It is quite easy to argue that it's taking more of a fantasy bent these days than ever before, though the first half is quite well-laced with sci-fi as well (yes, I have to give it to DBS since the multiverse is kind of a sci-fi concept).

To me, "fantasy" means that the main setting - assuming humans are native - is not Earth as we know it, no IRL country namedrops or nothing. To that end, I'd say that MHA, Megalobox, JoJo, and maybe SAO are the only non-fantasies. And I say maybe on SAO because outside of the VR worlds (Aincrad, Alfheim, GGO Land, Underworld), it still takes place on our Earth.

• Like 1

This may be helpful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy

I guess JoJo doesn't really fit into the "fantasy" sub-genre either, but since it takes place in 1999, it also CAN'T be sci-fi. It may have been when it was written, but in modern day it feels more like "historical fiction", though a bow and arrow that causes people to be able to control their life energy in super-powered ways is certainly a fantasy concept. I guess that's the wonderful thing about JoJo: it really doesn't fit nicely into any sub-genre.

As for SAO, though improbable that we will ever reach that level of sophistication by the 2020's with virtual reality at this point, it is currently sci-fi. However, yes, the VR worlds have an abject fantasy overtone. In time (well beyond its airing on Toonami), it may be seen as "historical fiction" as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Is_Unbreakable

This confirms that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4 was written in 1992-1995. Therefore, indeed a story set in 1999 was at the time post-modern science fiction. But nowadays with the anime and its Toonami run, it can only be considered "historical fiction," and of course we also have a wonderful song from the period used as its ending theme!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Official Genre list according to MAL

Super -  ActionAdventureComedySuper PowerMartial ArtsFantasyShounen

Boruto - ActionAdventureMartial ArtsShounenSuper Power

MHA - ActionComedySchoolShounenSuper Power

SAO - ActionAdventureFantasyGameRomance

Megalobox - ActionSci-FiSlice of LifeSportsDrama

Jojo - ActionAdventureComedySupernaturalDramaShounen

BC - ActionComedyMagicFantasyShounen

HxH - ActionAdventureFantasyShounenSuper Power

Naruto - ActionAdventureComedySuper PowerMartial ArtsShounen

AOT - ActionMilitaryMysterySuper PowerDramaFantasyShounen

I would say aside from AOT and BC nothing else would qualify as a fantasy anime. The rest with the fantasy tag just have a few fantasy elements.

Edited by Daos
  • Like 2

I don't think so. I think these things tend to go in waves and it's just that these sort of animes are popular and they have access to them all at the same time. As other stuff comes available, things might shift towards another genre. Megalobox seems to be testing the waters to see if slice-of-life sports dramas can hold ratings. 

But I will also admit to my bias because I like all the current offerings. Whenever something like Gundam was on, I'd mute things. At least I'm honest about it! :D

Sword Art Online, Megalobox, and Attack on Titan are what I follow most. I'm considering dropping MHA because it runs like a Naruto clone with different animation and the sappiness, weak music, and over the top voice acting is killing it.

Gundam Unicorn and Outlaw Star were infinitely better than any of the shonen. Tokyo Ghoul was even better than the shonen. Guess they weren't renewed

Edited by Zenigundam
  • D'oh 3

4 hours ago, Daos said:

Official Genre list according to MAL

Super -  ActionAdventureComedySuper PowerMartial ArtsFantasyShounen

Boruto - ActionAdventureMartial ArtsShounenSuper Power

MHA - ActionComedySchoolShounenSuper Power

SAO - ActionAdventureFantasyGameRomance

Megalobox - ActionSci-FiSlice of LifeSportsDrama

Jojo - ActionAdventureComedySupernaturalDramaShounen

BC - ActionComedyMagicFantasyShounen

HxH - ActionAdventureFantasyShounenSuper Power

Naruto - ActionAdventureComedySuper PowerMartial ArtsShounen

AOT - ActionMilitaryMysterySuper PowerDramaFantasyShounen

I would say aside from AOT and BC nothing else would qualify as a fantasy anime. The rest with the fantasy tag just have a few fantasy elements.

Well, I say, that's pretty interesting! Why don't we compare it with the official genre lists on Anime News Network, since I am kind of an "ANN Loyalist":

Dragon Ball Super:
Genres: action, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: aliens, developing powers, fighting, martial arts, superheros

Boruto: NOTHING, but for the Boruto movie, we have this:
Genres: action
Themes: ninja

My Hero Academia (Note: Article is Season 1):
Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: developing powers, growing up pains, school life, special abilities, superheroes, superpowers

Sword Art Online: Alicization:
Genres: action, drama, fantasy, science fiction
Themes (from SAO Ordinal Scale): augmented reality, MMORPG, survival game, swordplay, virtual reality

Megalobox:
Genres: drama, science fiction, tournament
Themes: boxing, future, sports

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable:
Genres: action, supernatural

Black Clover:
Genres: action, comedy, fantasy

Hunter X Hunter:
Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, tournament
Themes: bounty hunters, coming-of-age, developing powers, gore, organized crime, special abilities, survival game

Naruto Shippuden:
Genres: action, drama
Themes: evil organization, fighting, ninja, powerful creatures, revenge, war

Attack On Titan

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, horror, psychological, thriller
Themes: Dystopia, military, post-apocalyptic, shapeshifting, superpowers, titans/giants, tragedy

Hmmm, both 5/10! So I guess the lineup could be considered to be "half-fantasy", though why the Naruto franchise isn't considered fantasy is beyond me.

And just in case you were wondering, as for the other shows that have left the lineup so far in 2019 (for whatever reason):

Mob Psycho 100 - Genres: action, comedy, supernatural; Themes: espers, special abilities, superpowers
Pop Team Epic - Genres: comedy; Themes: absurdity, parody, sketch comedy
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (Season 2) - Genres: action, drama, science fiction; Themes: mecha, military, politics, space, war

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 3/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Crest Of The Stars has the single worst dub I've ever heard (or pretty close behind "Big Green" at least).

I've heard far worse.  It's definitely rough, especially the supporting characters, but Jinto and Lafiel's actors get more comfortable in their roles, and Banner's dub is a definite improvement.  I'd certainly say Utena's sounded worse from the bits I've heard of it.  That's a series that absolutely relies on emotional nuance, so a mediocre dub harmed it much more than Crest/Banner.

The problem with this question is that it has too many variables and is too obtuse to answer. This block is airing shows like the Dragon Balls and Narutos that are such eclectic mixes of genres and are very hard to pin down. For instance, the former has the typical sci-fi elements of traveling through space/between universes and dimensions as well as alien races, but some of the aliens have powers that are in the realm of the fantastic. There are more casual elements of a fantasy thrown in as comedic relief, which I assume were more prominent in the first DB series, but I don't know for sure.

Additionally, most arcs of Hunter × Hunter (I would except Greed Island) aren't fantasies. They're action-adventure stories with heavy supernatural elements (like JoJo's), and then you have Chimera Ant with its psychological thriller bent.

• Thanks 1