UnevenEdge

Live Q&A Pre-Flight Episode in January

The1gairon

Remember when Toonami had regular Q&A sessions from fans?  I sure do!  Jason and Gill and possibly others will host a live Q&A Pre-Flight episode on Friday January 26th, the same time of the day as other episodes (8 PM EST).  This changed from its previous date of January 12th. 

You can ask them anything on this FB post that they will use for the recording.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blatch said:

This ended up being one of those nothingburgers, didn't it? :|

It didn’t happen yet.

But yeah, probably one part Dandy praise, one part Netflix bashing.  

“Pfff!  Devilman and Godzilla?  Sure one became an instant phenomenon and the other’s iconic, but we have Dandy!  That’s...way better.  Seriously.”

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jman said:

It didn’t happen yet.

But yeah, probably one part Dandy praise, one part Netflix bashing.  

“Pfff!  Devilman and Godzilla?  Sure one became an instant phenomenon and the other’s iconic, but we have Dandy!  That’s...way better.  Seriously.”

I do not find it surprising that a good chunk of Jason and Gill's most anticipated 2018 shows covered in the last Pre-Flight were Netflix shows.  They admitted to praising one of their rivals.

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately, Elfie has your covered with this

Comprehensive List Of Highlight Answers From The Live Q&A

- Before they were canceled, they wanted to get Angel Links, the spin-off to Outlaw Star, but in the end they considered it too sexy for the young-boy demographic on cable TV.

- They are funding another installment of the Scavengers short and will eventually air it on Toonami as a premiere.

- They reinforce their intention not to have a Total Immersion Event in 2018. Instead you might see new rooms, new Clydes, or any other smaller additions.

- Current Top 5 Requests 2018 have not been calculated but they include My Hero Academia, and more One Punch Man whenever that arrives.

- "It was the network's priority" to move the block earlier in the night.  Ratings are less important than ever now.

- Streaming services make very draconian licensing deals that often cause it to take years to get one of their shows onto another platform.

- There will be more merch, probably around the time FLCL will air, so they'll most likely be FLCL-themed.

- Likelihood of another Toonami Megamix is 50-50.  

- Outlaw Star Ep 22 will air with "shockingly minor edits" in February.

- In response to the question why does Toonami only air on Saturdays, DeMarco sarcastically told everyone to keep calling him every Pre-Flight for expansion, and call every office related to Toonami since they LOOOOOOOOOOVE that SOOO much.

- To clear the air, DeMarco LIKES Fairy Tail, they just don't have room on the block or the right deals to get it.

- Miguzi was almost called Mizugi, which is Japanese for "swimsuit", but they weren't allowed to use it.

- Very-very-slim-to-no chance of a Toonami cable channel. "It is now the most expensive as it's ever been to start a new cable channel, and yet also you see the least returns than it's ever been".

- They doubt they'll be able to show Tenchi Muyo again due to the nudity, but Yu Yu Hakkusho is still a possibility.

- They aren't sure how to bring the same # of people back to watching cable as there have been 1.5 years ago.

- They DO think about bringing back GUNDAM Wing. They "can't really say anything more than that".  Hmmmmmm.

- They would like to get the second season of Tokyo Ghoul but since the anime hasn't started in Japan yet, there's no activity so far.

- More mobile games coming to the game review segment!

- Special one-nights for a very short series marathon premiere? It's a cost-benefit thing. It would have to be something they really love, and it's still a lot of money for one night. It's not impossible though.  It would be more likely than a movie night!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I actually watched it, but without sound, so I couldn't hear anything they said. But judging by the reactions of the live chat, it was apparently a nothingburger after all.

In particular, there was one guy in the chat who just spammed the same question of if they would air Shelter: The Animation again, but as the full version this time. I have no idea why you'd make such a big deal about that when it's available to stream on Crunchyroll for free 365 days a year, but... yeah.

Or rather, there's a short version, which Toonami aired. It effectively removed the entire plot, including a brief prologue where the protagonist said something. And that's why people were disappointed, because they thought a subbed anime would finally air on the block.

Edited by Blatch

On 1/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, elfie said:

- Streaming services make very draconian licensing deals that often cause it to take years to get one of their shows onto another platform.

Well, we knew that already.  Of course it won't stop people from repeatedly asking for shows that are on lock down, but still, it's nice for them to put that out there.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, elfie said:

- To clear the air, DeMarco LIKES Fairy Tail, they just don't have room on the block or the right deals to get it.

At least he finally watched it!  And it's good to hear he likes it.  Unfortunate about not being able to air it.  The room I get but I wonder what the issue with the deals are.

I do wish I hadn't saved it for Toonami.  I loved Rave Master, so I was naturally interested in Fairy Tail.  My plan was to read the manga then watch the anime.  I read the first volume and liked it, but got sidetracked somehow for whatever reason.  I later decided I would just wait until it ended up on the block.  Seemed inevitable, right?  My idea was it would be more enjoyable to watch with everyone else than on my own.  But it never panned out.  The time has flown and now the manga is over. D: I did start watching the series a couple years ago though. *sigh* At least I can catch up and watch the last part of the anime with everyone I guess.

Edited by ben0119

I kinda hate anytime they have the topic "most hated (something)" because it turns into 45 minutes of DeMarco saying "I hate this and anyone who likes it can fuck themselves", even though I know he's just talking out of human informality.  If I wanted that, I'd watch most Youtubers. :P