UnevenEdge

Do you still listen to music from when you were young

NSAID

How much middle/high school music are you still listening to on a regular basis? Still hit the fall out boy when you're wasted or what.

I listen to almost everything I've ever listened to, but that's because in the high school days I had a bunch of free time and Internet I didn't pay for to find a shit load of music. And from before that, I'm here to tell you Ace of Base still rocks. What about yall?

Eh...

I mean some of the stuff has held up pretty well; Tool is still a pretty good band, but I'm not obsessed with them like I was.

For the most part no though; after high school and around my early 20's my tastes kind of refined into more obscure versions of the more mainstream things I had been listening to.

Then into my mid to late 20s, I kind of let go of the "fetishization" of my particular tastes, branched out into other slightly obscure genres, finally I'm mostly just "fuck it, listen to the work radio, get happy when there's a halfway decent song on." 

I have a few bands' CDs that I listened to in middle/high school on my phone that some times come up on shuffle, such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors. But I never really make the conscious decision to listen to them. Other than that, last year I put on a few AC/DC CDs sporadically, and AC/DC is the first band I was ever interested in, when I was like 9 or 10 years old.  

I listen to system of a down every now and then, and some of the old school 80s metal that helped first get me into metal.  There's a few bands that i recall listening to a shitload and for whatever reason now, I don't even have their music anymore.  Part of me would like to listen again, I think, but also part of me grew out of a few of them.  There's nostalgia boners for some of them, and also some of them are legitimately good musicians, but there's a few where I can be a music snob now and look back and spit on my past child self for being a fool.

Music is one of the few things I get nostalgic about, so if I'm feeling like it, I'll pop in a playlist of songs from the mid-90's to 2000 that I remember when I was way younger. Even more occasionally, I'll dip into a playlist of songs from the Aughts to bring that feeling of middle/high school back.

Nowadays I'm mostly listening to Indie music, R&B, or rap, but I toggle in nostalgia playlists every so often.

Edited by imchapp.in

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:39 PM, NSAID said:

How much middle/high school music are you still listening to on a regular basis? Still hit the fall out boy when you're wasted or what.

I listen to almost everything I've ever listened to, but that's because in the high school days I had a bunch of free time and Internet I didn't pay for to find a shit load of music. And from before that, I'm here to tell you Ace of Base still rocks. What about yall?

Not really any of it aside from a few songs that give me nostalgic feelings.

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, January 08, 2018 at 6:39 PM, NSAID said:

Songs like C'est Si Bon (Eartha Kitt) still catch my attention.  It brings me back to when singers didn't scream and musicians knew how to play unplugged instruments.