UnevenEdge

Samurai Jack airs at 8:30 (from the beginning) starting next week

Blatch

Yeah, but we used to get 6 hours of packaging a week. You're telling me we couldn't get 5 now?

I wonder how long the new 8 PM Action Hour has to run as such before it gets unique packaging? Or maybe an hour just isn't enough for packaging? But remember, the weeknight Toonami Midnight Run from 2001-2003 was also only an hour!

a real shame that the only shows that can grab a decent audience according to toonami and [as] execs are this and dbz

awful

i agree the fact that DBZ is the only anime that they even give a shot at an earlier time is insane...that's already a proven name!  why not promote stuff you haven't promoted like crazy?

a real shame that the only shows that can grab a decent audience according to toonami and [as] execs are this and dbz

awful

Extra airings cost more money, so they're rather reluctant to have them in such a dead time for Adult Swim. Yes 8pm-9pm is dead time to Adult Swim and that's why it's usually occupied with King of the Hill or another largely PG comedy. Adult Swim has prime time hours now but it still puts its premieres after 10pm and usually after 11pm to avoid network television premieres. Even channels like Comedy Central don't use 8pm for new stuff and start premieres at 10pm.

DBZ Kai encored at 8pm for a time just to see how that would do but it seems that Super premieres at 8pm is a mandate from Toei and Adult Swim is not acknowledging that airing at all. Jack reruns joining it does indicate they want to try to take advantage of the mandate though.

I imagine another thing to consider is the content of the shows. Samurai Jack is Y7-FV and fit for any time. Dragon Ball Super and DBZ Kai will be largely TV-PG and totally safe for 8pm. One Piece was tried briefly at 8:30pm and it is also pretty tame most of the time.

JoJos regularly reaches TV-MA and the rest of the shows on Toonami regularly reach TV-14-V. So on top of  costing a decent amount of money to air the likes of Hunter x Hunter, Naruto Shippuden, Gundam Unicorn, JoJos, One-Punch Man, etc. The'd have to be edited to air at 8pm directly after Cartoon Network time and editing also costs money.

If this 8pm hour does exceedingly well they could feasibly air One Piece, DBZ Kai, Shippuden and maybe Hunter x Hunter (at least for now) 8pm-10pm but shows like JoJo would have to be after 10pm or even 11pm.

I do hope some day that Toonami could air entirely in the first half of Saturday night starting with their shounen onslaught and continuing into more mature series. Comedy could have the other half of the night for all I care. Premieres after 2am are the pits anyway.

Yes, Jman, a TV-Y7 show following a TV-PG one is awkward as hell, but that doesn't change the fact that it's prep for the new season that will finally shut you-know-who up, wherever she may be.

funny story is that Steven Universe is a PG show and is part of Cartoon network rather than AS

would it be incorrect to assume that AS is just defaulting the 8:00 to 8:30 hour back to CN and that the 8PM airings of DBsuper are basically just DBZ's return to cartoon network?

funny story is that Steven Universe is a PG show and is part of Cartoon network rather than AS

would it be incorrect to assume that AS is just defaulting the 8:00 to 8:30 hour back to CN and that the 8PM airings of DBsuper are basically just DBZ's return to cartoon network?

Nope, it's still Adult Swim no matter how much it feels like "old CN" because "old CN" is dead as you know.

i agree the fact that DBZ is the only anime that they even give a shot at an earlier time is insane...that's already a proven name!  why not promote stuff you haven't promoted like crazy?

costs $$$, which [as] is more than willing to spend on dumb things but not on promoting a block you've never really given a fair chance at being really successful to begin with afaik

Extra airings cost more money, so they're rather reluctant to have them in such a dead time for Adult Swim. Yes 8pm-9pm is dead time to Adult Swim and that's why it's usually occupied with King of the Hill or another largely PG comedy. Adult Swim has prime time hours now but it still puts its premieres after 10pm and usually after 11pm to avoid network television premieres. Even channels like Comedy Central don't use 8pm for new stuff and start premieres at 10pm.

DBZ Kai encored at 8pm for a time just to see how that would do but it seems that Super premieres at 8pm is a mandate from Toei and Adult Swim is not acknowledging that airing at all. Jack reruns joining it does indicate they want to try to take advantage of the mandate though.

I imagine another thing to consider is the content of the shows. Samurai Jack is Y7-FV and fit for any time. Dragon Ball Super and DBZ Kai will be largely TV-PG and totally safe for 8pm. One Piece was tried briefly at 8:30pm and it is also pretty tame most of the time.

JoJos regularly reaches TV-MA and the rest of the shows on Toonami regularly reach TV-14-V. So on top of  costing a decent amount of money to air the likes of Hunter x Hunter, Naruto Shippuden, Gundam Unicorn, JoJos, One-Punch Man, etc. The'd have to be edited to air at 8pm directly after Cartoon Network time and editing also costs money.

If this 8pm hour does exceedingly well they could feasibly air One Piece, DBZ Kai, Shippuden and maybe Hunter x Hunter (at least for now) 8pm-10pm but shows like JoJo would have to be after 10pm or even 11pm.

I do hope some day that Toonami could air entirely in the first half of Saturday night starting with their shounen onslaught and continuing into more mature series. Comedy could have the other half of the night for all I care. Premieres after 2am are the pits anyway.

i dont really care for extra airings tbh, i think it'd maybe even be a waste of money in toonami's current state

now i haven't checked ratings in a long ass time so maybe this is all misinformed

but really, what i've always wanted was for the block to start at 11.

now that changed with all the shonen, so really it'd have to start at 10 i guess.

back in 2014,  i think was the best chance to make aot premiere at 11 and heavily promote it etc to cross over it's popularity to casual viewers, etc

i forgot what the lead in was at the time, but i dont think its crazy to think aot could've gotten 2 million consistently with it's lead in. i doubt that there's many series that could match that, but [as] were never really on board with the toonami crew to make a concentrated effort to push toonami's popularity further anyway.

i think it's reasonable to think that there's 2 million weebs in the u.s who don't really watch anything else, and if given the option would rather watch dub premieres the first 2-3 hours 11-2 instead of whatever comedy central, fx, or usa air and give you great ratings.

we never really got that outside of 2014, which is a shame cause all things considered aot did really good.

i dont really care for extra airings tbh, i think it'd maybe even be a waste of money in toonami's current state

now i haven't checked ratings in a long ass time so maybe this is all misinformed

but really, what i've always wanted was for the block to start at 11.

now that changed with all the shonen, so really it'd have to start at 10 i guess.

back in 2014,  i think was the best chance to make aot premiere at 11 and heavily promote it etc to cross over it's popularity to casual viewers, etc

i forgot what the lead in was at the time, but i dont think its crazy to think aot could've gotten 2 million consistently with it's lead in. i doubt that there's many series that could match that, but [as] were never really on board with the toonami crew to make a concentrated effort to push toonami's popularity further anyway.

i think it's reasonable to think that there's 2 million weebs in the u.s who don't really watch anything else, and if given the option would rather watch dub premieres the first 2-3 hours 11-2 instead of whatever comedy central, fx, or usa air and give you great ratings.

we never really got that outside of 2014, which is a shame cause all things considered aot did really good.

Oh I agree, additional airings are pretty dang pointless and I don't expect them to ever encore more than two aciton shows the same night again. If the 8pm action hour does well then maybe then it'd be great if they moved Shippuden and One Piece to prime time. They probably wont do worse in the 9pm hour than they do in the 2am hour.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here but Titan never got 2 million.

The best Titan managed was around 1.5 million but it rarely broke 1.3 million, about 8 times out of 25.

It didn't have Family Guy as a lead-in though, which DBZ and now DBS have so it's difficult to say how well it might have done if Family Guy was the show before it. Though I think tone-wise The Boondocks made for a better lead-in for a Attack on Titan because it doesn't have the goofiness Dragon Ball series regularly display.

The episodes of Family Guy airing direclty before Toonami have been very important to the block's success since 2015. We are nowhere near the point where Adult Swim would consider airing a Saturday without an hour of Family Guy to draw in the general audience and the later Family Guy airs in the 10-12am timeframe the better it usually does due to less compeition. Pushing it even a half hour earlier for Dragon Ball Super poses a risk but far less of one than most anime would simply because it's the first new episodes of Dragon Ball in English in quite some time. That and new seasons of Samurai Jack and Attack on Titan are the kinds of things that can get Toonami 11pm. It's hard to imagine them ever getting 10pm if a line-up as stacked as this one isn't enough to air more than a half hour earlier.

11pm is probably as early as they can manage unless Adult Swim is willing to give the first half of Saturday over to action and let comedy run the second half for the people coming home from parties and bars. I imagine Toonami's staff prefers the lower pressure late night hours though.

I honestly think Adult Swim is trying to grow Toonami. They wouldn't be throwing money at original productions for the block and picking up a monster license like Dragon Ball Super if they didn't think Toonami was worth nurturing with their resources. Yes they did scale it back in early 2015 but they've been slowly building it back up the right way but adding premieres rather than reruns. Too many reruns is what sank 3:30-6AM to begin with. Last year they surprised us by shifting Toonami earlier and now they've expanded it a half hour. It seems Adult Swim has realized that 3am premieres are a waste and any additional slots ought to be earlier rather than later. That's the kind of mindset we want Adult Swim to be in for Toonami to feasibly get 11pm and keep it.

Oh I agree, additional airings are pretty dang pointless and I don't expect them to ever encore more than two aciton shows the same night again. If the 8pm action hour does well then maybe then it'd be great if they moved Shippuden and One Piece to prime time. They probably wont do worse in the 9pm hour than they do in the 2am hour.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here but Titan never got 2 million.

The best Titan managed was around 1.5 million but it rarely broke 1.3 million, about 8 times out of 25.

It didn't have Family Guy as a lead-in though, which DBZ and now DBS have so it's difficult to say how well it might have done if Family Guy was the show before it. Though I think tone-wise The Boondocks made for a better lead-in for a Attack on Titan because it doesn't have the goofiness Dragon Ball series regularly display.

The episodes of Family Guy airing direclty before Toonami have been very important to the block's success since 2015. We are nowhere near the point where Adult Swim would consider airing a Saturday without an hour of Family Guy to draw in the general audience and the later Family Guy airs in the 10-12am timeframe the better it usually does due to less compeition. Pushing it even a half hour earlier for Dragon Ball Super poses a risk but far less of one than most anime would simply because it's the first new episodes of Dragon Ball in English in quite some time. That and new seasons of Samurai Jack and Attack on Titan are the kinds of things that can get Toonami 11pm. It's hard to imagine them ever getting 10pm if a line-up as stacked as this one isn't enough to air more than a half hour earlier.

11pm is probably as early as they can manage unless Adult Swim is willing to give the first half of Saturday over to action and let comedy run the second half for the people coming home from parties and bars. I imagine Toonami's staff prefers the lower pressure late night hours though.

I honestly think Adult Swim is trying to grow Toonami. They wouldn't be throwing money at original productions for the block and picking up a monster license like Dragon Ball Super if they didn't think Toonami was worth nurturing with their resources. Yes they did scale it back in early 2015 but they've been slowly building it back up the right way but adding premieres rather than reruns. Too many reruns is what sank 3:30-6AM to begin with. Last year they surprised us by shifting Toonami earlier and now they've expanded it a half hour. It seems Adult Swim has realized that 3am premieres are a waste and any additional slots ought to be earlier rather than later. That's the kind of mindset we want Adult Swim to be in for Toonami to feasibly get 11pm and keep it.

i thought it did one time, but i meant with the right lead in and promoting aot would've done a lot better.

they did try somewhat to invest in the block more with space dandy, and it did pretty good, but i attribute space dandy not getting higher ratings to the show not being that great at action or comedy.

one of the only ways i can see toonami getting 2m, is with db super and aot s2 back to back.

And the ratings were a record low disaster.

There were some rather brutal TV schedules it went up against, including at least one with a primetime boxing match. It never really stood a chance.

I can think of other situations where the ratings went that low. How about Venture Bros. in the 8:00P hour shortly after [as] got it in April 2014?

There were some rather brutal TV schedules it went up against, including at least one with a primetime boxing match. It never really stood a chance.

I can think of other situations where the ratings went that low. How about Venture Bros. in the 8:00P hour shortly after [as] got it in April 2014?

Don't try to to feed Jman logic. it's OP, and therefore he won't listen to anything other than himself.

i thought it did one time, but i meant with the right lead in and promoting aot would've done a lot better.

they did try somewhat to invest in the block more with space dandy, and it did pretty good, but i attribute space dandy not getting higher ratings to the show not being that great at action or comedy.

one of the only ways i can see toonami getting 2m, is with db super and aot s2 back to back.

Sadly no it did not. It did however manage to beat it's lead-ins on occasion. Not sure if that would have happened if Family Guy was the lead-in and people largely blame Black Dynamite at 10:30pm for the bad performance of the 11pm Boondocks reruns but it sure made Attack on Titan look good by comparison.

Attack on Titan got tremendous promotion. Less than a handful of shows on Toonami ever got weekly promos. Dandy, One-Punch, Titan and now Super.

DBZ Kai broke 2 million the night Akame ga Kill premiered and they ran a preview for the latest DBZ movie. It was kind of a perfect storm.

It's been a while since Family Guy regularly broke 2 million on Saturday night though so even with the might of Super and the fresh Buu saga dub of Kai, I have my doubts it can get 2 million but Super and Titan season 2 airing back to back probably could do it as long as Family Guy does well before that.

Samurai Jack is objectively a kids show, but it's the kind of kids show that doesn't actively alienate a potential adult audience, and even encourages it.

pretty much all of Genndy tatrakovskys shows are like that

it's a shame they don't make Kids shows like that anymore

well, except for Steven Universe....but it's gotten significantly more juvenile as time's gone on

(after the show normalized all the gems being lesbians it kinda turned into a baby show where nobody ever has to resort to violence)

This is much better than having it air between 4 AM and 6 AM as it was on Toonami. A show like this is awesome but also somewhat sleep-inducing, so batter not to be aired that late. But 8:30 is perfect! Hope it did great in the ratings!

I'll probably be watching a basketball game next time, so I won't be watching live.

But you better bet I'll be recording it!!

Sadly no it did not. It did however manage to beat it's lead-ins on occasion. Not sure if that would have happened if Family Guy was the lead-in and people largely blame Black Dynamite at 10:30pm for the bad performance of the 11pm Boondocks reruns but it sure made Attack on Titan look good by comparison.

Attack on Titan got tremendous promotion. Less than a handful of shows on Toonami ever got weekly promos. Dandy, One-Punch, Titan and now Super.

That was a great trailer too for AoT.

Speaking of Titan, personally I think it felt like Titan did amazingly well, even better when you consider how "late" it was (and for a show where the thrill and discoveries of the first watch are so valuable) it still made a sizable impact which would be even bigger if it aired closer to the Japanese premieres as a simuldub this time for the new season.  :)