UnevenEdge

I found the gay grumps

mochi

Why do they have to not only point out their sexual orientations, but also put it right in the name of the channel? Shouldn't that be irrelevant to the point of the videos, which is the games?

their decision, **shrug** :|, there's other gay lpers who are less in your face about it

And I bet they're going to be much more successful.

not so far, I've been following several and unless they're affiliated in some way with Pewdiepie or the gamegrumps they're obscure and nobody watches them :|

also, if you want a gay lper who never mentions they're gay then I'd think you'd be more comfortable watching a straight lper

Greeny has no sexual experiences to talk about so he would prefer if no one talked about theirs ever

to be fair I for the most part haven't either

(unless you consider jerking off with another guy a sexual experience)

not so far, I've been following several and unless they're affiliated in some way with Pewdiepie or the gamegrumps they're obscure and nobody watches them :|

also, if you want a gay lper who never mentions they're gay then I'd think you'd be more comfortable watching a straight lper

How will I know they're straight though if they don't constantly shove that fact down my throat?

How will I know they're straight though if they don't constantly shove that fact down my throat?

because they will, straight people flaunt their sexuality a lot more then gay people do

they just act like they don't because they think their sexuality is "normal"

Greeny has no sexual experiences to talk about so he would prefer if no one talked about theirs ever

He's touched at least one vagina.

His mom's.

She had a c-section.

Why do they have to not only point out their sexual orientations, but also put it right in the name of the channel? Shouldn't that be irrelevant to the point of the videos, which is the games?

For LGBT viewers, it does provide a sense of belonging to a particular subculture that isn't entirely friendly/inclusive toward the LGBT community. 

because they will, straight people flaunt their sexuality a lot more then gay people do

they just act like they don't because they think their sexuality is "normal"

Well statistically being straight is the norm. Doesn't make straight people better than gay people, but words have to mean something.

For LGBT viewers, it does provide a sense of belonging to a particular subculture that isn't entirely friendly/inclusive toward the LGBT community.

I mean, I get that, but can't the fact that they enjoy games be the thing that makes them feel included? I know there are some homophobic assholes in the gaming community, but I find it hard to believe that it's an even remotely large percentage of them. People just don't care about sexual preferences like they used to. Being gay isn't considered taboo by most people these days.

And not to be insensitive or anything, but if they never bring up the fact that they're gay then most people would probably never even notice in the first place. That's just my perspective from the outside looking in. It's not coming from a position of hate because I honestly have no ill will towards gay people or trans people or anything, despite the fact that I seem to disagree with them on a lot of things.

I mean, I get that, but can't the fact that they enjoy games be the thing that makes them feel included? I know there are some homophobic assholes in the gaming community, but I find it hard to believe that it's an even remotely large percentage of them not consciously or deliberately but even some pro-gay lpers are prone to say homophobic things because "it's not a big deal" to them, and they usually get away with it. People just don't care about sexual preferences like they used to. Being gay isn't considered taboo by most people these days. yes it is, just not as much

And not to be insensitive or anything, but if they never bring up the fact that they're gay then most people would probably never even notice in the first place. That's just my perspective from the outside looking in. It's not coming from a position of hate because I honestly have no ill will towards gay people or trans people or anything, despite the fact that I seem to disagree with them on a lot of things.

a more subtle Gay LPer is Mr. Kravin

unless you find it an issue that he mentions his husband in this video (because his husband calls him)

a more subtle Gay LPer is Mr. Kravin

unless you find it an issue that he mentions his husband in this video (because his husband calls him)

Of course I don't find that an issue. That information coming up in normal conversation or by a random phone call is one thing, but I don't need a disclaimer that lets me know they're gay because it isn't relevant to me. I'm never going to look for a good gay LPer; just a good LPer, gay or otherwise.

I mean, I get that, but can't the fact that they enjoy games be the thing that makes them feel included? I know there are some homophobic assholes in the gaming community, but I find it hard to believe that it's an even remotely large percentage of them. People just don't care about sexual preferences like they used to. Being gay isn't considered taboo by most people these days.

Homophobic behavior and statements isn't exclusively connected to what's taboo and what's not. I still have good close friends who are working hard not to say "Dude that's gay."

The gaming community also extends to the audience who, leaning on anonymity like a crutch, will use homophobic, transphobic, biphobic language like it ain't a thing to them.

Some people in the gaming community don't realize that there's oppressive language specifically coded for various identities in the LGBT community.

Now, it may be true that it isn't as bad, but western society still does has a long way to go before they're actually "cool" with the LGBT community.

On a surprisingly regular basis, I still argue with my family--who know I'm LGBT--about why it's socially regressive to limit LGBT protections to a state by state basis.

I'm still terrified as hell to admit I identify stronger with they/them pronouns than I do he/him.

That being said, the LGBT community isn't necessarily all bundled up and coddled among themselves. We still have to bicker with trans-exclusionary radical feminists (TERFS) and shit, too, so perhaps there's a point to be made that an LGBT-oriented gaming community is not indicative of safety.

Still, perhaps being upfront about being gay really isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps we shouldn't question why people make an effort to point it out.

There's still a lot of people who need to know they're not alone.

For those who don't identify with that feeling, there is still the Let's Play. There's still the thing they have in common with a whole lot of people who are scared as hell, even if it seems they don't need to be.