UnevenEdge

Seems like Toonami doesn't really give a crap about tokyo ghoul

Yes, unlike with some shows that were heavily requested and then demand fizzled out, Tokyo Ghoul has remained heavily requested since it entered the market. Psycho-Pass demand has persisted as well. It was allegedly the third most requested show last Summer around when they got One-Punch Man.

I see. *sigh* Might as well get it out of the way then.

Seeing how Mob was a currently premiering Broadcast Dub at the time, I can understand their decision in picking #2.

Shame on not enough people voting for Lupin though.

I figure Mob Psycho became untouchable once it became a broadcast dub.  Sad.

Is this a different Lupin than the Fujiko one they couldn't air because of the nakie ladies?  Lupin was never my favorite show in the world or anything, but I enjoyed it.  Certainly would take it over Joke-yo Drool.

I've been thinking from the beginning that they should've gotten Re:Zero instead.  It's supposed to be pretty good and it has cute girls in it!  I've heard that it would be difficult to localize because it's "too Japanese," though.  Not sure how true that is though.

Yeah, they often try to honor what the fans want.  But the fans don't always want... good things.

Wait Re Zero is too Japanese? How? It doesn't even take place in Japan. It's about as Japanese as familiar of Zero.

See the problem is .... does anyone here even know anyone that votes in these polls?  No one really seems aware of them or when they happen and they seem to mysteriously vote for horrible 2014 anime over the top anime of 2016? Seems odd.

I've been thinking from the beginning that they should've gotten Re:Zero instead.  It's supposed to be pretty good and it has cute girls in it!  I've heard that it would be difficult to localize because it's "too Japanese," though.  Not sure how true that is though.

Yeah, they often try to honor what the fans want.  But the fans don't always want... good things.

For that matter, it hasn't even been licensed yet. And I don't know why.

And it's not bound to any culture. I'd think it'd be hard to localize because... well, the Japanese VAs do an amazing job in it, and maybe they'd be reluctant to dub a show where it might not live up to the original voice track.

I'd think it'd be hard to localize because... well, the Japanese VAs do an amazing job in it, and maybe they'd be reluctant to dub a show where it might not live up to the original voice track.

That's kind of a stupid reason not to dub it. Hasn't stopped several series with perfectly good Japanese dubs from getting the English-language treatment before.

Wait Re Zero is too Japanese? How? It doesn't even take place in Japan. It's about as Japanese as familiar of Zero.

See the problem is .... does anyone here even know anyone that votes in these polls?  No one really seems aware of them or when they happen and they seem to mysteriously vote for horrible 2014 anime over the top anime of 2016? Seems odd.

Demand is measured by requests posted on Toonami.tumblr.com, Facebook.com/Toonami and probably any other way people bug Jason DeMarco.

Only rarely is there any kind of public poll. When he posted the one that included 3 shows they were already looking into the choices were Mob Psycho 100, the latest Lupin series, Tokyo Ghoul and "other". People rallied to vote for Ghoul and Lupin but Mob won the majority. I blame the YouTube anime commentator Forn3verWorld for a lot of the support Ghoul got. I tried to combat that by getting the editor of DBZ Abridged (who previously did Lupin Abridged) rally support in the final stretch but alas, Ghoul edged it out. Pun intended.

Go to the Facebook or Tumblr to sing the praises of ReZero if you want it to air on Toonami. I really doubt many people have suggested it to them directly.

I figure Mob Psycho became untouchable once it became a broadcast dub.  Sad.

Is this a different Lupin than the Fujiko one they couldn't air because of the nakie ladies?  Lupin was never my favorite show in the world or anything, but I enjoyed it.  Certainly would take it over Joke-yo Drool.

Yes it's a different, tamer and more recent Lupin series that wouldn't need editing.

That's kind of a stupid reason not to dub it. Hasn't stopped several series with perfectly good Japanese dubs from getting the English-language treatment before.

Well, this one contains many dramatic scenes, including ones which require screaming from the actors. And some of them can go on for a while, which you'd understand if you had watched the actual show. It would be a lot of work for all involved.

Also, good luck replicating Betelgeuse's Japanese performance.

And it's not bound to any culture. I'd think it'd be hard to localize because... well, the Japanese VAs do an amazing job in it, and maybe they'd be reluctant to dub a show where it might not live up to the original voice track.

Yeah to be honest Blatch I don't really see how something like this would preclude it from being dubbed.  If they think it's gonna make money in America then they'll dub it.

Yeah, I completely agree with that CaptainStarwind, and I think it will get one too. The state of the Japanese track I would think has virtually nothing to do with anything.

Plenty of shows have been dubbed that also have good Japanese tracks. Also things like Hellsing have the great Jouji Nakata as Alucard, but that didn't stop Geneon from giving Hellsing a hugely respected dub and Crispin Freeman from doing an even better Alucard.

I think it's possible that it is just a title that's currently in announcement limbo, maybe just due to timing of when it aired, especially if it turns out to be one of the early Funi-CR licenses (even if it wasn't announced at the same time as stuff like Kabaneri and Berserk) because we don't even know who has it yet other than CrunchyRoll for the old simulcast and Anime Limited's early announcement for the UK back when it was airing. I think it will get a dub announcement as well whenever the US licensor is finally revealed  (probably Funi or Sentai), even Anime Limited has not said anything else about their future release of the show yet since their initial press release saying that they had it for the UK market, so they may be waiting for the US announcement too.

It's not alone as well since Bungou Stray Dogs also aired at that time and while we know Funimation has it for home release and it's virtually assured that it will get a dub I think (popular series, BONES action series, etc.), full release plans are not announced for this show yet either.

Obviously I don't know, but I think it's possible that Re:Zero is another one of those which could account for it being a bit slower than the new showsf that has come out after the deal was complete since current titles from Funi-CR can now just go straight into the pipeline between the two companies. I mean, there are still a few titles in that situation from that period that we already know are in progress but not fully detailed yet like Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress which we know is getting a dub but the cast hasn't been announced yet since the home release is probably still a bit away due to the Funi-CR deal happening "late" and we also knew for a while that Berserk 2016 was getting one too and it was actually only a couple of weeks ago that the cast list finally was released and the episodes all were able to be posted at once. They might have been waiting until a couple of these already announced "older" titles came out before announcing the next one on their plate.

Well...that ended up wordier than I expected...lol

Yes, unlike with some shows that were heavily requested and then demand fizzled out, Tokyo Ghoul has remained heavily requested since it entered the market. Psycho-Pass demand has persisted as well. It was allegedly the third most requested show last Summer around when they got One-Punch Man.

Psycho-Pass is still one of the shows that I really wish they would have run, though I guess they still can of course (like how they're now doing Tokyo Ghoul).

I'm still quite surprised they never did it while it was hot, and given there's plenty of content available for the show (even more so once the second season/movie got announced, even if the second season got mixed results) and especially given their love of Ghost in the Shell, since IG doing a new sci-fi show somewhat like it was one of the hooks that got me interested in the show in the first place and it was a great watch (especially the first season).

Well like I said it's just something I heard.  Given the source I wouldn't be surprised if that weren't the case.

I suppose it's the general demand they get from various places where Toonami has a presence, like Sketchor said.  It used to be the Tumblr, but I'm not sure if they even do anything with that anymore.  They kinda' stopped doing the Q&As after a while.  Maybe they thought there was no point after they started Pre-Flight.

For that matter, it hasn't even been licensed yet. And I don't know why.

So, it won't be localized because of subbie fanboy logic?  I think not.

Demand is measured by requests posted on Toonami.tumblr.com, Facebook.com/Toonami and probably any other way people bug Jason DeMarco.

Only rarely is there any kind of public poll. When he posted the one that included 3 shows they were already looking into the choices were Mob Psycho 100, the latest Lupin series, Tokyo Ghoul and "other". People rallied to vote for Ghoul and Lupin but Mob won the majority. I blame the YouTube anime commentator Forn3verWorld for a lot of the support Ghoul got. I tried to combat that by getting the editor of DBZ Abridged (who previously did Lupin Abridged) rally support in the final stretch but alas, Ghoul edged it out. Pun intended.

Go to the Facebook or Tumblr to sing the praises of ReZero if you want it to air on Toonami. I really doubt many people have suggested it to them directly.

Do they even do anything with the Tumblr anymore besides post gifs?  It's not like they promote it anymore, either.  I think we still see hashtags on air, which would be a nod to Twitter.  They really don't seem to tell people to go to the site or their social media places anymore.  Maybe they think people will do it without being told, but... I dunno.  By the way, why did Jason deactivate his ask.fm account?  I finally looked at it after the months of that BS that was going on in my life and found it in that state.

People actually listen to that retard?  Never understood why or how he got views.

If the show has enough of a following I'm sure they'd request for it to be on Toonami.  Though I guess it depends on how much of an overlap between the fan bases there are and if Re:Zero's cares if it gets on Toonami.

Yeah they have practically abandoned Tumbr for Facebook. They don't promote any of their social media on air they haven't even promoted Pre-Flight in a good long while. I think they just figure there is no real need to use resources to promote those and expect word of mouth to suffice. It's better to use those resources to promote the block and it's programming.

Obviously I don't know, but I think it's possible that Re:Zero is another one of those which could account for it being a bit slower than the new showsf that has come out after the deal was complete since current titles from Funi-CR can now just go straight into the pipeline between the two companies.

Basically. And there are shows that date back to before the Funiroll deal that might be in the pipeline. One title I guess we can consider as a benchmark is Kantai Collection: Winter 2015 simulcast, but it only just got announced by Funi last month and is coming out on home video in June. That's a gap of almost two-and-a-half years.

So by that logic, we can expect news on Re:ZERO by... probably the middle of next year, at least. :P

Yeah they have practically abandoned Tumbr for Facebook. They don't promote any of their social media on air they haven't even promoted Pre-Flight in a good long while. I think they just figure there is no real need to use resources to promote those and expect word of mouth to suffice. It's better to use those resources to promote the block and it's programming.

They hosted a long-awaited Q&A on Pre-Flight.

.... I think they used Pre-Flight as kind of a replacement for their Tumblr.

That and most people probably assume a show or whatever it might be has a social media presence and without even being told will look them up on various platforms if they're interested enough.  I know that's been the case for me.

The Tumblr was dead once they stopped answering any questions on it.  I don't think I've actually been on the Tumblr in quite a long time.

For those of you who may not be on Twitter, Tokyo Ghoul was trending last weekend. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was also trending on Facebook last year before it's premiere on Toonami. It's understandable why One Piece fans would be upset about getting the shaft once again, but some of you whine too much. This is coming from a frequent lurker of this board.

The constant whining about how you don't like a certain show and the fixation of a show's ratings is more of a turn off to other fans than anything. It makes other viewers not want to watch Toonami because of other fans, that always sulk about not getting their way about something.

By the looks of it, Tokyo Ghoul is getting better treatment than Bleach ever got because Adult Swim never aired Shinigami's Cup. You also need to consider the fact that Toonami may be trying to draw in more adult viewers with different types of shows. You're not the only people watching Adult Swim and Toonami.

By the looks of it, Tokyo Ghoul is getting better treatment than Bleach ever got because Adult Swim never aired Shinigami's Cup.

When Toonami puts Tokyo Ghoul at the front of the block for its entire run, get back to me on this reply above.

Overall I do agree with you.  I initially didn't want to participate on the Tokyo Ghoul threads here because I know it will only be full of hecklers who make the experience of talking about it miserable for those who know nothing about it.

When Toonami puts Tokyo Ghoul at the front of the block for its entire run, get back to me on this reply above.

Overall I do agree with you.  I initially didn't want to participate on the Tokyo Ghoul threads here because I know it will only be full of hecklers who make the experience of talking about it miserable for those who know nothing about it.

Exactly. I have friends that actually enjoy watching Tokyo Ghoul and just about every other site that I post on seem to love the series. There's a difference between real Anime fans and those, who only like shows that fit the Toonami Anime stereotype. Then again, most fans in general know how to enjoy a show without depending on ratings. If all people worried about was a show's ratings, they would never enjoy a show.

Toonami fans need to keep in mind that ratings can be rigged. They must have never seen that episode of Peter Griffin stealing everyone's Nielsen's Ratings boxes in town to control what everyone watches on TV.

Exactly. I have friends that actually enjoy watching Tokyo Ghoul and just about every other site that I post on seem to love the series. There's a difference between real Anime fans and those, who only like shows that fit the Toonami Anime stereotype. Then again, most fans in general know how to enjoy a show without depending on ratings. If all people worried about was a show's ratings, they would never enjoy a show.

Toonami fans need to keep in mind that ratings can be rigged. They must have never seen that episode of Peter Griffin stealing everyone's Nielsen's Ratings boxes in town to control what everyone watches on TV.

Ghoul is doing fine in the ratings. No one's bashing it because of it's ratings. No one's bashing it because it doesn't "fit" Toonami. We're bashing it because it's terrible.

Ghoul is doing fine in the ratings. No one's bashing it because of it's ratings. No one's bashing it because it doesn't "fit" Toonami. We're bashing it because it's terrible.

You guys bash just about everything. So, there's nothing new about that. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It's what this community does. ASMB's community is all about bashing. When you're not bashing other posters, you're bashing shows. And you people wonder why you can't grow this community. That's all the more reason why ASMB was shut down a half year ago and should stay shut down. Anyway, that's all I have to say. Continue to nit pick and spread the hatred all around this replacement board for what was an already dying community.

You guys bash just about everything. So, there's nothing new about that. Wash, rinse, and repeat. It's what this community does. ASMB's community is all about bashing. When you're not bashing other posters, you're bashing shows. And you people wonder why you can't grow this community. That's all the more reason why ASMB was shut down a half year ago and should stay shut down. Anyway, that's all I have to say. Continue to nit pick and spread the hatred all around this replacement board for what was an already dying community.

The reception for Jack and Titan has been overwhelmingly positive. Same with Jojo. There's tons of people on these forums that like pretty much everything, even Dimension W.

Wait a minute.... you must be the one with 10 accounts on Tumblr that requested TG! You son of a bitch. You almost got away with it.

I actually like a lot of shows on the block, aside from the filler parts of DB Super and Hunter x Hunter filler. I genuinely poke fun at Tokyo Ghoul because it's shit.

Can't remember the characters' names, it tries too hard to be edgy and dark, and the M.C. is an unlikable wuss. I don't root for Kenichi (is that his name?) and actually rooted against him in the last episode, even though I knew he'd have to survive since it was like....episode four or five. Can't remember.

Far be it from me to enter this argument but isn't this just you bashing here too?

I actually liked most if not all of the shows on the block for a long time.  I'm only liking Dragonball and Jack right now, but I'm sure that will change at some point.  As said, Samurai Jack, JoJo, and most of the other shows are getting a positive reception.  There will always be someone who doesn't like a show but that doesn't mean you can act like everybody is a part of some Toonami fan blob entity that hates everything all the time.  That's just lumping everyone together and looking for what you want to look for to have something to bitch about.