UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

iDOLM@STER: XENOGLOSSIA 3

Spoiler

And now I've reached the reason I decided to bite the bullet with this franchise, specifically the one made back in the days when idol shows about singing were niche and/or kodomomuke fare: Kinky Kunoichi direction analysis. Jam #18 is imagined as being storyboarded and directed by one Rion Kujo and, wanting to watch something other than that one Naruto episode that Boruto's unfairly compared to, decided to watch another show that had him in both chairs at once. As XENOGLOSSIA was one of the few iDOLM@STER anime my good friend @Blatch hasn't seen yet, I thought I'd cover him with that while also killing another bird that suited me and me alone, for reasons most would find to be really fuckin' weird.

All in all, I couldn't find anything that specifically screamed "Kujo directed this" compared to the two episodes of XENOGLOSSIA I have seen, but I was able to keep track of a couple of recurring tics I noticed throughout the episode. Dialogue exchanges starting over establishing shots, pans to the speaker or listener from a notable aspect of the internal setting within the same line of sight, cuts that smash to black but fade in from it and vice versa... There was even a gratuitous dutch angle! And a random shot of Haruka's feet, which disappoints my theory that Kujo is an ass/leg man. Oh well, this was before he was chief director on any big ecchi project, so I'm willing to let it slide. A lot of these, I can see working in jam #18 with how I've got it. Now to wait and see what Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero has to bring to the table by comparison...

Also, for those few of you curious about my continued efforts with Kunoichi, I'll be posting the next several chapters I have prepped to DeviantArt weekly starting tomorrow. jam #13 is available for reading right now, so feel free to check that out if you're too impatient to wait for the PDF version with all the intricacies of staff and cast to hit this site next year.

• Thanks 1

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless 12 (end)
The iDOLM@STER Million Live! 7
Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ 8

That ML episode was peak. Like, wow, it rivals anything I've seen from U149. Glad they pushed all this procedural work and generic drama aside in favor of letting the girls be themselves and do the typical idol shtick. It even had a minor reference to the 2011 show, which gets points in my book. And next week looks to be more of the same, plus Roco is involved. It may be after Thanksgiving, but we iM@S fans should be feasting right now.

[marisa 3:16]

Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ 9
Akira (1988 dub)

Sadly, the 4K Blu-ray didn't feel like much of a difference to me. But it was my first purchase from the new merged Crunchyroll store, and they delivered it about as well as I could've hoped for. Regardless, I'm keeping my 2013 BD set around for the bonus features.

21 hours ago, Blatch said:

Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ 9
Akira (1988 dub)

Sadly, the 4K Blu-ray didn't feel like much of a difference to me. But it was my first purchase from the new merged Crunchyroll store, and they delivered it about as well as I could've hoped for. Regardless, I'm keeping my 2013 BD set around for the bonus features.

Aside from the HDR grade (which is nice), the level of detail between the Blu-ray and 4K has actually decreased thanks to aggressive DNR.

Dr. Stone S3 E12 - 13

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Aside from the HDR grade (which is nice), the level of detail between the Blu-ray and 4K has actually decreased thanks to aggressive DNR.

Damn. And here I thought that was only present on Funi's DBZ releases. :RoboTongue:

The Idolm@ster Million Live! 8

On 12/3/2023 at 10:51 PM, Blatch said:

Damn. And here I thought that was only present on Funi's DBZ releases. :RoboTongue:

The Idolm@ster Million Live! 8

DBZ got hit the worst out of literally anything I've ever seen, but it shows up more often than you think (Terminator 2 and American Graffiti's 4k discs are a travesty).

Dr. Stone S3 14 - 17

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

On 12/7/2023 at 8:42 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

The Boy and The Heron

7jxbe3.jpg

I want to go see this in theaters. "Worst Miyazaki movie" be damned, I don't know if I'll get the chance to see his latest flick again. Plus, I haven't seen any Ghibli films other than, and feel free to laugh at this, Grave of the Fireflies.

Touhou Fantasy Kaleidoscope ~The Memories of Phantasm~ 10
The Idolm@ster Million Live! 9/10

['til I reach the highest ground]

Edited by Blatch
Bolding.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:38 PM, Blatch said:

Plus, I haven't seen any Ghibli films other than, and feel free to laugh at this, Grave of the Fireflies.

Man, of all the Ghibli films you could've seen... And nothing from Month of Miyazaki, either.

One Piece 646
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean 18

• Like 1