UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Onimai: I'm Your Sister Now! 1/2 and 3
Ninja Kamuy 3/4
Lycoris Recoil 3

Finally making progress. Kind of glad I didn't watch this LycoReco episode the first time around, as it would've harshed my buzz.

Also, shout-out to Andrew Love as the "Exiled Instructor" in Kamuy #3. Picked his voice out right away.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Kind of glad I didn't watch this LycoReco episode the first time around, as it would've harshed my buzz.

Sure would've. D.A. sure does suck, don't they.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 7
Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! 10

On 3/12/2024 at 8:15 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Sure would've. D.A. sure does suck, don't they.

I don't think they're that bad, because at least some of them consider Chisato and Takina more as friendly rivals. Also, I like how the tallest student at the main campus, tall enough to pass for a professor in my eyes, looks like Alice Touhou. And I think she was in the first episode, given the flashback to that scene with Takina at the start of the most recent one I watched.

Lycoris Recoil 4/5

[iiiiiiii'd catapult downtown]

21 hours ago, Blatch said:

I don't think they're that bad, because at least some of them consider Chisato and Takina more as friendly rivals.

Eh, between all the behind-the-back shit-talking throughout ep 3 and Fuki being a real piece of work personality-wise, I just can't see myself warming up to them. Sure, D.A.'s not all bad - LycoReco's technically an extension of their operations and they're all cool, plus there was the one that actually still liked Takina and I'm starting to come back around to Sakura believe it or not - but with the impression that Fuki and the others gave, you can't blame me for cheering Majima on at least a little.

Gushing Over Magical Girls 11

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: Entertainment District Arc 8
Ninja Kamui 4

Spoiler

[sigh] This show is far too excessive with the murder and tragedy. Not even Mike can have a happy family life, what with the ex-wife and dead daughter. I wouldn't have expected anything less from an American co-produced wannabe anime.

This doesn't deserve the high score it currently has on MAL.

Spy×Family S1E24

So happy to finally knock another one of these off. And the first scene of the episode, which had Yor feeling out of it and crashing into a pole, felt timely. I thought it was the flu, but I went to the doctor today and tested positive for strep throat. Really weird considering my throat is one of the few things that hasn't ached over the past week.

Not seen SDF Macross before (and can't legally thanks to Harmony Gold's iron fist), but I've also never seen their hackjob which is easily available on Crunchyroll, so...

Robotech 1-6

For an 80's dub this is not that bad. On the nose? Yes, but not unwatchable. Thing moves at one hell of a pace too.

Might pirate some Macross Blu-ray files with the Vic Mignogna dub synced to compare / contrast after I'm finished with the Macek-red version.

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Not seen SDF Macross before (and can't legally thanks to Harmony Gold's iron fist), but I've also never seen their hackjob which is easily available on Crunchyroll, so...

Robotech 1-6

For an 80's dub this is not that bad. On the nose? Yes, but not unwatchable. Thing moves at one hell of a pace too.

Might pirate some Macross Blu-ray files with the Vic Mignogna dub synced to compare / contrast after I'm finished with the Macek-red version.

Last I checked those run a pretty penny.  You’ll definitely need to hit the high seas.

As for the Robotech dub, you haven’t heard their Minmei “sing” yet IIRC.  Just remember Mari Ijima initially disowned the role because it pretty much overshadowed everything she did (although she eventually came to terms with it and even reprised the role for the ADV dub), it was that iconic, so comparing it to Robotech’s singing is…yeah.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 1

Robotech 7 - 11

I just heard English Minmay sing.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Spoiler

I did find the ADV files somewhere and compared this last episode to the original version. Honestly, aside from the casual Robotech namedrop (bc syndication bullshit) and whatever the FUCK that Minmay song was -- it's a surprisingly close adaptation.

Also surprising (and possibly a hot take): Vic's Rick is too screechy, Coleen Misa/Lisa was throwing me off, and having Minmay voiced by the JP actress is an honorable choice but, uh... still a choice. I think I like the Robotech VA's more overall. I do sense some minor pullback when it comes to more sexual dialog, but Minmay's still getting eye-fucked in that beauty pageant episode [to the point of some soldiers going "Mmmm.... 16."]

Hot Take #2: Both soundtracks have their highlights and low points. Macross' "cigarettes after sex" incidental music during more casual scenes is great but does absolutely nothing for battle scenes. Meanwhile, OST for Robotech is rock solid throughout except the OP/ED don't hold a candle to Macross (bc runtime and all that bs) --- And of course the whole Minmay deal [THE FUCK IS THIS "STAGEFRIGHT" SONG? DIDN'T YOU JUST SAY 10 MINUTES AGO YOU WROTE A SONG CALLED "MY BOYFRIEND IS A PILOT"???]

I've only compared episodes 1, 8, & 11 for both versions, but Robotech looks to have come out relatively unscathed compared to Ocean DBZ or DiC Sailor Moon; and with this predating those dubs by a full decade, color me shocked.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

20 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Robotech 12 - 18

Hide contents

Are default medical check-ups after a mission just not a thing for these people. You mean no one looked at Roy's back after landing? Didn't even take a shower before heading to Claudia's place?

LOL. ROFL even.

I’m sure stuff was edited.  You’re hitting the point where Robotech starts to significantly divorce itself from Macross and that’s only going to ramp up.

To be fair though - 

Spoiler

This was a big deal when it happened.  Transformers killing Optimus Prime was a direct response to this, since death was not a thing in kids cartoons at the time.  This was also something actively attacked by Western cartoonists at the time.  Mighty Mouse’s 80s revival was made of people pissed off at Robotech among many other things.

33 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’m sure stuff was edited.  You’re hitting the point where Robotech starts to significantly divorce itself from Macross and that’s only going to ramp up.

To be fair though - 

Reveal hidden contents

This was a big deal when it happened.  Transformers killing Optimus Prime was a direct response to this, since death was not a thing in kids cartoons at the time.  This was also something actively attacked by Western cartoonists at the time.  Mighty Mouse’s 80s revival was made of people pissed off at Robotech among many other things.

So without Robotech there'd be no Ren & Stimpy, eh? Interesting...

Whelp I just checked both the Japanese & the ADV dub for that ep and looks like there was nothing noticeable edited out. Who care about the minutia when you can go out like a G playing the guitar?

Spoiler

They even keep his blood stains and add dialog attributing Roy's death to blood loss. But again, I'm sure the version I'm watching is less edited than whatever was broadcast on TV because Roy still has a titty poster on his wall.

I've seen Do You Remember Love? before so at least I have that backing knowledge lol.

Delicious in Dungeon 12.  I am gonna miss this show, especially since there’s a lot more manga.

Bang Brave Bang Bravern 11.  In a just world it would be two cour at least.

• Confused 1

Robotech 29 - 36 [Macross Saga end]

Spoiler

Funny, I just found out Harmony Gold originally tested a played-straight dub of Macross.

Interesting relic. Uses the same Robotech VA's and Anglicized names (albeit a halfway compromise with Ichijyo/Rick being named "Rick Yamada"). 

God awful opening theme too, but a peek into what could've been if it weren't for syndication rules.

Ninja Kamui 6
Gushing Over Magical Girls 13

Spoiler

Mike: [points at Emma] You're a ninja... [points at Higan] he's a ninja... [points at Yamaji, Zai, Lil, Dilly and Big D] they're all ninja... [points at himself] I'm a ninja... [/s] Are there any more ninjas I should know about!?

(The wind shifts, and the Kinky Kunoichi appear right behind him.)

Nawa: Me-ow~.

Edited by PokeNirvash

On 3/27/2024 at 1:47 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Robotech 29 - 36 [Macross Saga end]

Hide contents

Funny, I just found out Harmony Gold originally tested a played-straight dub of Macross.

Interesting relic. Uses the same Robotech VA's and Anglicized names (albeit a halfway compromise with Ichijyo/Rick being named "Rick Yamada"). 

God awful opening theme too, but a peek into what could've been if it weren't for syndication rules.

Spoiler

Yeah, syndication rules suck ass.  But alas, here we are.   And 40 years of legal shit begins, along with a movie that is NEVER EVER HAPPENING.  I wouldn't bother with Southern Cross and Mospeada.  It's not worth it.

One Piece 658
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba: Entertainment District Arc 10

It's too early in the day for me to have alcohol in my system, but I don't care. Even if it's one drink, if it helps me deal with the shit-brained citizenry of Dressrosa and Tanjiro's current bout of hopelessness, that's more than enough for me to be packing it in before 5.

• Haha 1