UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Yowamushi Pedal: Glory Line 25 END - 8/10

Spoiler

I can't believe they spent the entire season on the interhigh and never even finished the last leg.

Plus the evil team won a previous episode.  Just disgusting.  Overall I still liked the season I guess.

The first season was the best for this entire anime.

Gonna try some different formatting this time, just for shits and giggles.

I've caught up with the new season of Laid-Back Camp. Really good show, although I almost feel like I've taken it for granted. I never bothered to watch the Room Camp spin-off, and it's been long enough since the first season aired that I've wondered if I should've rewatched that. Either way, I'm just happy to be able to spend joy indoors with all of these characters as they go explore outside.

Then I finished the first season of Kaguya-sama: Love is War. I watched the first episode of this way back in my college's anime club, back when I was in school and such things happened on campus. Yeah, it's been weird... but anyway, it took me a while to warm up on this show. At first, I wondered if it was trying too hard to be funny, with all the crazy animation going on. Part of the premise also seemed hackneyed to me, as I was worried it would get really formulaic and focus on Kaguya and Miyuki constantly having weird misunderstandings about their supposed love. Thankfully, it didn't take long for me to start liking it, particularly in Episode 3's last segment when Kagyua's commute to school. And then, coincidentally, I started enjoying the show's artistry for being so manic and expressive. The introduction of Yu to the cast also helped.

Spoiler

I was convinced that the whole "Kaguya misses out on the fireworks" thing would lead to a genuine confession and the story would drastically shift from there. It was a great episode with some perfect pacing... but then things went back to normal by the end of it. How stupid of me. On the plus side, I wouldn't be surprised if Miyuki gets a similar moment of full-blown affection at the end of the second season. Maybe by then, Kaguya's profile pic on Twitter won't have an egg anymore?

I look forward to watching the second season of this, even though CR has only has the first. I've promised myself I'm going to get a Funi subscription no matter what, although there's another show involved in that equation that should get me to pull the trigger.

Finally, I watched Symphogear G up to episode 7. It's a really good show, and just about everything—from the plotting to the animation and acting—has really improved from the first season. For one, Hibiki's face no longer looks like it's melting all the time. One thing that sticks out for me regarding this show is that its pacing is so extra... every episode has either a surprising twist or something that you wouldn't expect to happen until later.

Spoiler

Episode 6's ending has a really good example: right after we learn that Hibiki is losing her body to her relic fragments and might stop being human (either that or die, but you know she won't), she's suddenly confronted by Dr. Ver and transforms, even though we know it's dangerous but not her. I'm not the kind of person who wants my shows to be as frenetic as a typical Saturday morning cartoon, but I can get down for a game of constantly trying to top yourself. And hey, some of them are idols too.

So that's that. Tonight, I'm going to start the CR version of Vlad Love, which I watched the special version of on YouTube when it was available. I ended up dealing with some bad picture quality on that one that I'm sure Poke wouldn't have wanted to bother with, but it was... certainly interesting. I laughed a few times, mostly out of confusion. More than anything, I'm looking forward to watching Oshii go ham on a show that otherwise be almost unmarketable.

[hello there, i'm poopybutthole pooerson]

• Like 1