UnevenEdge

Generations

I’ve become really interested lately in thinking and reading about American generations (baby boomer, gen x, etc.) and it’s really interesting how a fifteen year period of whatever the fuck the economy is doing and whatever wars are or are not going on, can lead to strangely linking culture touchstones and even work ethic.

But is it bullshit?

I don't know for sure but I doubt other countries have these labels for people born scant years apart.

It becomes clear to me that no matter the dynamic at hand, Americans love segregation, and grouping. 

Like there is an entire group of overweight people that shame other overweight people just because they aren't AS overweight.

Only fans sex workers have the audacity to look down and street walkers.

Despite being human, vegans and meat eaters consider that one facet a reason to have ire towards each other....

I won't get into other races but we literally have an internal dark skin vs light skin war....kinda went public with the whole Kendrick/Drake thing.

My point is, we do a lot to separate ourselves for other people then cry about division. The generational thing is just another way to force you to vie for your team. It's dumb.

It's probably not even what you were actually asking but I got started and I tend to get tunnel vision when I talk

• Like 2

Kinda bullshitty in the sense that the categories are often too broad to be helpful. I'm late genx, for example, and I find I have little to nothing in common with those born toward the beginning of my generation, but a good deal in common with early millennials. 15 years might have given you a good basis of commonality 60 years ago, but as technological advancements speed up, those periods of commonality compress. 

• Like 3

Being constantly plugged in and having no actual social life has my brain thinking I'm always in a younger generation than I am, then I get hit with the fact I'm 34 and feel like death.

• Like 1

They talked about generations so fucking much in the staff meetings at one of my previous jobs and it basically was just blame milenials for everything and Gen z doesn't want to work without asking 1000 questions first 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 1:04 PM, André Toulon said:

I don't know for sure but I doubt other countries have these labels for people born scant years apart.

It becomes clear to me that no matter the dynamic at hand, Americans love segregation, and grouping. 

Like there is an entire group of overweight people that shame other overweight people just because they aren't AS overweight.

Only fans sex workers have the audacity to look down and street walkers.

Despite being human, vegans and meat eaters consider that one facet a reason to have ire towards each other....

I won't get into other races but we literally have an internal dark skin vs light skin war....kinda went public with the whole Kendrick/Drake thing.

My point is, we do a lot to separate ourselves for other people then cry about division. The generational thing is just another way to force you to vie for your team. It's dumb.

It's probably not even what you were actually asking but I got started and I tend to get tunnel vision when I talk

I think a major contributor is 24/7 exposure to advertising that promotes this behavior. It's always 'Team This' or 'Team That'. 'This group buys our products so they're winners. That other group doesn't so they're losers.' And some of those divisions you brought up are worsened because companies want to spend as little money or effort possible for profit. Not wanting to have many skin shades in make-up or not wanting to use extra fabric in clothes. 

• Like 2