UnevenEdge

My grandfather passed away.

RPM Jr.

One of the most wonderful -- and wisest -- people I've ever known passed away in the middle of the night. He had been ill for a couple weeks, and I was going to see him this Tuesday. The man lived through the Great Depression and the Cold War. He worked himself to the bone as a kid and young adult just so his children could have what they needed. I remember going with him and my dad to Kissimmee, Florida, to watch some Astros' spring training games. That was a fun trip. I wish I could've done something like that with him again.

But you know, he lived a full life. I'm glad he was able to live until he was 91. I'm glad he saw our country go from the Roaring '20s to the technological wonder it is today. I'm very grateful for that.

Rest in Peace, PaPa. I will definitely see you again someday.

Thanks. And yes, I do. He was an electrical engineer at Exxon (now Exxon Mobile) in Baytown, which is near Houston. I think he had retired by the time I was born, if not a couple years after. And I know he was definitely quite the philanthropist, too. He helped build churches for the Baptist Association of Texas. He was even made an honorary member of the Houston chapter of the NAACP for his contributions as a member of the aforementioned Baptist group, if I remember correctly.

91's a nice, ripe, old age to live to. In his time, it was probably customary for older people to die in their late 60s or 70s, and it sounds like he lived a nice life in addition to it being a long one.

He did, and up until October of last year, his mind was as sharp as ever.

We had the funeral for PaPa Tuesday. While we were at the funeral home, the officiating pastor said he could definitely see some of PaPa in me. (As in I resemble my grandfather quite a bit.) After I came home that evening, I gave the funeral bulletin (pamphlet?), which had a picture of him in his mid 20s on the front, to my wife. She completely agreed with the pastor.

17759661_1483945044980368_3307521430487170296_n.jpg?oh=5a667656e8e5450cc4617777450efd48&oe=5992BDCC

yeah, grandpa's tend to do that

Oh, really? I thought they aged in reverse until they became a zygote!

I apologize for the above statement. That said, yours was redundant. I was still out of line though so I'm sorry.

I am so sorry for your loss  :(

But it sounds like you had a great relationship with him :) you will carry those memories for a lifetime!

He lived a beautiful and full life, and now he's onto his next journey!  <3

Thanks, Molly. I appreciate it.