UnevenEdge

I need to get this off my chest

ghostrek

Something's been bothering me and it got put to the surface because of all things I'm watching the newest season of Star Trek lower decks and the main cast which are until the season wheere starfleet   ensigns  No new Starfleet  Lieutenant Jr grade.  I'm always obsessed of trying to move up and rank in my professional life i was actually promise a promotion almost instantly when I started it clean at the place I cleaned that before working atThe butcher shop I work at. And I know promotions are burned but I was promised that and it turns outI never got itI was trying to work hard and try to advance and just move up one  step on the ladder But did not happen. Now I was working through that goal at all the other jobs I worked at and yes I understand with my difficulties it was impossible but I still work towards it And frankly when they say every dog has their day I don't Man I'm not a dog and I don't have my day.

Can I pose you all a question why am I so obsessed with trying to move up and rank at nowhere jobs

10 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

To give meaning, no matter how superficial, to the work you put in.  You crave acknowledgment from the people you expend effort on.

Yes but it's also i'm not fitting the standards for that promotion but people tell me due to my lack of a better word disabilities

1 minute ago, Insipid said:

I'm just wondering, do you not have a therapist to discuss these kind of things with?

Yes but frankly. It does not help me to convince others that I'm deserving of a promotion It does help me with my own internal problems which is very valid and very useful but trying to get others to see the man I think I am on the inside is impossible.

You can't "convince" anyone you're worthy of a promotion.  All you can do is be good at your job and demand respect for the work you do, as in exhibit pride in your work and own mistakes (rather than apologize for them).  Promotions, even at the lowest rungs, are arbitrary - being competent is a must in any worthwhile business, but it's not a guarantee you'll get elevated.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

You can't "convince" anyone you're worthy of a promotion.  All you can do is be good at your job and demand respect for the work you do, as in exhibit pride in your work and own mistakes (rather than apologize for them).  Promotions, even at the lowest rungs, are arbitrary - being competent is a must in any worthwhile business, but it's not a guarantee you'll get elevated.

I know i won't ever get I know that getting elevated isn't necessary to go doing a good job is but like I said I felt like I got demoted in my family because of my ex sister-in-law treated me like shit because she was fucking ableist. What's in fact I know mycomment earlier today on a different post would make my myself ableist myself . I have a high standard for neurotypical people If I can't fuck up neither can they

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ghostrek said:

I know i won't ever get I know that getting elevated isn't necessary to go doing a good job is but like I said I felt like I got demoted in my family because of my ex sister-in-law treated me like shit because she was fucking ableist. What's in fact I know mycomment earlier today on a different post would make my myself ableist myself . I have a high standard for neurotypical people If I can't fuck up neither can they

Having high standards for yourself is great,  but expecting others to not fuck up is indicative of your own need to have others validate you.  It’s also a validation of your sister-in-law’s abusive behavior:  you’re saying neurotypical people deserve to be marginalized by not being perfect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Having high standards for yourself is great,  but expecting others to not fuck up is indicative of your own need to have others validate you.  It’s also a validation of your sister-in-law’s abusive behavior:  you’re saying neurotypical people deserve to be marginalized by not being perfect.

@scoobdog  i think there's just a miss understanding there what I was trying to get across is we we are marginalized for not being perfect by people that are not perfect themselves you try to hold us to that standard hold yourself to that fucking standard

5 hours ago, ghostrek said:

@scoobdog  i think there's just a miss understanding there what I was trying to get across is we we are marginalized for not being perfect by people that are not perfect themselves you try to hold us to that standard hold yourself to that fucking standard

You may want to rephrase that sentence, but I get it now.

8 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

@scoobdog people   like me are held  higher standards ,  then normal/ neurotypical  people . May I do my I screw up a lot but it seems like people are harder on me then  more normal people

what? how are you being held to a higher standard? by whom?

becasue if you're not being promoted in these dead end jobs...than who exactly is holding you to a higher standard?

people aren't harder on you than most.  it's all in your head. 

you are taking your life way too seriously. and you should stop it. 

if you don't like your job, find a new one. if you don't like how people treat you , speak up. 

YOU should be holding yourself to a higher standard, and stop allowing your notion of HOW you think people percieve you. 

and i really REALLY think this is better served to your therapist. 

we are not the right people to help. not at all. 

but you knew that. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, discolé monade said:

what? how are you being held to a higher standard? by whom?

becasue if you're not being promoted in these dead end jobs...than who exactly is holding you to a higher standard?

people aren't harder on you than most.  it's all in your head. 

you are taking your life way too seriously. and you should stop it. 

if you don't like your job, find a new one. if you don't like how people treat you , speak up. 

YOU should be holding yourself to a higher standard, and stop allowing your notion of HOW you think people percieve you. 

and i really REALLY think this is better served to your therapist. 

we are not the right people to help. not at all. 

but you knew that. 

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe he's referring to his sister-in-law who is being ableist as holding him to an unreasonable standard.

Like you said, we're not the people to be giving advice because we don't know what she's saying, why she's saying it, and why he's being passed over for promotions.  He certainly could be experiencing prejudice in some form - it's just not our place to be deciding that or tell him what he needs to do.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe he's referring to his sister-in-law who is being ableist as holding him to an unreasonable standard.

Like you said, we're not the people to be giving advice because we don't know what she's saying, why she's saying it, and why he's being passed over for promotions.  He certainly could be experiencing prejudice in some form - it's just not our place to be deciding that or tell him what he needs to do.

Maybe not. Still, if he really is having to deal with a lot of prejudice and isn't just seeking attention from anywhere he can get it, he needs to stand up for himself and tell them to stop.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

ok.

well...he's describing what about 80% of us went through as children. 

my parental unit was verbally and physically abusive. for years, UNTIL I LEFT HOME AT 14. (no sad shit-it's just fucking life)

at 15 i had to figure out shit REAL quick.  

he's been on this kick for almost a decade now. 

with the same knuckleheads, (me included) giving him the same tired ass suggestions, that he ignores. 

i would say about 90% of the people HERE feel, in one way or another, inadequate. (me included)

yes, we come here to seek acceptance, but ghost...is just dropping the needle on the same, dusty album. 

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

But yeah I need to drop this It's i guess it's just hard to understand I work hard and I get nowhere and I see people blame others or do social engineering to advance

and I try to work hard to do the best I can and I get nowhere

you don't need to drop it. you need to face it, with your therapist. 

and what you're describing my man, is life.

i'm going to suggest you watch 'joe vs the volcano'. 

just do it. don't question it. just watch. 

• Thanks 2