UnevenEdge

mosquito season

Zero so far.  Lost a good friend in 2017 to West Nile Encephalitis. 

Komarno is the Ukrainian word for Mosquito.  Komarno, Ukraine is the town my great-grandfather's second wife came from.  Komarno, Manitoba, Canada has this -

image.png.6160b34d0ade3e06e05add2691d5f29c.png

• Like 3

18 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Zero so far.  Lost a good friend in 2017 to West Nile Encephalitis. 

Komarno is the Ukrainian word for Mosquito.  Komarno, Ukraine is the town my great-grandfather's second wife came from.  Komarno, Manitoba, Canada has this -

image.png.6160b34d0ade3e06e05add2691d5f29c.png

yeah they might be seen as a nuisance here but in other parts of the globe, these things kill something in the thousands, or possibly millions.

thats gotta be an interesting story. 

4 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I bought some repellent a few weeks ago, but I keep forgetting to use it. :LithiumSmileySad::LithiumSmileyLaugh:

I'm picky about mine.  I like the natural stuff, except that like most all-natural stuff it wears off pretty quickly and you have to keep reapplying.  But that means I keep it handy, I leave it by the door so I see it when I'm heading out.

Edited by Vela
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vela said:

I'm picky about mine.  I like the natural stuff, except that like most all-natural stuff it wears off pretty quickly and you have to keep reapplying.  But that means I keep it handy, I leave it by the door so I see it when I'm heading out.

I keep a can right beside my front door, and another can on my porch. I still don't ever see the damn things. :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vela said:

Lyme disease is big around here :LithiumSmileySad:

We found a tick inside the house.  It probably landed on us somehow.  Anyways, now I’m freaked out.  :LithiumSmileySad:

Edited by eklipse
Used wrong word, it was the red female of western black legged tick (California)
  • Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

like mud? :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

Lmao, like lemon oil and shit.  

Not literal shit, lol.  Yes, my insect repellent is mud and shit...it magically repels more than mosquitos too.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, eklipse said:

We found a deer tick inside the house.  It probably landed on us somehow.  Anyways, now I’m freaked out.  :LithiumSmileySad:

You can look up online adult vs. nymph and then look up what it looks like engorged to see if it actually fed on anyone.  It might have come in on someone's clothes, if it wasn't engorged then there's a good chance it didn't get the chance to feed on anyone.

Avoid long grass and bushes.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vela said:

Lmao, like lemon oil and shit.  

Not literal shit, lol.  Yes, my insect repellent is mud and shit...it magically repels more than mosquitos too.

i gotcha. my mind was with the hippos for some strange reason... dont want to elaborate further than that... im also sleepy :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i gotcha. my mind was with the hippos for some strange reason... dont want to elaborate further than that... im also sleepy :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

I don't think hippos need insect repellent, they have symbiotic relationships with birds for that kind of thing...maybe...I could be talking out of my ass xD  I'm really tired too.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Vela said:

You can look up online adult vs. nymph and then look up what it looks like engorged to see if it actually fed on anyone.  It might have come in on someone's clothes, if it wasn't engorged then there's a good chance it didn't get the chance to feed on anyone.

Avoid long grass and bushes.  

Thank you!  Omg, engorged ticks are so nasty.  The one we found wasn’t a nymph (adult female) and based on pics doesn’t seem like it fed (phew!). Thanks for the tips!! ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eklipse said:

Thank you!  Omg, engorged ticks are so nasty.  The one we found wasn’t a nymph (adult female) and based on pics doesn’t seem like it fed (phew!). Thanks for the tips!! ❤️❤️❤️

Oh, also I'm pretty sure only deer ticks carry lyme disease.

Just now, Distortedreasoning said:

you should probably go to sleep. and i should probably also go to sleep :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

You're not probably right, you are entirely right, I have to get up early for P.T. tomorrow.

Well.  Nighty night, may you dream of pastry hands and mosquito netting.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The_annoying_one said:

I said this 10 minutes ago, and I haven't touched the game since. Might just be a lost cause at this point.

Wanna see the article I wrote for my main player just now? (This is what I usually write.) Here it is. Hope you enjoy reading it. (My name over there is Coogmeister.)

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

Just now, eklipse said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately, California has our own tick that can carry Lyme too (ugh).  Wish we didn’t tho.  

AS someone who grew up in the rural part of the Houston area, I can also say we worried about ticks and stuff. Of course, my biggest worries were getting bitten by spiders (which happened once) and especially by venomous snakes. (I was bitten on my right foot by a copperhead when I was 12. it was a week before i started the seventh grade. Spent the night in the hospital, but didn't require any anti-venom at all. I got extremely lucky.)

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, eklipse said:

Thanks!  Unfortunately, California has our own tick that can carry Lyme too (ugh).  Wish we didn’t tho.  

Ohhhhhh, yeah I'm on the other coast.  Fricken everything's trying to kill us these days.  The sky, the water, the bugs in our back yards.

• Haha 1