UnevenEdge

I have paired this reunion bit with a rewatching of G.I.T.S.

Lasty

9001% nostalgiagasm.

I want to thank everyone for being here, and for all the work that is done to maintain the site so we can be.

This community has gotten me through some rough and strange times.

ありがとう
Edited by Lasty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, The_annoying_one said:

Not my fault if I get hungry sometimes…..

I can understand the lint; it's delicious, but my crumbs?

Spoiler

Whatever you're going through is normal under the conditions that led to it. Sometimes we need a reason to laugh in between life's various turns, intervals, and responsibilities, even if it's not otherwise productive.

• Thanks 1

I get that same nostalgia rush with The Real Folk Blues after an episode of Cowboy Bebop. Just that sense of "what a perfect way to end the night.

Or basically most of Trigun's soundtrack. Damn but does that slide guitar drag you right back to the past.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomicinumatt said:

GitS SAC is my shit and since it was airing around 2002-2005, it makes total sense to have a rewatch with the 20th anniversary of the boards 

You know it. Never get tired of re-watching that classic and try to do it from time to time (also with Bebop, Trigun, etc.)

7 hours ago, rpgamer said:

I get that same nostalgia rush with The Real Folk Blues after an episode of Cowboy Bebop. Just that sense of "what a perfect way to end the night.

Or basically most of Trigun's soundtrack. Damn but does that slide guitar drag you right back to the past.

Yup.

Edited by DangerMouse

On 5/30/2023 at 3:13 PM, Lasty said:

9001% nostalgiagasm.

I want to thank everyone for being here, and for all the work that is done to maintain the site so we can be.

ありがとう

cool oringal stand alone complex

On 5/30/2023 at 12:13 PM, Lasty said:

9001% nostalgiagasm.

ありがとう

i got a few sealab seasons and athf that would go well with this. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, Gemini said:

I have the original anime movie on DVD. It's definitely a classic!

The one from 1995 that the Matrix is a cheap rip-off of? Yes. It is indeed. Better than any iteration of the show, imo.

2 hours ago, Lasty said:

The one from 1995 that the Matrix is a cheap rip-off of? Yes. It is indeed. Better than any iteration of the show, imo.

More like the Matrix is an extremely expensive rip-off of, but yes.

1 minute ago, Gemini said:

More like the Matrix is an extremely expensive rip-off of, but yes.

The thought process was cheap, which cheapens the volume of money spent on it....   There's no way humans could power those robots without food that got energy from the sun. Everyone would have died in a generation or two. :LithiumSmileyIndifferent:

3 minutes ago, Lasty said:

The thought process was cheap, which cheapens the volume of money spent on it....   There's no way humans could power those robots without food that got energy from the sun. Everyone would have died in a generation or two. :LithiumSmileyIndifferent:

That's a fair point, but if I remember correctly, I learned in film school that we should suspend our disbelief in order to enjoy any kind of entertainment, visual or otherwise.

Just now, Gemini said:

That's a fair point, but if I remember correctly, I learned in film school that we should suspend our disbelief in order to enjoy any kind of entertainment, visual or otherwise.

Good films suspend disbelief on your behalf. Case and point: Lord of the Rings

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lasty said:

Good films suspend disbelief on your behalf. Case and point: Lord of the Rings

Absolutely. Same with the original Star Wars trilogy, although if one were to give a proper analysis of the plot, it could be described as "hokey" and "formulaic" to some degree.

Edited by Gemini

3 minutes ago, Lasty said:

Were it not for the bait and switch dualistic moralizing...

Yeah, I know. (I also amended my post to include that it could be hokey and formulaic if one did an honest analysis of the overall plot of the entire trilogy. Still, I enjoy it even to this day despite all of that. It may be due to nostalgia. I don't know.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Yeah, I know. (I also amended my post to include that it could be hokey and formulaic if one did an honest analysis of the overall plot of the entire trilogy. Still, I enjoy it even to this day despite all of that. It may be due to nostalgia. I don't know.)

Hard to argue with nostalgia. I'd like to see a different story in a different universe with a similar (nostalgic scifi) setting but written so it all makes sense....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lasty said:

Hard to argue with nostalgia. I'd like to see a different story in a different universe with a similar (nostalgic scifi) setting but written so it all makes sense....

If I could write it, I would. And if I could get someone to buy it, more importantly, I would start on it in a heartbeat.

2 minutes ago, Gemini said:

If I could write it, I would. And if I could get someone to buy it, more importantly, I would start on it in a heartbeat.

I feel like this needs a gofundme page, or something.

6 minutes ago, Lasty said:

I feel like this needs a gofundme page, or something.

No, it's okay. Besides, I'd need either Celtx or Final Draft in order to write it, and I don't feel like shelling out money for either app right now.

But thanks anyway. I greatly appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Gemini said:

No, it's okay. Besides, I'd need either Celtx or Final Draft in order to write it, and I don't feel like shelling out money for either app right now.

But thanks anyway. I greatly appreciate it.

eehhhh.... I could write myself, manually.... Already working on another project, though >,>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lasty said:

eehhhh.... I could write myself, manually.... Already working on another project, though >,>

Understood. Also, I'd have to take a little time to outline it and such so I'd be able to keep my place as I was writing the whole thing. I'd want this to be an expansive universe a la Star Wars or Doctor Who. (Yes, I know you're not a fan of Doctor Who, and that's okay.)

20 hours ago, Gemini said:

Understood. Also, I'd have to take a little time to outline it and such so I'd be able to keep my place as I was writing the whole thing. I'd want this to be an expansive universe a la Star Wars or Doctor Who. (Yes, I know you're not a fan of Doctor Who, and that's okay.)

Neither franchise is a bad concept; I just feel they were poorly executed. :disassociate:

5 minutes ago, Lasty said:

Neither franchise is a bad concept; I just feel they were poorly executed. :disassociate:

Well, in the case of Doctor Who, when you have to change your lead actor every so often, you need something to keep the show going. So they came up with the whole regeneration thing.

I'm not being smart when I say this so please don't take it that way: I'm sure you have your own plot resolution device. I'd like to hear about it.

27 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Well, in the case of Doctor Who, when you have to change your lead actor every so often, you need something to keep the show going. So they came up with the whole regeneration thing.

I'm not being smart when I say this so please don't take it that way: I'm sure you have your own plot resolution device. I'd like to hear about it.

For the sake of argument, I present the series: Dragonball. Everyone knows it went on for too long, and quality suffered proportional to the dragging it out as a result. Infinite sandbox settings are great for milking your audience, not good storytelling, generally. Dr. Who doesn't know when to end, it should have been a long time ago. It can be argued that a visceral fanbase can justify this behavior, but I feel this is only the case when the writers world building and writing skills enable the quality of the story to persist through the entirety of the arcs. Case and point: One Piece. It keeps going and isn't dropping off in quality because it was designed to go on that way, and this was done very well. I feel Dr Who's writers were more in the milking it category... If I were to dip into it, I'd do a stand alone movie that isn't cannon with the show and summarizes everything eloquently while leaving some of the dumber stuff out, but it's not worth it because Dr. Who is already too strung out and cheesy.... Dr Who is a sad piece of smelly string cheese abandoned many days ago by some long gone giddy school kid on vacation being pecked at by buzzards.

Edited by Lasty
the string cheese is being pecked at, not the kid, as funny as that would be